Mathematics- 36/80
Physics- 10/22
Engineering studies- 10/20
IPT- 5/40
School rank 390.

Thank you, :)

lusiv

HSC
Can someone tell me how they predict peoples ATAR. I would like to learn for myself.

ZeeZee3

HSC
I think 75 - 80.

People predict atar by how you rank accordingly to how your school is ranked. The logic here is that the middle student of a 10th ranked school is obviously more 'smarter' than the middle student of a 400th ranked school and will get the better atar, thus we predict how good your cohort is by the school rank and where you are ranked in your subjects in that school. Also, scaling can be taken in account to estimate the atar.

lusiv

HSC
But all i gave was the ranks. Do you guys assume that i would be getting 80% for all my subject or something ?

nephh22

HSC
Yeh guys, can i also can an ATAR estimate please...

Biology - 1/15
Advanced English - 2/10
Chemistry - 2/8
Modern History - 2/18
Mathematics (2U) - 4/6

School Rank - 468

Thanks in advance. :)

ZeeZee3

HSC
But all i gave was the ranks. Do you guys assume that i would be getting 80% for all my subject or something ?
No we dont assume nor do we estimate hsc marks. All atar estimates are very rough and brief, thats why people usually give atar ranges rather than an exact figure.

D94

HSC
N/A
No we dont assume nor do we estimate hsc marks. All atar estimates are very rough and brief, thats why people usually give atar ranges rather than an exact figure.
Well, you sort of are assuming. Schools ranks and marks are based off last year's cohort, so you're assuming this year's cohort will do as equally good/bad as the previous cohort. You also assume that for a certain subject in that school, a middle rank would be deemed not as good as a middle rank in a top 10 school, but this is pure speculation, and really, the marks could be the same and this cohort has done really well, so you have to assume an 80 mark or thereof. But yes, it's rough and all estimation.

Last edited:

lusiv

HSC
oh yeah i see. :)
Does ranks matter that much in your ATAR? What if i get average ranks for engineering, english and physics and get top 10 in IPT and math. While getting band 5 and 6 for all subjects except english band 4. Would I be able to achieve a 80+ with that ? :S

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
oh yeah i see. :)
Does ranks matter that much in your ATAR? What if i get average ranks for engineering, english and physics and get top 10 in IPT and math. While getting band 5 and 6 for all subjects except english band 4. Would I be able to achieve a 80+ with that ? :S
Your subject ranks determine your final internal marks. Your actual raw internal percentages count for little - just because you are on 90% internally does not necessarily mean that you will achieve a final mark of 90 internally.

lusiv

HSC
woops i mean While getting band 5 and 6 for all subjects except english band 4 in the HSC exam. my bad.

enoilgam

HSC
I'd say that a combination of band 5's and band 6's plus one band four should be enough for 80+. For a more accurate idea, try using an ATAR calculator.

lusiv

HSC
But the calculator doesn't take into consideration the ranks. LOL sorry for all the newbie questions.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
But the calculator doesn't take into consideration the ranks. LOL sorry for all the newbie questions.
You can only estimate and its not accurate I agree. +/- 2.000 or 3.000 marks.

enoilgam

HSC
An ATAR calculator is used for final marks. As for the ranks, you cannot definitively convert ranks into an ATAR. So if you want an estimate off final marks, an ATAR calculator is going to be more accurate than a human estimate. However, for ranks, only a person can make an estimate.

enoilgam

HSC
but the calculator doesn't take into consideration the ranks. LOL sorry for the newbie questions.
Thats why you use your ranks to estimate a final mark for that subject. Then you put that mark into the ATAR calculator. ATAR estimates are just that - estimates. They are guesses based on a variety of factors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)