• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Are people interested in doing marketing anymore? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Is it just me, or are less people taking marketing? I remember when there was more discussion in this forum about marketing and that the number of people taking marketing subjects were higher (and this is only 2 years ago).

Who, here, wants to be a marketer, or advertiser?

What are your career interests?

etc.

Monstar

HSC
For me it was a toss up between Eco/Marketing or Accounting/Finance. I opted for the second. Marketing seems a bit wishy washy.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
That's an interesting line of reasoning. Most people I know seem to have chosen the latter option because unless you're great at marketing, it's difficult to find a highly-paid job, whilst work is always available for accountants.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
There isn't much link, but then again some economic knowledge would be relevant. For example, things like supply and demand calculation would be very relevant to brand managers.
Typically, a marketing student should do:
a Major in Marketing
First-year Accounting
First-year Psychology

stazi

Nightman
HSC
bump: I may write up a 'what is marketing' guide to promote the discipline a bit. It seems that most students (even second and third-years) don't really understand what marketing actually is. Would others be interested in such a guide?

*hopeful*

HSC
Yeh i'd read the guide stazi...im actually tossing up wether to transfer out of my 3rd yr of an accounting major in a commerce degree to a marketing major instead but not because i want to be a marketer, im studying hr as well and want to work in that field and hate accounting so i think i'd like studying marketing more... so its confusion all round *fun*

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well, if you're enjoying HR it's quite likely that you'd enjoy marketing a lot more than accounting (i don't know how someone can really find accounting fun :p). How many years is your degree for?

*hopeful*

HSC
its a 4 yr degree, im a bit behind so changing majors wouldnt really make that much of a difference (in terms of when i'd finish etc)

i've done a few marketing subs along the way and they were ten times more interesting than accounting, thats for sure!

HSC
hey stazi
would definitely like a guide for marketing for sure. have no idea what major i want. tbh i would rather do graduate law.

also if anyone here knows alot about HR or international business, that would be helpful too. too many accounting finance stuff.
i think at UTS, marketing is the 3rd most popular major behind the usual. i'm more concerned on why very few people are doing HR (apart from it being available at TAFE and such). i would love to do HR along with a language or foundations in law sub major.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
HR can be very dry and theory-based. Also, it involves very long working hours.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
i am in my 2nd year of an advertising / marketing major as part of a media and communications degree and enjoy the fact that its not very heavily based in economics (with the exception of supply and demand like you mentioned and things like customer lifetime /value) so much as market trends.

I find marketing to be very 'how things work' and concept based - and there are definite links to psychology. We've covered a lot of theory this semester in services marketing, and being much stronger in english than maths, I enjoy this type of approach.

HSC
i didn't enjoy business statistics at all. and i know there's one subject in the marketing major that involves quantitative marketing. is the whole major somewhat based on statistics?
also what careers are there in marketing that is not sales rep, doorknocking sales or telemarketing because i really don't want those type of jobs. i noticed brand marketing and promo seems to be sales based so i dunno. also are marketing jobs commission based?

i had no idea HR has long working hours. how long? dunno about the dryness. i thought accounting seems pretty dry judging from my experience doing accounting transactions this sem and alot of people seems to wanna do it.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
nope the major doesn't involve much statistics. most unis require one marketing research subject. However, this subject should be split up into qualitative (e.g. focus groups) and quantitative areas, with about a 50/50 split. It is important to understand how the research works, as you will be using it as a brand manager, or even as a creative in an advertising agency.

brand management and promotions isn't sales based at all. Sales is sales-based.

As a brand manager, I will have to coordinate all activities necessary for sales to occur. For example, I would aid a new products development team in making a new Gilette razor with six razor blades. I would then talk to my marketing research (the stats people) team to analyse whether or not it will ultimately sell. Next, I would develop a marketing plan (i.e. set a pricing strategy, the target market, how much money should go to advertising, etc.) I would then start on working on an advertising strategy and develop a brief for my advertising agency, so that they can actually make the ads based on my brand ideas. Finally, I will prepare and train the sales staff to sell the products to Woolworths, Big W, Coles, corner stores, etc.

So, no, the typical jobs you will work on with a marketing major, won't be commission-based (although you will get bonuses based on performance, like in most other jobs, regardless of industry).

Accounting is more practical though, as the theory is quite basic. Also, accounting is 'popular' because it offers the most secure job opportunities (thousands of accountants are hired each year vs. only tens of marketers). Out of what is more boring, I would consider accounting, but in terms of actual practical knowledge, people studying accounting majors would tend to develop more, based on my observations.

I don't recall the exact working hours for HR, but i recall that they were longer than for most other occupations.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah but you're a woman and not emo. clearly the product would be marketed at emos. the 6th blade is for trimming your wrists.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh thanks honey :eek: but it all depends on how far you want to take it ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)