assessment mark fail (1 Viewer)

duhdevitt

HSC
I was emailed my bio mark which was 36/50 and I thought I would get definitely above 45 and I even had time to look over my answers. It was worth 30%(so 15% towards atar), I didn't go to school cos I'm just not physically able to go cos I don't want to know if I came last or if I did really shit. I know I'll get replies saying try harder or something but I studied 4weeks straight for that assessment and I still do really bad. I don't know if its a mis type or he sent me someone else's mark I don't know
I just need some help (I know its not the end of the world but if I'm putting so much effort in what's the chance I'll do well in the other assessments)

buriza

conviction
HSC
Look at it this way. What's the chances of you doing well if you don't continue to put in effort? Probably rather low. I understand it can be demoralising to not receive the mark you expected, especially after you tried so hard, but to give up is not really a wise choice. I believe this would have been your first assessment block for the HSC year, so you still have a lot of time to improve, which includes going over where you went wrong and rising up in the ranks.

Talk to your teacher about your incorrect answers and think about whether one problem might be whether or not you are studying effectively. It's one thing to say you studied for four weeks straight, but was all that study truly effective? Sometimes if we study for too long of a period, what information we actually learn and retain can be affected. Having said that, consider your studying techniques as well.

Just keep on persisting and don't worry about your relative position in your class too much. You can only control how you do, not how others do. Always remember there's a lot of time left in the HSC year. Good luck! :)

duhdevitt

HSC
Look at it this way. What's the chances of you doing well if you don't continue to put in effort? Probably rather low. I understand it can be demoralising to not receive the mark you expected, especially after you tried so hard, but to give up is not really a wise choice. I believe this would have been your first assessment block for the HSC year, so you still have a lot of time to improve, which includes going over where you went wrong and rising up in the ranks.

Talk to your teacher about your incorrect answers and think about whether one problem might be whether or not you are studying effectively. It's one thing to say you studied for four weeks straight, but was all that study truly effective? Sometimes if we study for too long of a period, what information we actually learn and retain can be affected. Having said that, consider your studying techniques as well.

Just keep on persisting and don't worry about your relative position in your class too much. You can only control how you do, not how others do. Always remember there's a lot of time left in the HSC year. Good luck! :)
the way I studied was effective and I answered all the questions to the best of my ability and I don't know what else to do. I don't really want to do catchup in the Christmas holidays for bio

duhdevitt

HSC
Sometimes in tests I will think I did really well, however when my marks come back - they are crap. This is usually because of maybe a couple of questions that I misread or did not fully understand - which caused me to get them all wrong. Plus, if the test/assignment hasn't got a lot of questions then one wrong answer might be worth 5% or something like that.

Have a look at the actual paper, have you got it back yet? It will probably make sense why you did 'bad'. But 72% isn't really bad IMO. Probably average.

Over the holidays you don't have to catch up, but just make sure your notes are up to date and you can practise some past papers which may help you.
I didn't go to school today cos I feel like shit cos of my mark but I'll get it tomz. I don't believe I got 72%. Like I don't know its a really shit mark for something I thought I would get 90%+

Flop21

HSC
I didn't go to school today cos I feel like shit cos of my mark but I'll get it tomz. I don't believe I got 72%. Like I don't know its a really shit mark for something I thought I would get 90%+
Oh yeah, well take today to relax, don't stress do something fun.

Who knows, maybe everyone did crap? Or maybe the teacher was lazy and didn't mark your test properly. I know when I do bad I always add up all the marks and make sure I got the max marks I could lol.

Good luck

duhdevitt

HSC
Oh yeah, well take today to relax, don't stress do something fun.

Who knows, maybe everyone did crap? Or maybe the teacher was lazy and didn't mark your test properly. I know when I do bad I always add up all the marks and make sure I got the max marks I could lol.

Good luck
Most people got in the 40's and its killing me. I'm hoping he mis marked it cos there's no way

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I was emailed my bio mark which was 36/50 and I thought I would get definitely above 45 and I even had time to look over my answers. It was worth 30%(so 15% towards atar), I didn't go to school cos I'm just not physically able to go cos I don't want to know if I came last or if I did really shit. I know I'll get replies saying try harder or something but I studied 4weeks straight for that assessment and I still do really bad. I don't know if its a mis type or he sent me someone else's mark I don't know
I just need some help (I know its not the end of the world but if I'm putting so much effort in what's the chance I'll do well in the other assessments)
It's human to overestimate one's own abilities. There's plenty of cases where people achieved a mark that is much lower than what they expected. You wouldn't be the first person.

Try harder? That's an option, I guess. Study smarter? That's another option.

4 weeks straight? Well... sometimes, no matter how hard we tried - it just doesn't go as planned. Just try again. You have 70% left for internal assessments. It's better to do worse now than to bomb out in your trials or the HSC exam when the stakes are much higher.

So you're saying... since you put so much effort into this first assessment and it didn't go well... that it'll happen the next time as well? I don't think it works that way.

Every assessment is different. Who knows? Your luck might change next time. Also, think of it like this - if you put in less effort... it's very likely that you'll just do worse.

the way I studied was effective and I answered all the questions to the best of my ability and I don't know what else to do. I don't really want to do catchup in the Christmas holidays for bio
Maybe, it wasn't as effective as you thought it was?

The best of your ability? Well, improve your maximum ability for the next time!

When you get back your paper, find out where you went wrong.

Too many sillies? Get a better night's sleep next time.

Didn't answer the question verb properly? Know your question verbs for next time.

Didn't hit the main points? Memorise/understand the syllabus content better for next time.

Why wouldn't you want to do catch up? Even if you did well in this test, it's recommended that you should be revising/consolidating the first topic for Biology before moving onto the next topic.

Most people got in the 40's and its killing me. I'm hoping he mis marked it cos there's no way
Sometimes, things that can't happen... will happen. Things just happen like that.

Sure, since it was a 30% task, you'll have a hard time catching up (let alone overtake) those ahead of you in terms of internal ranks (unless they all slip up at one point later down the track). That's reality.

But what else can you do besides improving your work ethic?

iStudent

HSC
Don't be too surprised. This is biology and it is a science subject (science marking is HARSH). For these subjects it's not such much about how long you study or how hard you studied, but about how well you hit the marking criteria (I assume this is where you lost marks). A good way to resolve this problem is to look at the marking guidelines of past papers (like, go through a LOT of past papers). When I did the hsc, I went through 30+ just to get a good grasp of what type of key words, key phrases are required in every question for full marks. (but even then I still lost marks since it's difficult to predict what every question wants).

I would also go through multiple textbooks (although you probably have done that already). Pick out every aspect that is within the syllabus but is not covered by other textbooks and add these to your notes (if you made some) - because sometimes these are the pointers that you lost marks in.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
[1] IT IS NOT A FAIL!l. It is 72%, which is pretty good. Obviously I am guessing you go to a school that is very competitive, so probs. higher marks than that. Be happy with what you got. If you made silly mistakes, then room for improvement. Practice exam technique (i.e. do past papers in the time required). PRACTICE YOUR EXAM TECHNIQUE. Thats probably what let you done. You know your stuff well, but just do terrible at exams... in which case practice more exams.

[2] Correction: the assessment is 15% of your final HSC mark NOT ATAR and this does not take into account moderation.
(ATAR is like your rank in the state. 99.95 being the highest).

So you only lost 4.2% at most. And considering some schools scale the raw marks before sending off to BOS (I know mine - selective - did), and your school may also be aligned up, its not a fail.

[3] Better to do worst in first assessment then in trial etc.
[4] Get used to the marking. As mentioned, science marking is harsh, but also pedantic...
Thats because HSC is exactly like that. The difference between HSC and other years, is that you might be getting 100% up to Yr 11, then in the last 1-2 years of high school, the standard gets harder etc.
[5] Don't let your parent's expectations pressure you too much. (May be an impossible ask, for the asian)

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
If you keep that attitude, you're not gonna improve. You might think it's effective studying, but in reality it probably isn't since everybody beat you.

Plus part of the HSC is doing work over Christmas. It's not fun, but if you want to improve and get a good ATAR, it has to be done. It's what all the top achievers will be doing, and if you don't, you'll fall behind.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
you do have to study over the school holidays for HSC, sorry...

duhdevitt

HSC
Thanks guys but the way I studied for bio was like
1) Wirte notes for all Practicals
2) method,aim,results,RAV,variables
3) memorise them and understand why
4) Memorise the notes for the theory dot points, do
5) do HSC questions
6) Watched youtube videos
7) Emailed my teacher my responses and asked questions

I don't know how to make my study more effective :(

rexona <3

duhdevitt

HSC
[1] IT IS NOT A FAIL!l. It is 72%, which is pretty good. Obviously I am guessing you go to a school that is very competitive, so probs. higher marks than that. Be happy with what you got. If you made silly mistakes, then room for improvement. Practice exam technique (i.e. do past papers in the time required). PRACTICE YOUR EXAM TECHNIQUE. Thats probably what let you done. You know your stuff well, but just do terrible at exams... in which case practice more exams.

[2] Correction: the assessment is 15% of your final HSC mark NOT ATAR and this does not take into account moderation.
(ATAR is like your rank in the state. 99.95 being the highest).

So you only lost 4.2% at most. And considering some schools scale the raw marks before sending off to BOS (I know mine - selective - did), and your school may also be aligned up, its not a fail.

[3] Better to do worst in first assessment then in trial etc.
[4] Get used to the marking. As mentioned, science marking is harsh, but also pedantic...
Thats because HSC is exactly like that. The difference between HSC and other years, is that you might be getting 100% up to Yr 11, then in the last 1-2 years of high school, the standard gets harder etc.
[5] Don't let your parent's expectations pressure you too much. (May be an impossible ask, for the asian)
yeah my school is really competitive and most people got above 40

rexona <3

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks guys but the way I studied for bio was like
1) Wirte notes for all Practicals
2) method,aim,results,RAV,variables
3) memorise them and understand why
4) Memorise the notes for the theory dot points, do
5) do HSC questions
6) Watched youtube videos
7) Emailed my teacher my responses and asked questions

I don't know how to make my study more effective :(

rexona <3
work on exam technique, you seem to know your content...
(yeah I figured your school would be competitive, mine was)

In fact my school was so competitive, people would try to scab marks (even half marks, because they rounded up), so they could get a higher rank...

emilios

HSC
naw man sit down with the teacher and ask where exactly you lost marks. attempt to justify your response. i don't know how lenient your school is with that sort of thing but i appealed a lot of my assessment tasks and received higher marks as a result for most of them. ignore anyone that calls you a "scab" (i hate that word). teachers are human too, sometimes they overlook/misinterpret things.

if it turns out that that's you're final mark; i'm not going to pretend like it's not a big deal. receiving a result you're unhappy with after long and effective studying is one of the most demoralising things that could happen. it happened to me with my first creative writing task. you're human and it may take you a week or longer to fully get over this - i'm not gonna say it wouldn't affect me as well. but believe me, keep pushing through and soon enough you'll get that ace mark in an exam and that'll give you the momentum to keep going. a lot of the HSC is building momentum and confidence.

duhdevitt

HSC
naw man sit down with the teacher and ask where exactly you lost marks. attempt to justify your response. i don't know how lenient your school is with that sort of thing but i appealed a lot of my assessment tasks and received higher marks as a result for most of them. ignore anyone that calls you a "scab" (i hate that word). teachers are human too, sometimes they overlook/misinterpret things.

if it turns out that that's you're final mark; i'm not going to pretend like it's not a big deal. receiving a result you're unhappy with after long and effective studying is one of the most demoralising things that could happen. it happened to me with my first creative writing task. you're human and it may take you a week or longer to fully get over this - i'm not gonna say it wouldn't affect me as well. but believe me, keep pushing through and soon enough you'll get that ace mark in an exam and that'll give you the momentum to keep going. a lot of the HSC is building momentum and confidence.
Thanks but I'm just really pissed that it's gonna take even more hard work to get a higher rank. Like I don't know it's killing me a lot

rexona <3

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Thanks but I'm just really pissed that it's gonna take even more hard work to get a higher rank. Like I don't know it's killing me a lot

rexona <3
And once you put in that hard work you will reap the rewards you've been yearning

You'll be fine dude

duhdevitt

HSC
Hey guys , thanks for all your comments. I ended up being 18/44 which still I'm not happy with as I wanted to come first aha. But I didn't lose Any marks on the theory I just lost marks in
1) Being too general for my method (4marks)
2) not rubbing out my previous graph out properly, it was a BS mark but yeah(1)
3) scale I wrote 1mm instead of cm(1)
4) not relating back to aim for results(2)
5) variables mixed up(2)
6) couldn't read sentence(1)
7) some question (1)

but again thanks everyone for your help, means a lot :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)