• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Are people interested in doing marketing anymore? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
**freakstar87** said:
i didn't enjoy business statistics at all. and i know there's one subject in the marketing major that involves quantitative marketing. is the whole major somewhat based on statistics?
also what careers are there in marketing that is not sales rep, doorknocking sales or telemarketing because i really don't want those type of jobs. i noticed brand marketing and promo seems to be sales based so i dunno. also are marketing jobs commission based?

i had no idea HR has long working hours. how long? dunno about the dryness. i thought accounting seems pretty dry judging from my experience doing accounting transactions this sem and alot of people seems to wanna do it.
I actually should also mention that doorknocking sales or telemarketing is something you should never have to do for full-time work upon graduation, although I would highly recommend some experience in that whilst you're at uni, as it will help you understand the needs of the consumer, and how you can vary your pitch on a personal level to encourage sales.

However, field sales is a probability, as some graduate programs actually make this compulsory (e.g. Unilever's). However, sales at this level isn't what you think. Basically, you would interact with different businesses, such as corner stores, persuading them to stock the company's product. To do so, you would formulate a unique pitch to each store. For example, let's say you have Lipton Iced Tea.

Chong's Groceries only stocks Nestea. However, you know that Lipton outsells Nestea by something like four-to-one. So, you would use this as a pitch. You also have the freedom to change the price and the quantity sent to Chong.

Another element of this job, is persuading larger retailers to accept your promotional tactics. Remember the advertising agency and the brand manager could think of a fantastic campaign. However, if Woolworths refuses to use any elements of the campaign in-store, all the money your managers have spent have gone to waste. Ultimately, your job is to actually reach the customer in the store by negotiating with its owners.

Most people don't tend to stay in this area of sales, although some people fall in love with it, and don't even want to go to brand management. The main reason for this is a sense of ownership. You know how many millions dollars of revenue you are directly responsible for: e.g. I was talking to a guy working in sales for Unilever (Lipton Iced Tea) and he increased their sales revenue by something like $20 million whilst he was just in the grad program.

pete_mate

HSC
haha i remember those people. I worked in computer sales at a harvey norman/bing lee etc. type place and there was this Lexmark rep that would come by every couple of months to try and get us to like lexmarks and promote them.

But the thing is, lexmarks are shit, there's no way you can spin it, the ink is like $40 and they break down constantly. There's no marketing or sales that can change that.

She left pamphlets and crap and we'd just bin them.

Tho you probably wouldn't get that job with a degree right?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
You may get that job if you want it. Also, as has been said, the company may make you do a mandatory 12 months or so in a similar position to this as part of their graduate program. The skills you learn are actually very good for working in upper marketing (non-sales) positions.

kow_dude

HSC
I've always wanted to get into a marketing related position.

But i've chosen to major in accounting and finance (which i greatly regret) because i've always had the mentality that marketing is too competitive and it would be more realistic/achieveable if i just aim for an accounting position.

But i've reached to this point where i can no longer stand accounting/finance because i'm finding them extremely boring. Studying accounting is like watching grass grow.

Marketing is more than just "wishy washy". I consider it to be the more critical departments in a business.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
marketing is certainly very competitive, but if you have decent social skills, and get work experience whilst you're at uni, it's not that hard to enter the industry. You could always get into marketing later in life. For example, you could go graduate Finance for P&G/Unilever, and then transfer into the marketing department.

danielvh

HSC
I'd be VERY interested in a guide of that sort.

I'm doing economics and commerce. Majoring in Economics, International Business Economics, Asian Business and Management. I'm considering adding Marketing to that list of majors (I can do up to 5), but don't really know all that much about it. And I'm also considering doing Finance or Information Management but don't really have the units to spare to try out the intro unit in all of them to see so the more info I can get on marketing the better.

Basically, the material sounds very interesting, the skills sound very relevant to what I could end up going into and so on but everyone says that it's very wishy washy.

Would also love to know what sort of grad and internship opportunities are out there.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I guess the priority is then having a very basic what is marketing guide, and a more in-depth 'what marketing jobs are out there' guide. I finish exams on thursday next week, and will try to complete a guide within a week of that.

At university level, marketing is relatively wishy-washy, as you do learn a bit of theory which is difficult to apply, as it's quite broad. However, that's also the beauty of marketing: you are encouraged to think very broadly.

What are you thinking of doing as a career?

danielvh

HSC
stazi said:
I guess the priority is then having a very basic what is marketing guide, and a more in-depth 'what marketing jobs are out there' guide. I finish exams on thursday next week, and will try to complete a guide within a week of that.

At university level, marketing is relatively wishy-washy, as you do learn a bit of theory which is difficult to apply, as it's quite broad. However, that's also the beauty of marketing: you are encouraged to think very broadly.

What are you thinking of doing as a career?
Lots of different options out there for careers. Currently considering:

- Economics (with a focus on micro rather than macro). So State/Federal treasuries, Productivity commission. I've got work experience lined up at an economics consultancy this summer.
- Management consulting.
- Foreign affairs. (at department of foreign affairs).

My majors basically have those 3 focusses: Economics (majoring in economics and international business economics), management (majoring in management) and international relations/business (majoring in International business economics and asian business. Plus I have 6 months solo backpacking experience and am going to be doing a years study abroad starting second sem next year)

But I'm also interested in marketing and information management and have the leeway to add one of them as a major. Not so interested in finance but not uninterested and it would probably add quite a bit to my degree.

The final (very difficult but possibly attainable) goal is to eventually get into very senior management at a big company.

edit: oh, and I'd be very grateful of a guide like that.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well for those careers paths, marketing won't be very relevant. marketing is basically (in a nutshell) about modifying your product/price/promotions/place mix to increase sales.

Economics will help with marketing, but marketing won't necessarily help with economics.
I can't imagine how marketing will help with foreign affairs.
You could however gain some utility from some basic marketing knowledge for management consulting

danielvh

HSC
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. Marketing would imo fit in very nicely with management and I was assuming that doing economics would help me out in marketing.

But you never know, maybe marketing would become 'my thing' and I'd end up going into that. At the moment all 3 areas of my degree I find very very interesting and I'm good at so I face lots of tough decisions ahead of me :p

:p probably not a good idea to throw another option into the mix...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i don't think that it fits that nicely in with management consulting. as a management consultant it's more likely that you would be improving HR processes and basic operations

danielvh

HSC
So you think it may be better to focus more on human resource management? Because I could add that as a major too if I wanted.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
find out more about management consulting, as im hardly an expert in it. a stats based major would be useful though, as management consulting decisions are apparently heavily data-driven

danielvh

HSC
yeah, I was considering doing quantitative economics as opposed to standard economics (the same except with an additional 2 level3 maths units (econometrics and mathematics for economists... lots of stats).

But still, I'm looking forward to your guide. As I said, those are just the options I'm currently considering. I've still got a looooong way to go. Currently in 1st year of a 4.5yr degree and it's also very possible I'll do honours too.

pete_mate

HSC
man, you're all over the place.

Doing one thing so it complements another, doing economics so you can do consulting when you should be doing somethign else.. all over the shop.

What do you really want to do, as a job, 5 years from now. What can you talk about in a bar (as lame as it is) at 10pm enthusiastically.

I know stas would happily talk about the intricacies of marketing, and i'd happilly talk about markets and stocks.

what do you like? sounds liek economics, but make sure you know what marketing or whatever actually is rather than just going on impressions.

danielvh

HSC
pete_mate said:
man, you're all over the place.

Doing one thing so it complements another, doing economics so you can do consulting when you should be doing somethign else.. all over the shop.

What do you really want to do, as a job, 5 years from now. What can you talk about in a bar (as lame as it is) at 10pm enthusiastically.

I know stas would happily talk about the intricacies of marketing, and i'd happilly talk about markets and stocks.

what do you like? sounds liek economics, but make sure you know what marketing or whatever actually is rather than just going on impressions.
Yeah, that's the problem. I have 3 of those "I can talk enthusiastically about it in a bar" areas (and the sad thing is that I do!!). Those 3 are international relations, economics and management. I wouldn't do marketing just because it complements those, I'd do it because I have a genuine interest in it (which I do) and who knows, maybe that's what I'd end up doing. Plus, keeping my options open is a priority since I'm in 1st year of a 4.5 (possibly 5.5) year degree.

I have actually done a lot of research into management consulting and I know that marketing wouldn't be a great help. I was thinking more to the stage when I hopefully move into the actual management sector that marketing would be of help. Although, then I suppose that actual experience will far outweigh any uni major.

Chris.

HSC
Im doing a Economics degree at unsw, majoring in economics and marketing. I only chose marketing because it was the most interesting major out of all the others. I never even considered the job prospects.
I would never major in accounting no matter how many jobs are available, its too fukn boring.
If i ever got a job in marketing, i would rather be a marketing researcher instead of marketers who make creative commercials and such.

But its not looking good for me, i failed one subject in the first semester and i have no job experience yet.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Chris. said:
Im doing a Economics degree at unsw, majoring in economics and marketing. I only chose marketing because it was the most interesting major out of all the others. I never even considered the job prospects.
I would never major in accounting no matter how many jobs are available, its too fukn boring.
If i ever got a job in marketing, i would rather be a marketing researcher instead of marketers who make creative commercials and such.

But its not looking good for me, i failed one subject in the first semester and i have no job experience yet.
haha i think this is exactly why a guide like this needs to be put out: 'marketers who make creative commercials'. It really highlights the faults of our academic system: we learn the theory but have no idea where we can go from there. It's not that likely that you'll have to make ads: that's the job of creatives in advertising agencies. To go into advertising you would likely need to complete a course in advertising such as the ones offered by the main advertising body in aus.

Chris.

HSC
when will this "guide" be put out lol.

u could ask the mod to sticky it sumwhere

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I thought I'd like marketing, but PR stole my heart

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)