2 Unit Maths (1 Viewer)

Miss-Buzz

HSC
so i am in year 10 this year and have to choose my year 11 and 12 subjects soon, and for those who know what it means i am in 5.2 maths. one of the subjects i really want to choose for HSC level is 2 Unit Maths but i can only get into that course if i am invited because i am in 5.2.:cry: My only other option is general maths.

So for those in year 11 and 12 is it worth putting in a lot (and i mean a lot, its incredibly difficult) of effort and hours of study to try and get into 2 unit maths next year or should i stick to general maths?

qwerty44

HSC
Well if you want it that bad, I'm sure you will do fine, so yes. I think you should get into it as enjoying subject+decent scaling=good marks.

Last edited:

Coookies

HSC
My teacher said *generally* 5.3 can take on extension, 5.2 can take on adv and 5.1 should stick with general or no maths at all. But I think if you actually like maths then you should do advanced.

coolstuffbro

HSC
Hey! I'm in year 12 this year and I found that 2U mathematics isn't as hard as i thought it would be. If you put in some time into it and be patient, i guess it's a good choice. As in terms of being difficult, you can drop down to General maths anytime. It's easier that way. But yes, just do the best as you can and you will do well. Trust me!! :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's definitely worth effort to get into 2U.

I think if you're aiming for a highish ATAR generally, you would be capable to do 2U and generally, it you were to have to do general, you would be better off doing a humanity or another sub you're better at. Unless you have to do general cause of the lines at your school. But general maths may satisfy people's need for maths, but if you're capable you should definitely always do the highest level you can.

crazy_paki123

HSC
choose 2U!!! it turns out to be WAY easier after a while nd is WAY better than general maths:biggrin:

eshay lad 69

HSC
N/A
just remember if it turns out you need 2unit 4 a uni course it will be harder to learn the whole subject in ~1 week in a bridge course than it would be just to do itin year 11 and 12

jmadden

HSC
definitely do 2U maths.
you seem like you enjoy maths and it so much more worth while than general.
plus it scales much higher than gen maths too.

I am currently accelerating 2 unit and find its not as difficult as you would first think.
read ahead on differentiating and integrating functions and youll do well.

good luck

Dash8

HSC
definitely do 2U maths.
you seem like you enjoy maths and it so much more worth while than general.
plus it scales much higher than gen maths too.

I am currently accelerating 2 unit and find its not as difficult as you would first think.
read ahead on differentiating and integrating functions and youll do well.

good luck
The scaling is actually shocking. One of the maths teachers at my school came into my 2 unit class and told us that unless we are getting very high marks like high band five or band six then there is no point in doing 2 unit (unless you really need it for university). In past years, kids who were on track to getting a band 2 or 3 in 2unit dropped to general and ended up getting a band 5 or 6 in general.

jmadden

HSC
The scaling is actually shocking. One of the maths teachers at my school came into my 2 unit class and told us that unless we are getting very high marks like high band five or band six then there is no point in doing 2 unit (unless you really need it for university). In past years, kids who were on track to getting a band 2 or 3 in 2unit dropped to general and ended up getting a band 5 or 6 in general.
the scale isnt shocking if you get a band 5 or 6?
whats the point of dropping to general when you can get a band 5 in 2u.
if you are getting a band 3 in 2u why would you pick it? just a bit more study can improve that to a high band 4 or even band 5.
which scales higher than general maths.

the op also sounds like they enjoy maths so putting in that just a bit more effort would be more beneficial then in doing well in general.

enoilgam

HSC
2 unit scales quite well - of course if you are getting say band 3 or less, then the scaling wont be so good. But thats pretty much the case in every subject.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Definitely give 2U a shot if you put in the effort you will do well it's a good subject, 5.2 is fine just as long as you know your stuff 2U isn't that scary (so far for me atleast)

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
What other subjects are you doing? If Mathematics is not your forte and you think diverting energy into it is not worth it, then perhaps best not to choose it...

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Give 2U a shot. You can always drop down to General if you don't like 2U.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)