• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Are people interested in doing marketing anymore? (1 Viewer)

HSC
danielvh said:
Yeah, that's the problem. I have 3 of those "I can talk enthusiastically about it in a bar" areas (and the sad thing is that I do!!). Those 3 are international relations, economics and management. I wouldn't do marketing just because it complements those, I'd do it because I have a genuine interest in it (which I do) and who knows, maybe that's what I'd end up doing. Plus, keeping my options open is a priority since I'm in 1st year of a 4.5 (possibly 5.5) year degree.

I have actually done a lot of research into management consulting and I know that marketing wouldn't be a great help. I was thinking more to the stage when I hopefully move into the actual management sector that marketing would be of help. Although, then I suppose that actual experience will far outweigh any uni major.
dude you're doing 5 majors and thinking you can do more? dunno how your uni works but damn that's pretty hardcore. i might not even do a double major because i want to count some of my IT subjects as a submajor or electives and hopefully do a language/foundations in law submajor.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Chris. said:
when will this "guide" be put out lol.

u could ask the mod to sticky it sumwhere
Doubt that there's enough demand to substantiate making it sticky. Most people on here will want to do accounting, etc. I could keep it bumped though. The guide should be written in the next few weeks

AsyLum said:
I thought I'd like marketing, but PR stole my heart
PR is a subsection of marketing. Plus it's also orsum, but very demanding.

danielvh

HSC
**freakstar87** said:
dude you're doing 5 majors and thinking you can do more? dunno how your uni works but damn that's pretty hardcore. i might not even do a double major because i want to count some of my IT subjects as a submajor or electives and hopefully do a language/foundations in law submajor.
I'm currently doing 4. Marketing would make it 5.

Basically, I can do this because I'm doing an Economics and Commerce double degree, 4.5 years instead of 3, and a lot of the units overlap with eachother between the degree. For example, for my management major I have to do 4 core units above level1 andd 2 option units above level one. One of those options is Asian Business Contexts which I'm already doing in my Asian Business Major. Most unis around Aus work like this for Economics and Commerce double I think. (I'm at UWA btw).

If I didn't do another major on top of the four I'd have to just do like 5 level 1 arts units instead as electives :p Why do that when I'm interested in marketing or human resource management and can add (an admittedly small) amount of employability by doing 1 more major?

ahallam2

HSC
At my uni (swinburne), there are heaps of people doing marketing. From the people I have spoken to, I think a lot are doing it for the wrong reasons. It seems like they want to have a 'real job' and go to work in a suit and make decent money. However, after the introductory maths unit of the business degree, they shit brix and look for any major that doesnt involve maths.

Obviously this doesnt apply to people like stazi and others who have a genuine passion for marketing, but I worry about people who may be doing it for the wrong reasons. At least with an Accounting degree you are virtually guaranteed a job as an accountant somewhere. If you have mediocre grades and no passion for marketing, theres hardly any chance at getting a proper marketing job and your likely to end up in telemarketing etc and not use your degree.

ahallam2

HSC
**freakstar87** said:
:bomb: thanks...so i'll be unemployed or do sales rep or telemarketing if i do marketing?
Not if you are relatively passionate, have very good social and presentation skills and get some work experience while at uni. I have heard its a difficult profession to get a good grad job.

Refer to stazi's experience applying for P&G in the internship thread. Look at what he had to do to get into P&G :eek:

This shouldnt put you off though. If you really like marketing, you should do it - but be aware of what you need to do now to get a good grad position.

EDIT: P&G is the pinnacle of marketing and it is perhaps unfair to make a generalisation based on that - my point is that as undergrads, we need to be doing things during our degree to make us stand out in our field... especially you marketers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris.

HSC
this thread has inspired me lol

now to repair the damage of shit 1st year marks and a failed subject...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i am extremely sorry for the delay, but I've been very busy at work. I'll try to find some quiet time very soon.

my apologies, again

blOwfish

HSC
stazi said:
i am extremely sorry for the delay, but I've been very busy at work. I'll try to find some quiet time very soon.

my apologies, again
I dont get that reply.. Are you saying you've been busy with work and havent had time helping others answering queries?

Btw, hows work treating you?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yep, I've been very busy with work and thus haven't had time to put together a guide for you guys.

Work is awesome, although I'm not at P&G yet: I'm currently working for a marketing/advertising agency. It's loads of fun.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
2/3rds complete

edit: i'm charging $5 for this guide.

edit2: not really, but i should be.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
My degree is combined Advertising / Law, I found it fairly surprising that in a job interview recently at a big city firm they were actually very interested in the knowledge I'd picked up as a part of advertising (I just did it out of personal interest) and how I see the branding of their company / ideas I might have for it. This may have just been a good segue to some questions but I spose it underscores the value businesses place on understanding their market in our market economy, no matter what job you're going for.

princesscal

Banned
HSC
I find marketing fascinating, and I think the path I want to follow is pretty similar to yours stas.

I want to do a B. Comm (Liberal Studies) majoring in marketing, psych and something else at USYD then go from there, it seems like a really interesting career path at least.

loser101

HSC
Chris. said:
Im doing a Economics degree at unsw, majoring in economics and marketing. I only chose marketing because it was the most interesting major out of all the others. I never even considered the job prospects.
I would never major in accounting no matter how many jobs are available, its too fukn boring.
If i ever got a job in marketing, i would rather be a marketing researcher instead of marketers who make creative commercials and such.

But its not looking good for me, i failed one subject in the first semester and i have no job experience yet.
looks like your going to be working in a call center when you graduate. yeah thats real exciting compared to accounting lol :D

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Ashmobs said:
6 blades?

That's obscene.
What will follow next?

7-8-9-10?

Designed to cut your face like a rake.

day26.org

HSC
N/A
i am a marketing major, i want to do qualitative market research or advertising. i am almost dont w/ school. i cant wait to get into the marketing world!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)