after medicine/dentistry, what is the next most difficult course to enter? (1 Viewer)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
oh well
you can't please everyone.

bionut is a guy huh?
Oh woops. I didn't bother looking who the OP was.
Bio_nut is actually a fanny smuggler. It's Tamara, I think.

_henwee

HSC
Bachelor of Awesomeness... it's so difficult to enter, it doesn't exist... =O
Nah. jk.

Umm... I'd say Optometry? Dentistry? Pharmacy? Physiotherapy? All these medical related fields are comparatively difficult to enter. =]

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
im surprised no1 has mentioned this, but B Arts is pretty hard to get into imo. not only do u have to do the right combination of the worst scaling subjects u also have to be deluded enough to think its an actual degree.

Dragonangel

HSC
Well then, I'd say veterinary science is before medicine/dentistry (ie. it is harder). It's true though! The requirements for veterinary science are much more tougher.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Well then, I'd say veterinary science is before medicine/dentistry (ie. it is harder). It's true though! The requirements for veterinary science are much more tougher.
LOL. getting in with 98.55 is tougher than competing with other 99ers, umat and interview right?

Edit:98.55

Last edited:

Dragonangel

HSC
LOL. getting in with 99.55 is tougher than competing with other 99ers, umat and interview right?
Yup. :p Lol. We also have to do STAT and send in a commitment form. Most of us go to animal shelters and clean crap. I'd say that's harder than an interview in a cosy chair.

Vets have to be able to diagnose what is wrong with the animal when the animal can't tell them in words. Human doctors usually can get at least some words out of a patient to help find out what's wrong. Vets have to do more than just check ups, they have to do surgeries, dental scaling and polishing, deliver baby animals, and all sorts of stuff. You don't have one all purpose doctor like this for humans.

Vets have to have a broader knowledge base as you point out. Hard to say, but I'd say it probably ends up being about equal, since people take human medicine so much more seriously, but I'd say that vet school is probably overall more challenging.

NewiJapper

HSC
Like someone said, NIDA is quite hard to get into. 3 rounds of instensive auditions looking at acting, singing and movement ability. Plus afterwards having more than 5 days off in a year will get you kicked out. Its true, one of the actors of McClouds Daughters told me.

red-butterfly

HSC
yup. :p lol. We also have to do stat and send in a commitment form. Most of us go to animal shelters and clean crap. I'd say that's harder than an interview in a cosy chair.

Vets have to be able to diagnose what is wrong with the animal when the animal can't tell them in words. Human doctors usually can get at least some words out of a patient to help find out what's wrong. Vets have to do more than just check ups, they have to do surgeries, dental scaling and polishing, deliver baby animals, and all sorts of stuff. You don't have one all purpose doctor like this for humans.

Vets have to have a broader knowledge base as you point out. Hard to say, but i'd say it probably ends up being about equal, since people take human medicine so much more seriously, but i'd say that vet school is probably overall more challenging.
+1

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Yup. :p Lol. We also have to do STAT and send in a commitment form. Most of us go to animal shelters and clean crap. I'd say that's harder than an interview in a cosy chair.
the STAT is a joke compared to the UMAT srsly. and u think potential med students dont have to go to hospitals/clinics for experience? what else are u going to talk about at ur interviews? and as cosy as the chair may be, if u havent been in one of the interviews, u definitely have no idea.

is this relevant to the question? "after medicine/dentistry, what is the next most difficult course to enter?" note the word "ENTER". more evidence that vet is def easier to ENTER since u def wouldnt be able to pass the UMAT with that level of comprehension.
in regards to ur comments, its just like saying people at working at MacDonalds have to clean (dental polishing/scaling), know how to make soft serves, flip burgers and fill up drinks. and that makes them all purpose which is according to u better.
do u know y there isnt an all purpose doctor? its because humans are wayyyyyy more complicated/intelligent than animals. altho im not too sure anymore.

Vets have to have a broader knowledge base as you point out. Hard to say, but I'd say it probably ends up being about equal, since people take human medicine so much more seriously, but I'd say that vet school is probably overall more challenging.
again, irrelevant to the original topic. but broader knowledge maybe, more knowledge? definitely not.
srsly, humans are way more complicated than u think. emotions, race, culture, religion etc etc. u think they are irrelevant when treating some1?

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
FreshOffTheBoat:

Re-read your posts, do you not think they reek of a little med-induced snobbery?

Modesty should be the aim of all great doctors.

I don't deny that Medicine is overall the hardest to enter (though I think Law @ USYD is harder); there is an undergrad dent course at some Victorian uni which is also very difficult (forgot the institution?)

Also, on comprehension skills, are you so naive to think that an internet forum reflects people's academic ability? This would show a diminishment of logic on your behalf. Several of your posts consistently make attacks on people's abilities. Though in the post above your comparison of the vet's skills to the McDonald's worker was a logical fallicy.

Furthermore, I noticed that you posted above knocking arts students- this is only a sign of immaturity. Of the people I know, many who are exceedingly bright, many do arts. The degree content allows them to be explorative; it isn't prescriptive, it builds intutition and reasoning skills and can lead to great jobs if the student shines.

On the topic of reasoning/comprehension skills, one of my friends scored 99.75 (certainly enough for almost any course) and now does an Arts (philosophy/politics) degree: I wouldn't personally argue with them in a dark alley ;)

Last edited:

Dragonangel

HSC
On the topic of reasoning/comprehension skills, one of my friends scored 99.75 (certainly enough for almost any course) and now does an Arts (philosophy/politics) degree: I wouldn't personally argue with them in a dark alley ;)
That's amazing! ^^ It's inspiring to see people doing what they love, not just for the money. :p

the STAT is a joke compared to the UMAT srsly. and u think potential med students dont have to go to hospitals/clinics for experience? what else are u going to talk about at ur interviews? and as cosy as the chair may be, if u havent been in one of the interviews, u definitely have no idea.
The STAT is just a hurdle for veterinary science admission, not a difficult hurdle I admit. Potential medicine students (undergraduate) don't have to go to hospitals/clinics for experience at all since at the interview, the questions they ask is about you as a person, you growing up, your friends, your parents, your grandparents and your relationships with them, what you got out of school, who your role models were and obviously why you want to do medicine. I know this because my friend had to go to an interview.

It isn't compulsory to do work experience for medicine if you are an undergraduate, unlike veterinary science. We have a commitment form to fill out with many boxes to tick that include many different species of animals, such as experience with clipping a bird's wings, and such. The more boxes you tick, the better since you already have had some experience with animals. This makes the whole selection process more competitive because obviously those who have had more animal experience would be selected at a higher priority.

The UMAT is like a second chance, the following table are the average results that have been required over the past three years in order to be offered an interview:

As you can see, you don't need a ATAR in the 99s, unless you get a low UMAT raw mark of around 50. It is possible to gain entry with ATARs of 91-95, provided that you have your UMAT score to compensate, as how my friend gained entry.

Having to not do UMAT for veterinary science can be a detriment as the UMAT can not compensate for our ATAR scores if any of us don't achieve the cut off.

If you see the University of Sydney cutoffs: 2010 ATAR course cut-offs for <br>Faculty of Science degrees - Future Undergraduate Students - The University of Sydney

the medical courses require an ATAR score of at least 92/93.

You have to pass Year 12 with very high marks as getting into a university course is a cut-throat business with only the best applicants being accepted.
The University of Sydney, for example, will only take a Year 12 graduate with a University Admission Index of 98.2. Medical science courses only need a 95.45 mark!
According to this website: Becoming a Vet : Veterinary Science : Animal Welfare : Doctor : Education : Web Wombat

Don't you think this is unsurprising? There is obviously a greater demand for medicine students than vets, so don't you think it's only natural that vet entry would be far difficult because of this low demand?

is this relevant to the question? "after medicine/dentistry, what is the next most difficult course to enter?" note the word "ENTER". more evidence that vet is def easier to ENTER since u def wouldnt be able to pass the UMAT with that level of comprehension.
When I read this topic I automatically thought of veterinary science and wondered whether it would be the next most difficult course to enter. I thought otherwise, and thought that it would actually be before medicine/dentistry (ie. harder to gain entry). I apologize if my posts are slightly off topic.

in regards to ur comments, its just like saying people at working at MacDonalds have to clean (dental polishing/scaling), know how to make soft serves, flip burgers and fill up drinks. and that makes them all purpose which is according to u better.
So you're making all of this in relation to the people working at MacDonalds. Vets can be thought of people who can make soft serves, flip burgers and fill up drinks (ie. multi-purpose). Thus, doctors can only make soft serves?

do u know y there isnt an all purpose doctor? its because humans are wayyyyyy more complicated/intelligent than animals. altho im not too sure anymore.

again, irrelevant to the original topic. but broader knowledge maybe, more knowledge? definitely not.
srsly, humans are way more complicated than u think. emotions, race, culture, religion etc etc. u think they are irrelevant when treating some1?
More intelligent we may be, but emotions, race, culture and religion are irrelevant when you're doing surgery. Humans share common anatomical features with many other animals hence animals are just as complicated when it comes to humans when it comes to treating them.

I understand that this topic is "AFTER" medicine/dentistry, what's the hardest, so I think I'll stop typing now since I'm talking about "BEFORE". :p

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
The STAT is just a hurdle for veterinary science admission, not a difficult hurdle I admit. Potential medicine students (undergraduate) don't have to go to hospitals/clinics for experience at all since at the interview, the questions they ask is about you as a person, you growing up, your friends, your parents, your grandparents and your relationships with them, what you got out of school, who your role models were and obviously why you want to do medicine. I know this because my friend had to go to an interview.
Yeh, good luck with passing the interviews if u dont do any work experience related to medicine. What u have described there is unique to the UNSW interviews.

It isn't compulsory to do work experience for medicine if you are an undergraduate, unlike veterinary science. We have a commitment form to fill out with many boxes to tick that include many different species of animals, such as experience with clipping a bird's wings, and such. The more boxes you tick, the better since you already have had some experience with animals. This makes the whole selection process more competitive because obviously those who have had more animal experience would be selected at a higher priority.
UNSW do have a form to fill out, on which u have to state what work experience u have had that shows ur interest in the field of medicine. the UNSW interview is unique since it doesnt specifically ask about ur work experience, but u definitely need to have done it to increase ur chances. people who dont have any experience are often the ones that dont get the places. at every other medical school i have interviewed at (UAdel, Monash, UNCLE) they do ask about prior work exprience.

The UMAT is like a second chance, the following table are the average results that have been required over the past three years in order to be offered an interview:

As you can see, you don't need a ATAR in the 99s, unless you get a low UMAT raw mark of around 50. It is possible to gain entry with ATARs of 91-95, provided that you have your UMAT score to compensate, as how my friend gained entry.
u cant get into UNSW if ur ATAR is below 95 unless u are from a rural background. so a score of 68/71 in the UMAT is 99/100 percentile (top 1%). 66 is 97 percentile (top 3 %). 62 is 93 percentile (top 7%). given the students who sit this exam, its definitely serious business. the UMAT in itself is one of the toughest selectors. plenty of students scoring high 99s miss out because they either did not spend enough time preparing or just dont have the skills required for the UMAT.

and let me also point out that the table is the bare minimum for obtaining an interview which is often not enough. the students that get in have a combination of high UMAT and high ATAR. people with the bare minimum often dont make the cut unless their interview is one of a kinda/outstanding, since everything is weighted not hurdle requirements. i.e. if u get offered an interview, u dont automatically progress if ur interview is decent. they still weigh ur umat/ATAR to see if u make the cut.

Having to not do UMAT for veterinary science can be a detriment as the UMAT can not compensate for our ATAR scores if any of us don't achieve the cut off.

If you see the University of Sydney cutoffs: 2010 ATAR course cut-offs for <br>Faculty of Science degrees - Future Undergraduate Students - The University of Sydney

the medical courses require an ATAR score of at least 92/93.
bachelor of combined medicine is 99.95. medical science =/= medicine.

Don't you think this is unsurprising? There is obviously a greater demand for medicine students than vets, so don't you think it's only natural that vet entry would be far difficult because of this low demand?
this is my point all along.

So you're making all of this in relation to the people working at MacDonalds. Vets can be thought of people who can make soft serves, flip burgers and fill up drinks (ie. multi-purpose). Thus, doctors can only make soft serves?

More intelligent we may be, but emotions, race, culture and religion are irrelevant when you're doing surgery.
wow, i didnt mention surgery once when making that point and yet u can somehow link it all back to 1 specialty in medicine. have u considered any of the other specialties such as GPs, psychiatrists, physicians etc?

Humans share common anatomical features with many other animals hence animals are just as complicated when it comes to humans when it comes to treating them.
this is just...

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
So you agree then, that vet entry is more difficult than medentry?

Otherwise, what the hell are you going on about?
theres greater demand for med, hence its more competitive. i dont see how low demand equates to vet being more competitive? i was merely mocking u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)