Ask me anything! (1 Viewer)

=)(=

HSC
Bro the naming of things in mod 8 phys is acc a troll, got things called, 'Dees (nuts may i humbly add )' got the pp chain honestly nesa trying to screw with us hahah

Anaya R

HSC
Note:
I will say that finishing Math1141 (Higher Maths 1A) and 1081 (Discrete) [UNSW] in the current term has made me appreciate 4U to a ridiculous extent, if you do plan to study Engineering (Hons) or Adv Science/Maths etc. I can not stress how helpful 4U is over 3U but do know you're not disadvantaged if you don't do 4U, it just means you have to put in a bit more effort than your peers. I'm sure this is similar in USYD and other unis but this can only be applied to my own course.
Definitely at USYD. A lot of the 1st year math topics overlap with the Ext 2 syllabus and while I wasn't great in the HSC for MX2, it did expose me to the topics in uni.
Saying that, they should add matrices to the MX2 syllabus.

jonhysmitw2

HSC
How did you study for longer than an hour without getting bored or checking ur phone or something?

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
How did you study for longer than an hour without getting bored or checking ur phone or something?
This is different for everyone. If you can't study for an hour straight, then try to study in small blocks (30 mins) (10 mins break) and you can maintain some sense of consistency and build up to say studying 1-2 hrs straight over time.

Last edited:

jonhysmitw2

HSC
How would you study for internal maths tests that only cover like 2-4 topics? Cause doing the entire trial paper as practice seems kind of pointless if u only need to cover certain topics.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
How would you study for internal maths tests that only cover like 2-4 topics? Cause doing the entire trial paper as practice seems kind of pointless if u only need to cover certain topics.
I'm sure you can find some internal papers on THSC for maths and do those, however some might be irrelevant and not structured similarly. Internal math tests, excluding Half Yearly + Trials, are quite easy anyways so I would just grind cambridge/terry lee qs till i was confident. Alternatively you can just attempt questions from past papers relevant to your topic.

jonhysmitw2

HSC
By Cambridge questions do you mean just the challenge section or development as well? Additionally would u also finish all the chapter reviews?

carrotsss

HSC
Ask your teacher/this website for past papers from that topic

indeed

HSC
If you are a current HSC student (Yr 11-12) or you are going to be one (Yr 10) or anyone else in High School, feel free to ask any questions about the HSC whether it be studying, social or anything along those lines. I am someone who has completed my HSC and have done relatively well in all my subjects but in no means do I claim to be the 99.95er or someone with 999+ IQ however I will assert that I am someone who has been able to overcome a lot of challenges in the HSC in all aspects of life and achieve a goal I never planned on, from someone who could barely do the sine rule in Year 10 to getting E4s for X2, X1 WHILST having a good social life or as the kids say, touching GRASS.

A great perk of boredofstudies excluding trolling and shitposting has been asking senior years about their experience and avoiding common pitfalls. I doubt I would have done this well if I studied the way I thought of or went through the HSC with the mentality I had initally and speaking to those who underwent the HSC was helpful. I'd like to pay that favour back to users on this site and offer any relevant advice that I have gained through experience or from other people.

All my advice is purely from my experience and knowledge, and so for very important decisions (e.g do I drop Extension 2?), take my advice as a suggestion and as an influence than the word of god. I'll answer questions when I'm free so don't wait for me to respond to someone else's question, just drop it in the thread and I'll get back to you.

If you have any questions on subjects, I can be only of help in (Physics, Maths, English, Economics) since those were my subjects I did in Year 12.

This is the only thread I will not troll, and I encourage insight or discussion from other people whether it be the 2022 HSC cohort or 2000 HSC cohort. Feel free to PM me if necessary or post down here. Have a good HSC all!

Don't be afraid to ask any question! At worst you might get an unsatisfactory answer but at best you get something valuable. Take advantage of this help.
Thanks for doing this!

What's something you wish you knew about uni entry (especially early entry, scholarships etc.) when you were in around term 1/2 yr 12

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Thanks for doing this!

What's something you wish you knew about uni entry (especially early entry, scholarships etc.) when you were in around term 1/2 yr 12
Early entry's only open to disadvantaged schools but its a killer offer since its often a 10 point ATAR reduction meaning that you're basically guaranteed a position and on top of that you get paid for going through the scheme.

Scholarships make getting a high ATAR greatly worth it as well as the opportunities and schemes given to high ATAR achievers (99+), this means you have greater opportunities to experience the academic side of uni way earlier than most students.

The pace of uni makes HSC look like a joke, if you're not well prepared for your course you will really get grinded. A term of uni is like the stress and content of the HSC compacted into 10 weeks.

ATAR doesn't mean anything. What school you went, the prestige of it, etc. all this stuff people obsess over in the HSC years vanishes by the start of uni. No need to worry about feeling like you're not good enough or you're not as competent as students from "top schools". You'll meet a lot of international students and so on so Uni is really a different vibe.

Self studying is a super important skill to hone before entering uni. Uni is an institution/business and your courses are simply just that, a product, you're not going to school where your teacher cares about if you come on time, study habits etc. thats on you to figure out how to get help. For all intensive purposes you're on your own if you don't know how to manage yourself and your studies.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Early entry's only open to disadvantaged schools but its a killer offer since its often a 10 point ATAR reduction meaning that you're basically guaranteed a position and on top of that you get paid for going through the scheme.

Scholarships make getting a high ATAR greatly worth it as well as the opportunities and schemes given to high ATAR achievers (99+), this means you have greater opportunities to experience the academic side of uni way earlier than most students.

The pace of uni makes HSC look like a joke, if you're not well prepared for your course you will really get grinded. A term of uni is like the stress and content of the HSC compacted into 10 weeks.

ATAR doesn't mean anything. What school you went, the prestige of it, etc. all this stuff people obsess over in the HSC years vanishes by the start of uni. No need to worry about feeling like you're not good enough or you're not as competent as students from "top schools". You'll meet a lot of international students and so on so Uni is really a different vibe.

Self studying is a super important skill to hone before entering uni. Uni is an institution/business and your courses are simply just that, you're not going to school where your teacher cares about if you come on time, study habits etc. thats on you to figure out how to get help. For all intensive purposes you're on your own if you don't know how to manage yourself and your studies.
can u make a mx2 and eco guide plss
specifically focusing on how mx2 is different to ur tips for mx1 which u already made
for eco just about current events and idk how to like stay upto date with the news sorta

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
can u make a mx2 and eco guide plss
specifically focusing on how mx2 is different to ur tips for mx1 which u already made
for eco just about current events and idk how to like stay upto date with the news sorta
I'll do it when I'm free, I'll do it in perhaps 2 weeks but rn i have some exams in a week. I'll make a seperate thread for this.

indeed

HSC

Self studying is a super important skill to hone before entering uni. Uni is an institution/business and your courses are simply just that, a product, you're not going to school where your teacher cares about if you come on time, study habits etc. thats on you to figure out how to get help. For all intensive purposes you're on your own if you don't know how to manage yourself and your studies.
Oh ok, thank you for the tips and extra knowledge!

dav53521

HSC
That may be for some unis however, for unis like Macquarie and UTS they do open their early to those who aren't disadvantaged and also some unis do offer unconditional offers to students (even those who aren't disadvantaged).

I personally would recommend looking at the uni's early entry schemes and SRS to see if you should apply for early entry or not. Also you should look at what the early entry requirements for each uni are for example I believe Macquarie has unconditional while UTS has an ATAR requirement.

indeed

HSC
That may be for some unis however, for unis like Macquarie and UTS they do open their early to those who aren't disadvantaged and also some unis do offer unconditional offers to students (even those who aren't disadvantaged).

I personally would recommend looking at the uni's early entry schemes and SRS to see if you should apply for early entry or not. Also you should look at what the early entry requirements for each uni are for example I believe Macquarie has unconditional while UTS has an ATAR requirement.
Oh ok thanks!

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC

Sorry I was speaking for UNSW early entry, I should've made that clear. I'm not sure about other unis entry schemes as much.

carrotsss

HSC

Yeah pretty much every uni except for unsw and usyd have an early entry scheme like that, and imo you might as well apply for all of them (I am)

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
If you are a current HSC student (Yr 11-12) or you are going to be one (Yr 10) or anyone else in High School, feel free to ask any questions about the HSC whether it be studying, social or anything along those lines. I am someone who has completed my HSC and have done relatively well in all my subjects but in no means do I claim to be the 99.95er or someone with 999+ IQ however I will assert that I am someone who has been able to overcome a lot of challenges in the HSC in all aspects of life and achieve a goal I never planned on, from someone who could barely do the sine rule in Year 10 to getting E4s for X2, X1 WHILST having a good social life or as the kids say, touching GRASS.

A great perk of boredofstudies excluding trolling and shitposting has been asking senior years about their experience and avoiding common pitfalls. I doubt I would have done this well if I studied the way I thought of or went through the HSC with the mentality I had initally and speaking to those who underwent the HSC was helpful. I'd like to pay that favour back to users on this site and offer any relevant advice that I have gained through experience or from other people.

All my advice is purely from my experience and knowledge, and so for very important decisions (e.g do I drop Extension 2?), take my advice as a suggestion and as an influence than the word of god. I'll answer questions when I'm free so don't wait for me to respond to someone else's question, just drop it in the thread and I'll get back to you.

If you have any questions on subjects, I can be only of help in (Physics, Maths, English, Economics) since those were my subjects I did in Year 12.

This is the only thread I will not troll, and I encourage insight or discussion from other people whether it be the 2022 HSC cohort or 2000 HSC cohort. Feel free to PM me if necessary or post down here. Have a good HSC all!

Don't be afraid to ask any question! At worst you might get an unsatisfactory answer but at best you get something valuable. Take advantage of this help.
this is legendary... helping out other bos'ers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)