Are my subjects for yr 11 crap? :( (1 Viewer)

joshuarG

HSC
I'm doing:
Legal Studies
Visual Arts
Modern History
Biology
General Maths
1U religion (we're made to, but we can drop it later)

These aren't too bad,
but if you're wanting to get over 90, you'll have to be aiming almost band 6 (or very high band 5's) for at least 2/3 subjects!

I advise anyone who likes year 10 english to do Extension English!!!
People who do advanced usually all grow to hate English, just for the pure fact that it is completely different from anything you do in junior years!

This is my personal opinion, & i know others will disagree, but i think Extension 1 English is 'pure, real' english, & its really enjoyable!!!
you can even consider English Extension 2 when you begin year 12, if you love composing texts (either creative, analytical, imaginative) etc etc, in many forms of media.

Sorry for the information overload, i just know what it's like to find out all this information after it's too late to change anything -_- lol.

joshuarG

HSC
p.s if you're not wanting to do 2u Mathematics, what else is on your maths line?

R

Rorzza

p.s if you're not wanting to do 2u Mathematics, what else is on your maths line?
whatchya mean? I'll do general instead..

And i like what you're saying about english Ext but i doubt i'll get into it. and if i do i'll probs get dropped - is there a bench mark, a certain percent say, that is required to be maintained to do well in ext1?

joshuarG

HSC
Well, for example, i don't particularly like maths, but on my maths line, im doing Society & Culture (which im thankful it ran on this line) & i'm coming 1st in this subject, with over 93% in Prelims. So, what i'm trying to get at is, if you don't particularly like, or want to put in the effort to do Mathematics Advanced, then i'd try & steer clear of general maths; only because the people who want to achieve 90+ don't usually do general maths. In saying that though, it can quite easily be done, it just takes A LOT more work, that's all :)

& in regards to Extension 1 - no, you don't have to keep up to a certain 'standard', although, you wouldn't be doing it if you were getting below say 70 each time. Extension will greatly help you if you do well in it, although it can also hinder you if you do terrible in it.
but i'd advise to do it, as it is a great course, + you can always drop it throughout year 11 anyway :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Hey thanks for this man, and thanks everyone so far, these comments have helped more than you could think.. i now realise that i can achieve well with the subjects i chose - but im gunna have to put a crapload of work in and do the best i can.

The reason for this thread was right when i became comfortable with the subjects i chose, i told someone and they pretty much just laughed..but if you're right, and i have no doubt you are, i can't understand why more people don't do these kinds of subjects than extremely harder ones?..is it because of scaling?

Thanks again everyone :)
Yeha, just ace your subjects to compensate for the dodgy scaling.

Legal Studies - not good
Visual Arts - not good
Modern History - decent
Biology - decent
General Maths - not good
1U religion - not good

so study harder
+1

My thoughts exactly.. i figure it's better to do well in general than mediocre in 2U
:)
That depends how well in general you are talking about and what is mediocre in 2U.... just forget about justifying your choice and just ace general maths!

R

Rorzza

Well, for example, i don't particularly like maths, but on my maths line, im doing Society & Culture (which im thankful it ran on this line) & i'm coming 1st in this subject, with over 93% in Prelims. So, what i'm trying to get at is, if you don't particularly like, or want to put in the effort to do Mathematics Advanced, then i'd try & steer clear of general maths; only because the people who want to achieve 90+ don't usually do general maths. In saying that though, it can quite easily be done, it just takes A LOT more work, that's all :)

& in regards to Extension 1 - no, you don't have to keep up to a certain 'standard', although, you wouldn't be doing it if you were getting below say 70 each time. Extension will greatly help you if you do well in it, although it can also hinder you if you do terrible in it.
but i'd advise to do it, as it is a great course, + you can always drop it throughout year 11 anyway :)
ah k, well honestly i don't know about the subject lines yet because we've only handed in subjects we 'want'...Ie, they haven't been approved or anything yet.
My school offers a pathetic amount of subjects, especially for a (poorish) private school.

All they offer is
Maths
English
Sciences'
Religion
PDH
Mod/Anc & Hist Ext
Buisness
Legal
Ecos
Latin/french/jap
Art
Geo

Such basic choices.. a public school sortof near us has society/culture and psychology1U. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC
I'm doing:
Legal Studies
Visual Arts
Modern History
Biology
General Maths
1U religion (we're made to, but we can drop it later)

AND I want to do extension english but school will probably only let me do advanced at best.

-> Are my subjects poor, please be honest.
-> Will not doing extension eng greatly disadvantage me
-> Does my ATAR stand a chance of being over 90?

PLEASE, this counts for my life! so be honest. thanks.
do 2u maths (you can drop to general in yr12)
- biology is boring, for me. i think physics or chem would be more epic!
:)

joshuarG

HSC
ah k, well honestly i don't know about the subject lines yet because we've only handed in subjects we 'want'...Ie, they haven't been approved or anything yet.
My school offers a pathetic amount of subjects, especially for a (poorish) private school.

All they offer is
Maths
English
Sciences'
Religion
PDH
Buisness
Legal
Ecos
Latin/french/jap
Art
Geo

Such basic choices..
oh that sucks! our school offers so much more, & we're not even a typified 'great school'

In that case, you will probably have nothing on your maths line :/
if that's the case, MAYBE try 2unit Math, but, if you're not comfortable in doing that, do general. i've just seen too many good people go down the gurgler because of general maths.

Economics is good.
Geog is fairly good.
2 unit Religion is fairly good.
all sciences are pretty good (chem & physics especially) bio is still really good!
& yes, definitely choose at least advanced english,
but give EE1 a go.
if teachers say no, you argue the point that you want to do it!
that's what i did :p
& technically, if you're doing advanced english, they cant say no.
they can advise you not to do it, but it is again BOS's regulations if they say no :)

students will always have the over riding power of democracy behind them :p haha.

anything else you REALLY want to know?

R

Rorzza

oh that sucks! our school offers so much more, & we're not even a typified 'great school'

In that case, you will probably have nothing on your maths line :/
if that's the case, MAYBE try 2unit Math, but, if you're not comfortable in doing that, do general. i've just seen too many good people go down the gurgler because of general maths.

Economics is good.
Geog is fairly good.
2 unit Religion is fairly good.
all sciences are pretty good (chem & physics especially) bio is still really good!
& yes, definitely choose at least advanced english,
but give EE1 a go.
if teachers say no, you argue the point that you want to do it!
that's what i did :p
& technically, if you're doing advanced english, they cant say no.
they can advise you not to do it, but it is again BOS's regulations if they say no :)

students will always have the over riding power of democracy behind them :p haha.

anything else you REALLY want to know?
haha is it actually against BOS regulations for them to say no??!! thats so cool!
Not much else, you've helped brilliantly tho. I really think i can manage ext1, i'll go see someone abt it. thanks a million for the help :)

joshuarG

HSC
haha is it actually against BOS regulations for them to say no??!! thats so cool!
Not much else, you've helped brilliantly tho. I really think i can manage ext1, i'll go see someone abt it. thanks a million for the help :)
Well that's what my head teacher said as well!

You obviously have to be doing Advanced English though, other than that, there is no reason they can say no.

Just look into it none the less :D

& No worries at all :)

speedofsound

HSC
mmm i'm noticing not a lot of really encouraging comments in this thread.

bottom line, do not even worry for a second about scaling. only thing you need to worry about is if you're good at the subject.

jiratic

HSC
all your subjects are low scaling.
that being said: it doesn't matter UNLESS you're aiming for 99+, or arguably 97+, you just need to get good marks.
90 is quite doable with those subjects!.

speedofsound

HSC
that being said: it doesn't matter UNLESS you're aiming for 99+, or arguably 97+, you just need to get good marks.
lol @ the "UNLESS". anyone can get 99+.

R

Rorzza

good marks as in first in every subject for 90+ATAR or is top 10 good enough? :S

technicolour

HSC
Please ignore the people that talk about scaling. If you do subjects based purely on the scaling system, you'll most likely end up hating them and doing bad anyway. 90+ is more than achievable in every combination of subject, you just need to work hard.

If you have interest in your subjects, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. The ones you've picked look great, and there's a lot of variety. THere's no such thing as a crap subject. :)

Crazed nut

HSC
I didn't know that there was a 1 unit Psychology course in the HSC curriculum. OP are you sure?

absorber

HSC
How well your subjects will suit you will be based on your interests and capabilities. If you find maths relatively easy I advise trying 2 unit first and then dropping if it's too difficult, but there's nothing WRONG with those subjs

R

Rorzza

Correct me if i'm wrong, but everyone who has posted in this thread so far is doing some sort of an extension course..(inc 2U maths) it worries me that i won't be..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)