anyone gotten band 5 or 6 in standard english (1 Viewer)

deejayy

HSC
hey, just wana know if anyone has managed to get a band 5 or 6 in standard english :hat:

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
I know this is digging up an old thread but this is for the archives later.

I'm sure people have, it's just that most people that are capable of getting band 5/6 would do advance english

hassan21291

HSC
i did =) ..... the only reason i ddint do advanced is because .... the head teacher didnt let me ... oh well .... she is red in the face now =)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
yes, someone on this forum came 2nd in state for standard english - Band 6 - 94

Its hard, but possible.
I'm aiming for Band 6.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
There's a person on here who came first in the state in English Std last year (2008). They got 96 HSC mark.

I got a band 5 (87) with absolute minimal effort. But i wish i wish i did Advanced English. The Advanced teacher thought that i could have got 90+ in advanced. A kid who was always about par with me got 93HSC mark in advanced.

Do advanced, DO IT!

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
it's too late :( stoopid head teacher won't let me do it
oh god, all my subjects are badly scaled

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
it's too late :( stoopid head teacher won't let me do it
oh god, all my subjects are badly scaled
Economics, Ancient History scale pretty good afaik. Besides, since you do MX2 (and i know that you will do well :) ), a mid band 5 in English Std would hold you in very good sted. You can achieve >99 ATAR with one.

Enchantress91

HSC
I got 86 (HSC mark) for Standard English. It's not that hard people! Just know your techniques and effects for all your texts really well. I chose Standard because Advanced English doesn't scale up, and I'm not the biggest fan of Shakespeare.

Band 5 in Standard English is totally achieveable! All you need to do is ANALYSE critically, don't go into story-telling mode because markers don't even care about the plot. Select your related material wisely for your Area of study and your modules A and C.

Get yourself a tutor to check your all essays and creative pieces (for paper 1, section 2) and you'll do just fine. :)

Lydia_88

HSC
I was 5 marks off getting a band 5 in standard (i really wanted this mark).....but that was 4 years ago.

Now i'm at uni, and essays are a lot different in terms of structure (plus referencing and critical synthesis)... marks aren't easy here, but it is do-able (my highest for an essay was Distinction (80)...)

like the poster up above me, follow the structure of an essay and add your own point of view (evaluation) at the end (that will help you achieve that mark)....

Last edited:

MoodMuzik

HSC
i am aiming for a band 5 in english standard i have done well like in exams achieving 70% but i want to acheive to get a band 5 in standard english. Juat a quick questions would you get accepted to uni if you do standard english apparently my standard teacher said that if you do std eng you won't get accepted to uni, but most likely he said that because me and this girl in my class are the only ones passing and putting solid effort in class.

enoilgam

HSC
i am aiming for a band 5 in english standard i have done well like in exams achieving 70% but i want to acheive to get a band 5 in standard english. Juat a quick questions would you get accepted to uni if you do standard english apparently my standard teacher said that if you do std eng you won't get accepted to uni, but most likely he said that because me and this girl in my class are the only ones passing and putting solid effort in class.
I dont know what your teacher is talking about. Very few, uni courses, if any have advanced english as a pre-requisite.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I dont know what your teacher is talking about. Very few, uni courses, if any have advanced english as a pre-requisite.

This.

I have looked through heaps of courses and I have never seen any pre-requiste for advance English.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes i've gotten about 80's on average . 1st and 2nd most of the time :) in my internal. Just gotta study well :)

HSC
Uni Grad
My English teacher who is also my tutor/home room teacher, he said, and I quote, "It's impossible to get a band 6 in Standard English." I laughed because it's quite possible to get a band 6. A guy said while he was writing up a C-grade essay about Raw (Scott Monk) & The Shawshank Redemption, "So, you are expecting us to only achieve a C-grade or Band 4 for the HSC?"

I saw it's POSSIBLE!

katefication

HSC
My English teacher who is also my tutor/home room teacher, he said, and I quote, "It's impossible to get a band 6 in Standard English." I laughed because it's quite possible to get a band 6. A guy said while he was writing up a C-grade essay about Raw (Scott Monk) & The Shawshank Redemption, "So, you are expecting us to only achieve a C-grade or Band 4 for the HSC?"

I saw it's POSSIBLE!
My English teacher said this to me too! And that he expects a band 5 of me. Well, I'll just have to get a band 6 and prove him wrong.

katefication

HSC
Same. My aim originally was band 6, but after finding how hard it would be because of alligning, I am aiming for a mid band 5.
Why not aim for band 6? At least if you fall short, you may get a mid band 5. Fall short of mid band 5 - you may get band 4.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
lol I wrote in this thread a year ago on Page 1 "I'm aiming for Band 6"
I ended up getting state rank.

so guys, it is definitely possible! Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)