Ask me anything! (1 Viewer)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
If you are a current HSC student (Yr 11-12) or you are going to be one (Yr 10) or anyone else in High School, feel free to ask any questions about the HSC whether it be studying, social or anything along those lines. I am someone who has completed my HSC and have done relatively well in all my subjects but in no means do I claim to be the 99.95er or someone with 999+ IQ however I will assert that I am someone who has been able to overcome a lot of challenges in the HSC in all aspects of life and achieve a goal I never planned on, from someone who could barely do the sine rule in Year 10 to getting E4s for X2, X1 WHILST having a good social life or as the kids say, touching GRASS.

A great perk of boredofstudies excluding trolling and shitposting has been asking senior years about their experience and avoiding common pitfalls. I doubt I would have done this well if I studied the way I thought of or went through the HSC with the mentality I had initally and speaking to those who underwent the HSC was helpful. I'd like to pay that favour back to users on this site and offer any relevant advice that I have gained through experience or from other people.

All my advice is purely from my experience and knowledge, and so for very important decisions (e.g do I drop Extension 2?), take my advice as a suggestion and as an influence than the word of god. I'll answer questions when I'm free so don't wait for me to respond to someone else's question, just drop it in the thread and I'll get back to you.

If you have any questions on subjects, I can be only of help in (Physics, Maths, English, Economics) since those were my subjects I did in Year 12.

This is the only thread I will not troll, and I encourage insight or discussion from other people whether it be the 2022 HSC cohort or 2000 HSC cohort. Feel free to PM me if necessary or post down here. Have a good HSC all!

Don't be afraid to ask any question! At worst you might get an unsatisfactory answer but at best you get something valuable. Take advantage of this help.

Last edited:

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I'd like to thank everyone on BOS whos interacted with me or helped. I've never told it but you guys were a big help in my initial studies. BOS had a positive impact on me overall and the environment is very chill and like-minded, whilst its easy to procrastinate, it always motivated me seeing other people who were aiming for the same thing.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Are you fatherless?

nah but fr tho u did eco
PLEASE HOW TF DO I DO ECONOMICS
please send me all ur eco resources i beg u i'll do anything

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
how did you study for physics and mx1?
Physics:

- Study Notes for each module. These notes would include key concepts e.g formulas as well as common errors e.g forgetting units made in the module. I would do this after mastering a module i.e being confident in doing qs and explaining it to someone else.

- StrivePhysics (@idkkdi pointed correct spelling out). It was extremely helpful in just grinding out physics qs. Really important to be able to get the routine questions down for physics since these are where the majority of marks lie in and being able to minimise silly errors, know common mistakes and different methods is vital if you're serious about a B6.

- Online physics resources. Often you'll get a poor physics teacher so knowing where to learn is beneficial. Personally I used stuff like scienceready physics, uni lectures on topics, yt videos on HSC physics and etc.

- Trying to explain what I'm learning. Being able to articulate what you know on physics is crucial for those short answer to long answer questions, first you need to have clarity in what you are saying to do this. Trying to explain physics concepts helps you understand if you truly understand it or you're just reciting textbook pages.

- Practicing succinct responses. Many people in Physics waste time on being verbose in their answers and don't realise it contributes negatively to the quality of their answer, when doing 5+ mark qs, I would draw a mini-map of what I would write;

> The content I am supposed to talk about e.g EM induction and break it down into X points
Point A:
> What laws I would need to cite e.g Faraday's law
> What equations this would entail e.g
> What terms I might need to explain e.g N is the number of coils,
Point B:

and so on, in this way I'd have a rough checklist and guide to follow when doing the question. I would allocate the first 5 mins after reading time just doing this for my long answer questions in Trials/HSC exam so when I reached that question I wouldn't forget any key points.

- Minimising silly mistakes. Ensuring that you frequently revise on questions you make errors on e.g torque questions will help you minimise silly mistakes and regularly reading them also gives you a mental reminder.

- Staying ~2-3 weeks ahead of physics content. There's no point learning 2 modules ahead if you'd forget it by the time you learn that module in class. A more helpful tracker would be to be ~3 weeks ahead of your class content so that at most you'd have enough time to master the class content you're learning by the time you reach it while also freshly learning future stuff.

- Treating physics practical skills seriously. Most people forget the practical side of Phys. and only focus on the theory which is a big mistake, make sure that you are well versed in the three variables, reliability, accuracy, controlled etc. and you know what are the possible errors, how to calculate percentage error, how to improve these variables etc. Its very simple to do but surprisingly people ignore this aspect and consequently lose marks they were given for free.

- Doing abstract physics Qs that appear in uni worksheets or from physics exams. Most of the time, you will see in the middle of the HSC Phys exam, content from different modules are required to be synthesised to respond to abstract physics Qs, this is prolly the hardest part of the HSC Phys exam and to be ready for this you need to not only be confident in the content but also experience solving these type of questions. They usually require you to start from a simple step e.g Keplers Third Law and then extend it further. Just having that experience and problem solving skill for these type of Qs is invaluable.

There's so much more but these are the ones i can remember off my head. I'll respond to MX1 later.

Last edited:

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
Physics:

- Study Notes for each module. These notes would include key concepts e.g formulas as well as common errors e.g forgetting units made in the module. I would do this after mastering a module i.e being confident in doing qs and explaining it to someone else.

- ThrivePhysics (or whatever the book was). It was extremely helpful in just grinding out physics qs. Really important to be able to get the routine questions down for physics since these are where the majority of marks lie in and being able to minimise silly errors, know common mistakes and different methods is vital if you're serious about a B6.

- Online physics resources. Often you'll get a poor physics teacher so knowing where to learn is beneficial. Personally I used stuff like scienceready physics, uni lectures on topics, yt videos on HSC physics and etc.

- Trying to explain what I'm learning. Being able to articulate what you know on physics is crucial for those short answer to long answer questions, first you need to have clarity in what you are saying to do this. Trying to explain physics concepts helps you understand if you truly understand it or you're just reciting textbook pages.

- Practicing succinct responses. Many people in Physics waste time on being verbose in their answers and don't realise it contributes negatively to the quality of their answer, when doing 5+ mark qs, I would draw a mini-map of what I would write;

> The content I am supposed to talk about e.g EM induction and break it down into X points
Point A:
Point B:

and so on, in this way I'd have a rough checklist and guide to follow when doing the question. I would allocate the first 5 mins after reading time just doing this for my long answer questions in Trials/HSC exam so when I reached that question I wouldn't forget any key points.

- Minimising silly mistakes. Ensuring that you frequently revise on questions you make errors on e.g torque questions will help you minimise silly mistakes and regularly reading them also gives you a mental reminder.

- Staying ~2-3 weeks ahead of physics content. There's no point learning 2 modules ahead if you'd forget it by the time you learn that module in class. A more helpful tracker would be to be ~3 weeks ahead of your class content so that at most you'd have enough time to master the class content you're learning by the time you reach it while also freshly learning future stuff.

- Treating physics practical skills seriously. Most people forget the practical side of Phys. and only focus on the theory which is a big mistake, make sure that you are well versed in the three variables, reliability, accuracy, controlled etc. and you know what are the possible errors, how to calculate percentage error, how to improve these variables etc. Its very simple to do but surprisingly people ignore this aspect and consequently lose marks they were given for free.

- Doing abstract physics Qs that appear in uni worksheets or from physics exams. Most of the time, you will see in the middle of the HSC Phys exam, content from different modules are required to be synthesised to respond to abstract physics Qs, this is prolly the hardest part of the HSC Phys exam and to be ready for this you need to not only be confident in the content but also experience solving these type of questions. They usually require you to start from a simple step e.g Keplers Third Law and then extend it further. Just having that experience and problem solving skill for these type of Qs is invaluable.

There's so much more but these are the ones i can remember off my head. I'll respond to MX1 later.
this was so detailed, thank you!

idkkdi

HSC
Physics:

- ThrivePhysics (or whatever the book was). It was extremely helpful in just grinding out physics qs. Really important to be able to get the routine questions down for physics since these are where the majority of marks lie in and being able to minimise silly errors, know common mistakes and different methods is vital if you're serious about a B6.

Point A:
Point B:

Strive* lmao

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Mathematics Extension 1:

- Finish as much as content possible. Unlike physics, Maths is much more optimal to speed through since the content is not as abstract but moreso grindy. MX1 is designed in a way it rewards maximum effort and so the earlier you grind out topics, the more comfortable you will be in your exams. Learning the content itself can be done easily in holiday breaks and in-class.

- Attempt as much questions possible. There's endless questions on the MX1 topic due to its very general nature, the topics you'll mainly do are Calculus, Trigonometry, Combinatorics, Statistics with a big emphasis on calculus. The best way to master these topics is by doing as much questions possible leading up to your exam. Do not MINDLESSLY grind, make sure that you understand what you are doing in each question and the method.

- Practice and study in timed conditions. You'll find the difficulty in MX1 for most people will lie in time management more than anything. It's vital you are able to solve routine questions extremely quickly and spare more time for the last couple of questions. This means that setting time deadlines e.g Finish Ch1 in 1 hr, will be a great way to get into this routine.

- Past Papers. This is the crux of succeeding in maths, I can not EMPHASISE the importance of past papers. If you are doing any MATHS, PAST PAPERS is your salvation, it is your best friend from start to end ~ ALWAYS PRIORITISE PAST PAPERS and MEMORISING THE SOLS. IF YOU EVER NEED TO CRAM OVER LEARNING CONTENT FOR THIS SUBJECT.

- Actively revise. This doesn't mean doing a full crash course on combinatorics every term, just being in touch with the general techniques e.g doing 2-3 binomial theorem qs in your free time, goes a long way to memory retention. You'll find that if you actively revise, you'll be more prepared in your trial revision and you don't have to waste your time studying at the end like most people.

- Compete with yourself. Always try to one-up yourself in math when doing practice exams. Record how you went in the exam, how you felt, did you find something you could've done before, any simple errors and then contemplate on this. After this, try to devise solutions to reduce such issues, for example if you're extremely nervous, perhaps playing music before the exam or just giving yourself 5 mins time to chill might be a temporary start. Always try to further optimise your strategies to this problem one-step at a time.

- Solve a challenge question every week. No need to solve the question but rather try to get yourself into trying to solve these questions, try to become more adept in applying different techniques and try to find links between topics. The better you are at finding links/leads to solving questions, the more likely you'll be able to bridge that Q16 gap.

- Consistency over cramming. Never cram for maths subjects, I'm 100% sure you can cop an easy 90 if you do cram regardless but you should never go through the stress or accept cramming. You're in your HSC year and you have to be methodological in your approach to the HSC. I learnt this the hard way with English despite getting near mid B6.

- Collaborate and Communicate. BOS is a great place to ask for help, I think this is the most chill and accepting study forum for HSC since everyone's not necessarily coming from the same place and that closure should break down any fears of a competitive circle. While BOS is known for its crazy trials, the community here is humble (at least from my experience). I honestly think this is a great place to make friends, I know @Lith_30, @Runhard and temporarylol as a result from this forum and we do chat regularly in a GC.

- Be smart. This isn't 4U, the level of difficulty is quite mediocre and really engages with people of low engagement with the subject (Just doing it for engineering etc.) to people who wish to pursue the mathematical sciences. Allocate your time effectively and utilise the nature of this subject a 1 unit course, focus on other subjects moreso english and ensure you're not dragged down by 3U.

- Enjoy! 3U is a great subject and should be a good test whether you're better off having more time for your other subjects in 2U or if you want to ramp up to 4U. Nothing wrong with doing 3U in the HSC itself, that's a popular choice and highly recommend it if you're somewhat interested in maths or you want to pursue a degree needing introductory math courses.

Note:
I will say that finishing Math1141 (Higher Maths 1A) and 1081 (Discrete) [UNSW] in the current term has made me appreciate 4U to a ridiculous extent, if you do plan to study Engineering (Hons) or Adv Science/Maths etc. I can not stress how helpful 4U is over 3U but do know you're not disadvantaged if you don't do 4U, it just means you have to put in a bit more effort than your peers. I'm sure this is similar in USYD and other unis but this can only be applied to my own course.

Last edited:

Memoria

HSC
If you are a current HSC student (Yr 11-12) or you are going to be one (Yr 10) or anyone else in High School, feel free to ask any questions about the HSC whether it be studying, social or anything along those lines. I am someone who has completed my HSC and have done relatively well in all my subjects but in no means do I claim to be the 99.95er or someone with 999+ IQ however I will assert that I am someone who has been able to overcome a lot of challenges in the HSC in all aspects of life and achieve a goal I never planned on, from someone who could barely do the sine rule in Year 10 to getting E4s for X2, X1 WHILST having a good social life or as the kids say, touching GRASS.

A great perk of boredofstudies excluding trolling and shitposting has been asking senior years about their experience and avoiding common pitfalls. I doubt I would have done this well if I studied the way I thought of or went through the HSC with the mentality I had initally and speaking to those who underwent the HSC was helpful. I'd like to pay that favour back to users on this site and offer any relevant advice that I have gained through experience or from other people.

All my advice is purely from my experience and knowledge, and so for very important decisions (e.g do I drop Extension 2?), take my advice as a suggestion and as an influence than the word of god. I'll answer questions when I'm free so don't wait for me to respond to someone else's question, just drop it in the thread and I'll get back to you.

If you have any questions on subjects, I can be only of help in (Physics, Maths, English, Economics) since those were my subjects I did in Year 12.

This is the only thread I will not troll, and I encourage insight or discussion from other people whether it be the 2022 HSC cohort or 2000 HSC cohort. Feel free to PM me if necessary or post down here. Have a good HSC all!
Might take a while but here goes, I'm currently in year 11 and I am wanting to achieve an Atar of 75+ and hoping to get an early entry offer (preferably unconditional) to either nursing or social work. The reason why i am not aiming for a high atar is due to the fact i dont wanna get hurt if i dont get a good atar and i have major anxiety so i figured aiming for a not so high atar might be beneficial. For year 10 last year out of the 8 subjects i did, i received 6 A's and two B's, i also got second in my cohort for science, third for english and pdhpe, fifth for maths 5.3. I go to a low ranking school which is roughly ranked in the late 400's/early 500's meaning there are minimal band 6's. I also have a pretty big anxiety and a depression problem and I want to relax and not be too harsh on myself for the hsc next year. For subjects like chem and bio I mainly focus on practice questions from the textbook and writing summaries (blurting). Am i on the right track? I also have significant anxiety around chemistry in particular as i have caught myself watching hour long videos learning year 12 content as i am intimidated by it. I also haven't made digital study notes for my subjects but i am going to dedicate 2 hours every night to do my study notes or flash cards. These holidays ive also been stressing about atars and the "what if i fail my prelims or trials". Is there any advice you could give me?

Much appreciated

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Mathematics Extension 1:

- Finish as much as content possible. Unlike physics, Maths is much more optimal to speed through since the content is not as abstract but moreso grindy. MX1 is designed in a way it rewards maximum effort and so the earlier you grind out topics, the more comfortable you will be in your exams. Learning the content itself can be done easily in holiday breaks and in-class.

- Attempt as much questions possible. There's endless questions on the MX1 topic due to its very general nature, the topics you'll mainly do are Calculus, Trigonometry, Combinatorics, Statistics with a big emphasis on calculus. The best way to master these topics is by doing as much questions possible leading up to your exam. Do not MINDLESSLY grind, make sure that you understand what you are doing in each question and the method.

- Practice and study in timed conditions. You'll find the difficulty in MX1 for most people will lie in time management more than anything. It's vital you are able to solve routine questions extremely quickly and spare more time for the last couple of questions. This means that setting time deadlines e.g Finish Ch1 in 1 hr, will be a great way to get into this routine.

- Past Papers. This is the crux of succeeding in maths, I can not EMPHASISE the importance of past papers. If you are doing any MATHS, PAST PAPERS is your salvation, it is your best friend from start to end ~ ALWAYS PRIORITISE PAST PAPERS and MEMORISING THE SOLS. IF YOU EVER NEED TO CRAM OVER LEARNING CONTENT FOR THIS SUBJECT.

- Actively revise. This doesn't mean doing a full crash course on combinatorics every term, just being in touch with the general techniques e.g doing 2-3 binomial theorem qs in your free time, goes a long way to memory retention. You'll find that if you actively revise, you'll be more prepared in your trial revision and you don't have to waste your time studying at the end like most people.

- Compete with yourself. Always try to one-up yourself in math when doing practice exams. Record how you went in the exam, how you felt, did you find something you could've done before, any simple errors and then contemplate on this. After this, try to devise solutions to reduce such issues, for example if you're extremely nervous, perhaps playing music before the exam or just giving yourself 5 mins time to chill might be a temporary start. Always try to further optimise your strategies to this problem one-step at a time.

- Solve a challenge question every week. No need to solve the question but rather try to get yourself into trying to solve these questions, try to become more adept in applying different techniques and try to find links between topics. The better you are at finding links/leads to solving questions, the more likely you'll be able to bridge that Q16 gap.

- Consistency over cramming. Never cram for maths subjects, I'm 100% sure you can cop an easy 90 if you do cram regardless but you should never go through the stress or accept cramming. You're in your HSC year and you have to be methodological in your approach to the HSC. I learnt this the hard way with English despite getting near mid B6.

- Collaborate and Communicate. BOS is a great place to ask for help, I think this is the most chill and accepting study forum for HSC since everyone's not necessarily coming from the same place and that closure should break down any fears of a competitive circle. While BOS is known for its crazy trials, the community here is humble (at least from my experience). I honestly think this is a great place to make friends, I know @Lith_30, @Runhard and temporarylol as a result from this forum and we do chat regularly in a GC.

- Be smart. This isn't 4U, the level of difficulty is quite mediocre and really engages with people of low engagement with the subject (Just doing it for engineering etc.) to people who wish to pursue the mathematical sciences. Allocate your time effectively and utilise the nature of this subject a 1 unit course, focus on other subjects moreso english and ensure you're not dragged down by 3U.

- Enjoy! 3U is a great subject and should be a good test whether you're better off having more time for your other subjects in 2U or if you want to ramp up to 4U. Nothing wrong with doing 3U in the HSC itself, that's a popular choice and highly recommend it if you're somewhat interested in maths or you want to pursue a degree needing introductory math courses.

Note:
I will say that finishing Math1141 (Higher Maths 1A) and 1081 (Discrete) [UNSW] in the current term has made me appreciate 4U to a ridiculous extent, if you do plan to study Engineering (Hons) or Adv Science/Maths etc. I can not stress how helpful 4U is over 3U but do know you're not disadvantaged if you don't do 4U, it just means you have to put in a bit more effort than your peers. I'm sure this is similar in USYD and other unis but this can only be applied to my own course.
now we need 4u guys and ECONOMICS GUIDE PLS PLS ENECO

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Might take a while but here goes, I'm currently in year 11 and I am wanting to achieve an Atar of 75+ and hoping to get an early entry offer (preferably unconditional) to either nursing or social work. The reason why i am not aiming for a high atar is due to the fact i dont wanna get hurt if i dont get a good atar and i have major anxiety so i figured aiming for a not so high atar might be beneficial. For year 10 last year out of the 8 subjects i did, i received 6 A's and two B's, i also got second in my cohort for science, third for english and pdhpe, fifth for maths 5.3. I go to a low ranking school which is roughly ranked in the late 400's/early 500's meaning there are minimal band 6's. I also have a pretty big anxiety and a depression problem and I want to relax and not be too harsh on myself for the hsc next year. For subjects like chem and bio I mainly focus on practice questions from the textbook and writing summaries (blurting). Am i on the right track? I also have significant anxiety around chemistry in particular as i have caught myself watching hour long videos learning year 12 content as i am intimidated by it. I also haven't made digital study notes for my subjects but i am going to dedicate 2 hours every night to do my study notes or flash cards. These holidays ive also been stressing about atars and the "what if i fail my prelims or trials". Is there any advice you could give me?

Much appreciated
70 ATAR is considered the average ATAR so don't worry, you'll be fine given you're this committed relative to the general cohort of students. The fact you're doing chemistry and biology while also putting the effort in is IMO more than good for achieving 80 ATAR. Don't stress, you got it, just keep at it with your plan.

> Use anki for memorisation
> Try making notes after you're confident in your subject
> Incorporate some advice I gave for 3u and physics, it will be relevant to chemistry and biology since they are sciences

You'll do fine. Early entry's very merciful.

Last edited:

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
English adv guide? Economics guide? 4u guide?
Shiii I'll just do another thread with all the subjects advice when I'm free lol.

Accepting any other non-subject guide Qs below. I'll eventually do a guide for each subject. Feel free to ask specific subject Qs.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
Shiii I'll just do another thread with all the subjects advice when I'm free lol.

Accepting any other non-subject guide Qs below. I'll eventually do a guide for each subject. Feel free to ask specific subject Qs.
Make one on how to stop procrastinating on BOS and discord and yt bruh

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

God Did
HSC
Given you're THE ExtremelyBoredUser, what are your tips on dealing with procrastination etc?

Last edited:

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Given you're the ExtremelyBoredUser, what are your tips on dealing with procrastination etc?
You're asking a gambling addict how he would manage his finances. You sure I'm the right person ;) ? Can't say I'm fully disciplined.

> Completing work 1 week before a deadline
> Fear of failing
> Giving myself rest days to chill out
> Activating my discipline through performing a morning ritual (Doing my bed, doing pushups and weights, praying to god etc.) which gives me a sense of clarity of mind before studying

But ultimately, I AM THE BOREDUSER (extremely bored to add)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
You guys are free to ask me anything about university or other stuff related to studying but do note I am very fresh to my program as I have only completed T1 of my first year

Last edited:

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
You guys are free to ask me anything about university or other stuff related to studying but do note I am very fresh to my program as I have only completed T1 of my first year
How was your first term of uni?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)