Antivirus software (1 Viewer)

Gloamglozer

HSC
Right now, I use:

1. avast!
2. Zonealarm Pro Firewall (I know it's not an anti-virus software but might as well mention it).

I used to use Norton but that slowed my computer down way too much so I opted for avast!

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
actually i use avast and windows defender, i forgot about windows defender, i usually forget it is even there which is a good thing

Kalashnikov47

HSC
superelizabeth said:
Hey just wondering which is the most effective antivirus software in your opinion? Kaspersky? Norton? Mcafee? Panda? Bitdefender?
the best you can buy (by my opinion) is Kaspersky internet security... it is developed (as its name suggest) by russians... i've had the kaspersky for 2 years now and my computer never have any virus problem since then...

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Sophos has to be the best that i've used.

I have used:

- Kaspersky
- AVG
- Norton
- ZoneAlarm

...and they are all terrible compared to Sophos.

Added bonus is that it's free through the uni.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
J.a.d.e :-) said:
I don't use it...but McAfee's good..
Not really. Used to have it, until I got hit with a virus that it didn't detect.

Now I'm using ESET, which is NOD32.

rlmck

HSC
AsyLum said:
I hear Macs cure cancer too, fucking idiot.
Well i hope that is true , considering i had cancer. Next time you post such a comment think twice,sarcasm is witty. but that was too far man. this is a public website:(l macs are only average computers.
AVG is the best antivirus software in my opinion.

Last edited:

jirwin

HSC
I started off using Norton Anti Virus, switched to AVG when Mum came home saying 'use this its free'. I hated it. Essentially went without any virus protection for a while (had dial up, crap computer - took the risk). My first laptop came with McAfee which lasted like 2yrs and I thought it was awesome. Parents wouldn't pay for renewal of it so instead got Norton Internet Security which I thought was just as good as McAfee - Sticking with it again this year. I find it quite cheap actually - the one I got yesterday works out $55 for 3 user.

Also I don't find the slowing down of my computer when Norton is scanning to be a problem - mines scheduled for once a week. I'm rarely doing stuff that requires fast speeds and if I am I just cancel the scan and do it when I'm not. I find it easy to work around and stuff so don't find it a problem at all.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro has both anti-virus and firewall. Used it for 4-5 years now haven't had a problem. :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You get what you pay for really. I have really tested almost every single anti-virus and security program there is out there.... they all do a pretty similar job, even the freeware programs.

But, in my personal opinion my favourite 2 over anything based on performance and reliability would be:

Norton Anti-Virus Security 2009
McAfee Security Suite

unwanted80

HSC
N/A
im using Zone Alaram at the moment.. its really gud, i use msn alot so whenever a contact signs it you can see if there protected or not (obviously you can turn this feature of- so it doesnt get annoying.) lol, ye its pretty gud, i like it, :D

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
You get what you pay for really. I have really tested almost every single anti-virus and security program there is out there.... they all do a pretty similar job, even the freeware programs.

But, in my personal opinion my favourite 2 over anything based on performance and reliability would be:

Norton Anti-Virus Security 2009
McAfee Security Suite
Ew.
Norton = overrated piece of crap. Such a resource hog.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
How about the other option. Own a Mac.
Do you realise if everyone took that option, virus writers would start making them for Mac? The only reason they don't get virus' currently is because more people have non-macs? :burn:

AVG free is awesome and you can pay for it if you want the extra's but AVG free is awesome, it checks search results and tells you if webpages have infections and I haven't has any issues with it!

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Do you realise if everyone took that option, virus writers would start making them for Mac? The only reason they don't get virus' currently is because more people have non-macs? :burn:

AVG free is awesome and you can pay for it if you want the extra's but AVG free is awesome, it checks search results and tells you if webpages have infections and I haven't has any issues with it!
I found AVG to be a bit cumbersome. That search checking feature is available in lots of different protection software.

I like avast, faster than AVG and has more features.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
currently use Norton Anti-Virus Security 2009, got no troubles with it so far, and it has a slick interface
AVG free is also another option but its quite limited
used ZoneAlarm before as well, its kinda okay but it looks ugly...

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
AVG is pretty good, just gotta tell it not to be hypersensitive when signing into MSN, but its good like that, tells theres a proposed threat, what it is and where its located ina small popup similar to a MSN user logging in at the bottom right.

The packaged purchase ones are really hungry for resources, ive only seen the, useful in company servers. Christ my local interenet cafe uses AVG lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)