anyone serious about a music career? (1 Viewer)

bitchymcbitch

Uni Bum
HSC
well.. the end of school.. the new unknown open world.. do you want to make it as a musician? do you think you have the ability?

share concert, audition experiences here guys?

Abraxus

HSC
I seriously don't see myself doing anything else other than music, I have all these friends that're doing economic/business related courses and I'm the outcast doing music, haha.

My conservatorium audition is next month and I'm not really prepared for it. I signed up to do the Major audition but it was a few days after I lodged my application that I realised that one of my pieces included two other movements that I had no idea about - and the requirement is to play the entire thing. I don't think I have a chance in Major study but I'm going for it anyway - at least I'm confident with my Minor ;)

I've been performing on the piano for the school since I was in year 7, last year I sang for the first time and I'm doing something on the guitar later this year for our year 12 concert. I went through a few auditions to perform for the community, none that I've passed - so I have no idea whats gonna happen with my conservatorium audition. If I don't get into music in uni then I'm screwed, hehehe.

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
yeh, i feel the same way. i could never see myself sitting in an office infront of a computer 9-5. Im auditioning for Sydney Con for BMus (Perf) and Music Studies on trumpet. :uhhuh: i also auditioned for Newcastle con but i don't like it there :p

Hey Abraxus what conservatorium are you talking about?

MouNtY

i'd always thought abt becoming a srs musician after school....i've been singing since i was three but, i've never actually been trained....but i know that i have a talent but i just don't have the theory to back it up......but i reckon i could do pretty much anything vocally, i know most concepts and i'm sure i could even do things that i don't know the name of.....i know it sounds like i have a way over-inflated ego, but i reckon i could do it.....but then theres no real security as a vocalist in the music industry......so yeah i didn't apply to do any music courses in uni next year

Abraxus

HSC
timyates_87 said:
Hey Abraxus what conservatorium are you talking about?
Lol, sorry mate, I'm talking about Sydney. It's closest and I'm not willing to travel to Wollongong. I'm also trying out for BMus but in piano ... if not then I'm doing BMus Studies cause thats in Minor Level. My other preferences are in UNSW and my last last one is UWS, and hopefully I don't have to go there.

I have other preferences in visual arts courses, which don't get me wrong I love art, but my heart lies with music. The conservatorium requirements are do demanding, I'm afraid I won't get in.

django_

HSC
i want to become an audio engineer :D
i applied for UWS bachelor of music...but i dunno how im gonna go in the theory exam...since i only do music1 i know nothin about cadences, triads etc etc.

if i dont get in...ill go to Tafe instead. my aunties best friend works for EMI as well so she said she could get me a job there. sweeet :D

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
django_ said:
i want to become an audio engineer :D
i applied for UWS bachelor of music...but i dunno how im gonna go in the theory exam...since i only do music1 i know nothin about cadences, triads etc etc.

if i dont get in...ill go to Tafe instead. my aunties best friend works for EMI as well so she said she could get me a job there. sweeet :D
hey are you Chris?

chepas

HSC
Ahhh UWS BMus.... Do you know what is the closing date to make the appointments online? As it doesn't say anything, except about vacancies on the days...?

I'd ideally like to do secondary music teaching for a music, but hopefully it can be done with just music(ology) major in a BA somewhere. I think we've covered that before...

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
i've put secondary music teaching for music as my last preference. although i'd love to do music everyday forever, i don't know if there are any jobs :( and i'm not good enough to make it in the professional world!

Lexi

HSC
N/A
I aspire to be a music teacher, so I am applying anywhere I possibly can. Lol. I admire my piano teacher and everything she does (Love you Franciene!) and hopefully I can impact on some kids life as much as she has impacted on mine.

bitchymcbitch

Uni Bum
HSC
i also dont doubt i have talent.. vocally.. i just dont think im good enough to pursue a career as a musician.. i mlove music.. it is my heart and soul..it is my passion... < ohhh dramatic much?? anyway.. its what i love.. but its such a hard industry to get into.. and i also dont have the theory behind me.. yeah i can sight read pretty well and what not but nothing fancy.. i mean look at Australian Idol.. those people have talent.. those people can sell records.. i doubt i have the right image and the right style to be able to sell..
granted now they HSC is over.. i can fully use my voice for 'rock' music like Ella Hooper or Amy Lee for example.. which is what i want to do..

no courses at uni suited me musically.. i applied for a combined BA Music/Arts at UOW and UC but i doubt ill get in.. i dont want to teach.. i just want to perform..

so in order to do that.. i got a gig for a charity event with stareatthesun that is gaining major media exposure.. so that should be good and open doors for other later on..

i want to make it 'big' i just dont think i have enough talent..

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
i am going to become a professional trumpet player i dont care what anyone else says they all tell me that its way to hard to get a job its probably true but i dont care i know im not a very good trumpet player... actually, i totally suck but i love playing it (although i sometimes hate it cos i cant play it properly) but its the only thing that i can do really ive had too many lectures on music wont put food on the table blah blah blah etc etc etc and that there are only 8 trumpet jobs in sydney and therye all taken and there are too many other bloody good trumpet players wanting to get a spot and blah blah blah but thats not gona stop me! Trumpet is my life! I am going to play trumpet until the day i die and when i die my trumpet has to be buried with me and all my trumpet player mates are gona play the trumpet fanfare from the Verdi Requiem at my funeral

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
go for it guys!
everyone has talent, otherwise you wouldn't have chosen a career in music...

and if all else fails trumpet geek, you can always busk in the streets for money :D
oooh actually, you can become one of those trumpet players for cruise ship brass bands!
wow! that'd be so good!
i want to take a year off and getting a band together and get a job on a cruise ship!
hehee

geeb

HSC
ooooooo cruise ship, im with ya crikket!!!

if u wanna busk at all go to The Valley in brisbane, you can make a really good living just by playing what you want on the streets!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
geeb said:
ooooooo cruise ship, im with ya crikket!!!

if u wanna busk at all go to The Valley in brisbane, you can make a really good living just by playing what you want on the streets!

:O does that mean no one will stop me in the middle of my cowbell solo?
cool!

Abraxus

HSC
Yeah, I know what you mean when you say that you wanna make it into this business but you don't think you have enough talent - cause I feel the exact same way.

I've heard lectures about what a substandard career music is, but seriously when you think about it, it's hardly any different to any other. Just like being a lawyer or doctor, you need to be passionate about it, you need the required knowledge, you need to demonstrate skills that've been worked on over a period of time, you need to be good at it, and maintaining a successful career earns a lot of finance. I'm getting sick of people telling me what a waste of time music is, I mentioned earlier that all of my friends put economic/business preferences - one of them is a guitarist but sounds like he's too ashamed of doing music as a career.

I don't think I have what it takes to make it in Major level study at the Conservatorium, but I still applied for it even though I have no chance - there's one of the required pieces that is too late to start learning now, and two of my pieces are incomplete. But I have a chance in Minor study, so I'm pretty much hoping for the best. I have backups at least ;)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Abraxus said:
I seriously don't see myself doing anything else other than music, I have all these friends that're doing economic/business related courses and I'm the outcast doing music, haha.

My conservatorium audition is next month and I'm not really prepared for it.
Hey.... when did you get that notification??? Mine hasn't arrived yet :( But then again, I'm doing composition... is that a factor???

Yeah I couldn't see myself doing anything else but composing for orchestra/whatever. I just keep getting inspired by Hans Zimmer...

Abraxus

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Hey.... when did you get that notification??? Mine hasn't arrived yet :( But then again, I'm doing composition... is that a factor???
Nah, they didn't actually send me the notification yet, when I handed in the application they told me that the audition is in November, so that's all I know. Hopefully it's after my HSC.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Abraxus said:
Nah, they didn't actually send me the notification yet, when I handed in the application they told me that the audition is in November, so that's all I know. Hopefully it's after my HSC.
Cool. You gave me a heart attack!

Should be after the hsc. Late Nov-Early Dec.... Wrecks some peoples schoolies dates though lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)