All student's email - parking (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

[FONT=&quot]This came via email to all students, although since this is a rare important email, I'll post it up for discussion (bolded interesting bits):[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This message was sent by Tony Johansson and authorised by Chief Financial Officer. John Gorman.

Car Parking on Campus - we need your ideas

To all staff and all students

In this email I’d like to provide you with some background

information about car parking at Macquarie, explain some of the car

parking-related decisions made by the University administration and seek

your ideas regarding our management of car parking at Macquarie in the

future.

When discussing car parking, it’s first necessary to put the issue

into its wider context.

Current situation

Macquarie has 32,000 students, 4,000 staff and commercial tenants with

hundreds of employees, but only 5,341 car parking spaces.
This total

figure also includes parking restricted to authorised visitors, to those

with disabilities, and 30-minute limit, and service vehicle parking.

Given that the majority of our staff, students and tenants would prefer

to drive to the campus, there will never be enough car spaces to

accommodate everyone.

To our knowledge, this is also true at every other metropolitan

university in Australia - none provides a car space for every individual

who would like one. At universities in the Sydney CBD, it is not unusual

for more than 90% of staff and students (compared to less than 20% at

Macquarie)
to use public transport, simply because there is no other

viable option.

Because of the scarcity of car parking, most NSW universities only

offer parking permits to their staff and postgraduate students - not to

their undergraduate students.
A significant benefit of the Macquarie

University campus is the opportunity to offer undergraduate students

parking that is only a short walk from their lecture theatres and

library.

We allow permits to be bought by all students and staff, as well as our

commercial tenants - and this year we will sell around 12,000 permits -

so that our parking space usage is optimised. However that does mean

that when the campus is particularly busy, some permit holders will not

be able to find a parking space.

As Macquarie traditionally has not been as well serviced by public

transport as the CBD-based universities, we have naturally been very

heavily reliant on car travel, but this situation has improved in recent

times with the opening of the train station on campus, new and more

frequent bus services and better access via bike paths.

Government restrictions

The NSW Department of Planning now requires the University to work

towards having 40% of our staff, students and tenants using

public/active transport options, such as buses, trains and bikes
. Our

provision of car parking must reflect this target. This means that we

cannot build more car parks, even if we wanted to, and would not be

getting building approvals to do so.

This 40% goal is both a greenhouse gas emission/environmental target as

well as an infrastructure target - the Government obviously has a

responsibility to ensure that traffic is minimised on local roads where

possible, and anyone who drives to the University will be aware of the

congestion throughout the Macquarie Park region.

Our modelling tells us that to achieve this 40% target we will actually

have to reduce our total number of car parking spaces from its current

level of 5,341 spaces to 4,800 spaces overall - a loss of 541 spaces by

they year 2032. We will be as considerate to everyone as we can be in

how we do that - and we are planning to maintain current levels of

parking in the short term
(even when new construction dictates that we

have to move car parks to allow for building work) rather than reduce

them - but we will still have to achieve that target eventually.

Macquarie is also committed to becoming more sustainable. Car travel to

and from the campus is a major contributor to our greenhouse gas

emissions. So even if the Government did not mandate that we move to

more sustainable transport use, we would want to do it anyway.

We need your ideas

We are keen to hear from anyone in the Macquarie community who has a

practical suggestion about how the parking situation on campus could be

improved. Here are some ideas to get you started. Perhaps we could:

1) provide more incentives for public transport use. A scheme is about

to be launched allowing continuing staff to pay off, after tax,

Macquarie-purchased annual or six-monthly rail and bus passes, but

perhaps we could explore the possibility of Macquarie subsidies for

students who use public transport

2) provide incentives for car pooling, such as reduced parking fees for

three or more passengers, or contribution for fuel costs

3) provide more facilities for alternative means of transport such as

change rooms, lockers and secure bicycle store rooms, like the new bike

shed being built near the current library

4) reduce demand by making parking permits even more of a premium item

(eg parking spaces for commercial tenants are currently priced up to

$2,000 annually, and staff have been able this year for the first time

to buy a guaranteed parking place for $700 p.a.)

5) change our hours of business by perhaps teaching/working on

Saturdays or by spreading out classes from early in the morning to late

at night to minimise ‘peak hours’

6) introduce a ‘congestion charge’ similar to that introduced

recently on the Sydney Harbour Bridge, to dissuade people from driving

at peak times

7) provide a central notice board/website for staff and students to

find and provide car pooling

I encourage you to provide your thoughts on these options - or any

others - by going to the website

http://www.mq.edu.au/momentum/feedback.php and choosing ‘car

parking’ from the drop-down menu in the form.

As we’re currently in a non-teaching period, I’ll send a reminder

email in a couple of weeks’ time when all staff and students return to

the campus so that as many people as possible are aware of the issue,

and have an opportunity to contribute their ideas.[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xeuyrawp

Cheaper train tickets is a very good idea. UNSW got the throw down a few years ago when it asked for a train-line, and our bus service is getting extremely crowded for the 9am rush.
Definitely a good idea, once the train line is integrated.

Jennt

HSC
N/A
The email we all got just made me "steam" a little, actually it made me "steam" a lot. I'm an undergrad external student who lives in a suburb of Sydney that, although not far from Macquarie, has NO PUBLIC TRANSPORT that would easily get me there (the poorly serviced hills district). I am an external student because I also work full-time. Yes, I bought a yearly parking sticker at the beginning of the year - but I am only on-campus maybe 5 weekdays/year and about 5 weekends. So when the rest of you are fighting for spaces I am "considerately" not there.

My only option for public transport would be a very unreliable and intermitent bus to the nearest train station; then a train to Epping; then another train to Macquarie ie: 3 different stages and probably over 1.5 hrs travelling time compared to 20mins driving time.

I just can't imagine having to "try" and use this woeful public transport system to get myself to an exam on time! Our government (the ones asking the University to get rid of parking spaces) is ........ oh, I can't use that language here can I???

And, as for the uni asking us, the paying customers, to come up with our own solution to the problem - don't even let me get started on that one. I was highly insulted by this email landing in my in-box today. This is a university - they need to get "something" and tell the govt transport dept (?) where to jump. If they have x number of students (paying fees) then they need to work out how to cater and provide service to them as required.

OK - I should just disappear back into my study now...

regards

russs

yeeeee
HSC
I live in Quakers Hill.

Train Time: 1.5 Hours - 2 Hours. I am one of the lucky ones that has a train station nearby.
Driving (m2): ~ 15 Minutes
Driving (non-m2): ~ 40 Minutes

I did the train thing last year and switched to driving. Forget public transport if you live in Hills.

X

xeuyrawp

Hmm yeah public transport is useless for me, too. There's a ~40 min walk from my house to Lindfield station. I can catch the 545, but it won't get me to class before 9:10, which is really late for things like languages classes at 9. I can catch the 565, but I need to walk through a national park fire trail, which is annoying even in the day... So yeah, basically if I want to get to class on time, realistically I have to drive. *shrug* Then there's the fact that I usually have night classes from 6-9pm as well, and the 545 stops at like ~6pm. Walking up a park trail at night = pwned.

Last edited by a moderator:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
would it be plausible to have a train line for all universities that are not within walking distance from central? (ie. macquarie and unsw)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
This is a load of crock.

It's not a fault of ours that the place is so poorly serviced by reliable public transport, thereby making car-travel more appealing. It takes me 20-30 minutes to drive to university, I live about 25kms away in a major city (Parramatta) and my only options to get to uni are to take a bus which:
a) is not reliable
b) takes over an hour during peak times
c) is always filled from MQ > Eastwood (and vice versa) which makes travel during peak hours simply stupid and those who need to travel the length of the journey are left stranded waiting for an hour while 4 buses are filled by people who could catch ANY OTHER bus that heads towards Eastwood.

The alternative is to catch a train, which unfortunately for me, was also sabotaged by the State government who, in their awesome thoughts, took out the link between MQ and Parramatta, which if implemented, would've serviced the west, and given a TRUE alternative. Instead, I would have to catch a train to Strathfield, change trains and then catch one to Eastwood, or Epping, then catch a bus in or switch for the MQ train station. Again, this takes in excess of an hour at peak hours, and also suffers from having to do 2-3 transfers.

If MQ goes down this path, I will spit chips and you better believe that they'll see just how 'apathetic' the student body is.

Peartie

HSC
This year i started off TRYING to use busses and trains, frankly because I thought the 190 was too much - even though it is still extraordinarily cheap in comparison to USYD and UNSW. But because of lovely Shorelink the bus service (which is once an hour @ my place) was late, up to 40 minutes late, or just never came, 6 times in about 4 weeks - meaning I was late to Uni....so i just thought until there is a RELIABLE, DECENT bus service I cant bother to do the public transpoirt thing, especially when it comes to exams - I would never trust City Rail on an exam day, NEVER....

So basically until Sydney gets decent, and AFFORDABLE (why do prices on city rail keep going up as the service gets shitter?) Public Transport, to EVERY SUBURB within Sydney, be it busses, trains, metros, monorails, trams, moving walkways under the ground I dont care what, asking people at Mac to take public transport is just impractical.... thats my 2c anyway....

Monstar

HSC
Only reason why i'm catching the train this year cause its free from epping to macquarie - saving me on the price of a parking permit. Perhaps this is indicative of what the uni should look into if it wants to minimise the use of cars..

EDIT:

1) Maybe we need a price specific parking permit system- that is the people who live closer to the uni will have to pay more for a parking permit, so much more that it'd be lunacy for them not to pay for public transport, pratically cornering them into public transport.. whereas people who live further away from the uni or have public transport out of reach can have a cheaper parking permit.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

So let's go through their possible suggestions:

1) provide more incentives for public transport use. A scheme is about

to be launched allowing continuing staff to pay off, after tax,

Macquarie-purchased annual or six-monthly rail and bus passes, but

perhaps we could explore the possibility of Macquarie subsidies for

students who use public transport
Sounds good, but most of the problems revolve around that public transport is really inconvenient (if not impossible), and that some people wouldn't even use if it were free. Eg myself: I'm not catching a free ride to get to class late in the morning, or to walk through a national park and break my leg at night.

And they're not even talking about free.

2) provide incentives for car pooling, such as reduced parking fees for

three or more passengers, or contribution for fuel costs
Car pooling is an obvious idea, such a shame that the university will never implement it properly because it's incompetent. With regards to the reduced parking fees - no idea how they'd police it, although, again, they seem to think the main problem is money. Students whinge about the price of the stickers, but I'd honestly pay a lot more if it was necessary for me to get to and back from uni on time.

3) provide more facilities for alternative means of transport such as

change rooms, lockers and secure bicycle store rooms, like the new bike

shed being built near the current library
:rolleyes: Yeah because:
a) I'm sure we can somehow completely change the Australian culture and start making people bike - something that has continually failed,
b) the roads around and in the university are so bike friendly,
c) it's not like students have to carry around shit.

4) reduce demand by making parking permits even more of a premium item

(eg parking spaces for commercial tenants are currently priced up to

$2,000 annually, and staff have been able this year for the first time

to buy a guaranteed parking place for $700 p.a.)
Hahahh that's my favourite. 'reduce demand'. Lolfaileconomics.

5) change our hours of business by perhaps teaching/working on

Saturdays or by spreading out classes from early in the morning to late

at night to minimise ?peak hours?
Great idea! Chance the hours to a time when there is even less fucking public transport available!

6) introduce a ?congestion charge? similar to that introduced

recently on the Sydney Harbour Bridge, to dissuade people from driving

at peak times
'Excuse me, Rob, I know you have class at 10am, however I'm going to have to charge you a congestion charge for coming to class, rather than later in the day or at 6am.'???

7) provide a central notice board/website for staff and students to

find and provide car pooling
Sounds great, it would just need to be implemented properly.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Only reason why i'm catching the train this year cause its free from epping to macquarie - saving me on the price of a parking permit. Perhaps this is indicative of what the uni should look into if it wants to minimise the use of cars..

EDIT:

1) Maybe we need a price specific parking permit system- that is the people who live closer to the uni will have to pay more for a parking permit, so much more that it'd be lunacy for them not to pay for public transport, pratically cornering them into public transport.. whereas people who live further away from the uni or have public transport out of reach can have a cheaper parking permit.
That's actually not a bad idea, although I am not too sure on how it could be implemented effectively.

People who drive to uni from Epping just dont make much sense to me. It's because of people like that, the people who live in stranded places like Castle Hill etc have to suffer with the lack of parking spots.

X

xeuyrawp

That seems good on face value, but take me as a case study. I live like 10 minutes drive away in no traffic, however there is literally no other reasonable alternative to driving.

Accessibility to uni has nothing to do with closeness to it, it has everything to do with how well one's area is serviced by public transport. The Parramatta people will testify that they'd take transport if it were only organised properly - the 565 is a great example of something which just needs to be examined and managed properly.

Anyway, I highly doubt anything positive will happen unless the uni starts having a major dialogue with the state government.

Kiim2507

HSC
Yeah same with me.
I live 10-15 minutes away in no traffic but the public transport is pathetic.
I'd have to walk to the station, catch a train to chatswood, change trains and then walk to Uni (I have no idea how long this would take me cos I haven't done it yet but I'd imagine an hour +)
Or ofcourse use the ever unreliable bus service that 'sometimes' comes when they feel like it.

Poad

HSC
The email we all got just made me "steam" a little, actually it made me "steam" a lot. I'm an undergrad external student who lives in a suburb of Sydney that, although not far from Macquarie, has NO PUBLIC TRANSPORT that would easily get me there (the poorly serviced hills district).
I live in the hills district too, and it take me 30mins max to get to Macquarie. Then again, that area is pretty broad so there might be worser options where you are.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The 'premium' option only hurts students not those who can afford it, ie VCs and whatnot. I don't see your standard student paying in excess of 200 dollars for an opportunity to maybe, perhaps get a parking spot.

It's bad enough that congestion has been concentrated upon the W parking areas because of the work on the robot library (cos we needed one of those?!) and so no one wants to park in awkward areas without being forced into it.

The university will only turn away even more students if it chooses to go down this route, and the reason that other universities don't provide parking is because there are trains every 15 minutes and stations which are within walking distance of the uni. USYD and UTS are prime examples of this, UNSW still a bit further still has buses which are regular enough to transport people from the uni to Central. Epping/Eastwood stations ARE NOT Central.

With so little separating the unis at the moment, not being able to get to Macquarie on time for classes because that bus didn't turn up, or was late, or that train only comes at inconvenient times, is not the sparkling endorsement you want to send potential students. It already occurs during the Open Days, I mean kids are more likely to turn up to UTS/USYD/UNSW than they are to venture to MQ, why? Because it's so inconvenient.

Grr.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Its very annoying that they suggest a congestion charge when 9am lectures are so common (I have two this semester) and I should be punished for going to my class rather than ilecturing it because I find it doesnt work for me? I also need to go to the 9am lectures so I can get a spot so that I can attend my compulsary 11am tutes.

Even for me, in an area served well by public transport (Strathfield) its still really inconvienient. The 459 only runs at certain times and takes an hr most of the time at peak, the other bus that runs when the 459 doesnt run (the 458) only goes as far as top ryde and then you need to change buses, these dont run late enough for my late 6-8 class this semester. The train situation is quicker but annoying as you have to go all the way to epping and currently change trains (will not need to do so when its a loop service) and apparenty they are going to charge about as much as it costs for me to get to the city just for the epping to mq uni part.

Until the MQ area and surrounding areas are better served this wont work, esp when a lot of students come from th hills district etc because they are not well serviced by public transport and if they were they would be able to go to the city unis

xJaix

HSC
Well, that email has got me steaming.

I travel from Fairfield all the way to Mac Uni Station. It is the MOST STRESSFUL trip i've ever had to do!

I have to catch 3 trains and for each stinking train i have to bolt out the doors to catch it otherwise risk a 15-20 minute wait. 15 minutes for the next one from Epping to Mac Uni, 20 mins from Epping to Strathfield (I hate those waits the most) and then a potential 15-20 minute wait for the next train at Strathfield to Fairfield.

At Strathfield the train to fairfield arrives almost at the exact time as the one from Epping, so i can see it and it's coming but i've missed it because the train opposite me has arrived and there is a massive influx of people getting off both trains. It's impossible, then running up the ramp to get on the Fairfield train there are people coming down! It gets very exhausting after having to do it day after day and spend so much time waiting. Sure, it takes 45 minutes TRAVELLING on the train to get there but add the 55 minutes of standing around and you get the picture.

I'm soon going to have a car in hope that i can travel the stinking 19 or so KM to Mac uni, which realistically speaking isn't all that far, so why does it take that long? Crappy timetable planning that doesn't allow for change over.

I don't know what the Government is thinking but they can't fit 4 million people within 5 KM of the CBD, i'm sorry but in Sydney, it's just not happening any time soon and they have to wake up to that fact already.

The thing that gets to me the most is that on advertisements it suggests commuters purchase a weekly travel pass to save TIME and money. How about re-doing the timetable ? What it would take me 1 minute a day to buy a ticket ( 5 minutes or so a week) as opposed to standing around 55 minutes TO and FROM uni = 2 hours a day. Grr

People who are in the position of living close to Uni are in a better position than some and yet are still poorly serviced. Pfft, the Government has some explaining to do as to how it expects to cut green house emissions and what not and expect us to get to and from Uni? Not obliged to offer us a service, are they? Well, I'd like to see their limousines that sit and wait around for them all day get taken from them. These so called leaders are getting more and more out of touch with people by the minute. Not sure what UTOPIA they are living in but it's definitely not mine. I understand life isn't fair but this is getting riddiculous. They offer a poor and unreliable service and then expect us to cut down on car travel? Logic seems to have failed some.

Travel public transport if you want to be stressed and moody every single day like me, yay :(

Last edited:

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Its very annoying that they suggest a congestion charge when 9am lectures are so common (I have two this semester) and I should be punished for going to my class rather than ilecturing it because I find it doesnt work for me? I also need to go to the 9am lectures so I can get a spot so that I can attend my compulsary 11am tutes.

Even for me, in an area served well by public transport (Strathfield) its still really inconvienient. The 459 only runs at certain times and takes an hr most of the time at peak, the other bus that runs when the 459 doesnt run (the 458) only goes as far as top ryde and then you need to change buses, these dont run late enough for my late 6-8 class this semester. The train situation is quicker but annoying as you have to go all the way to epping and currently change trains (will not need to do so when its a loop service) and apparenty they are going to charge about as much as it costs for me to get to the city just for the epping to mq uni part.

Until the MQ area and surrounding areas are better served this wont work, esp when a lot of students come from th hills district etc because they are not well serviced by public transport and if they were they would be able to go to the city unis
i think thats just if your travelling from epping to macquarie uni

if you're going from strathfield to macquarie uni, the fare wont be more than an extra 20 cents or something than just going to epping.

8:28 train on Newcaste line from strathfield to epping ---> 11 minutes (arrives 8:39)

8:46 train from epping departs for macquarie uni -------> 4 minuts (arrives 8:50)

total travel time from station to station is 22 minutes. pretty sweet i say :)

and thats why i dont drive

and u make it to just about anywhere on campus before the lecture starts at 9:05 (or 10:05, 1:05, etc..)

weekly ticket currently costs 15 buks (sweet, because i go in all 5 days)
once fare-free period, i think (not sure) it goes up to $16

Peartie

HSC
the trains coming down the north shore line (hornsby to city) arrive at chatswood either as the MQ train is leaving or a couple of minutes late, meaning that no matter what you have to wait at Chatswood - the shortest wait ive had there was 12 minutes and the longest was 27 minutes (they cancelled a train on the 3rd day of the line operating)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)