15 units (1 Viewer)

cerys

because i can.
HSC
Would 15u be too much for year 12?

I'm currently really confused as to which subject to drop for next term - French Beginners (OHS) or Music 1. I'm getting mid/high 80's for the subject and was considering dropping French if I got less than 85% fo the yearly exam, but we haven't gotten the results back yet. And as for music, I lack in the practical aspects of it but I'm doing fairly well for theory (just started the subject this year).

I'll be picking up Japanese Extension and English Extension 2 as well.

Should I not drop any subjects and do 15u nxt year (thats if I'm allowed to.Plus I'd have to dedicate ALOT of time to studying, unlike this year) or should I drop one (or both at that matter so I can focus on my other subjects)??? Theres going to be a few disappointed teachers in the end ;P

I like & dislike French and Music equally I guess. Sometimes I ike them, sometimes I don't, sometimes I feel motivated, most of the time fairly lazy.

I'm a lazy person and haven't really studied much, only crammed before exams, but I think next year It'll definately have to change (I get between hig 80's tolow/mid/high 90's in my exams & assessments).

Does anyone know someone/have done 15units, whether it be in year 11 or 12 - how did you go with it? Could you handle it?

I need advice.

edit:
Just incase it's needed, the subjects I'm doing atm:
English Advance
English Extension
Japanese Continuers (OHS)
Ancient History
Visual Arts

French Beginners (OHS)
Music 1

Last edited:

lolokay

HSC
you could always just drop them both (even 13 units is quite a lot)
do you really learn much in either of them? are you going better in either of them than in any of your other subjects that you don't want to drop?

cerys

because i can.
HSC
@ajdlinux ~ Sometimes I enjoy music, esp. the practical part even though I suck at piano ;D As for French, I get motivated when I watch someone speaking French and think "one day I want to speak like that!' but then it fades after a while. I think in terms of ease, music would be easier because it isn't like French where you must do consistent work, remember vocab, learn structures etc. Plus I'm doing it via OHS which means I don't have a teacher face-to-face all the time to ask for help.

@lolokay ~ Not really.... XD Those two subjects aren't really gonna benefit me... Well maybe French if I decide to do something related to some sort of International studies, translator or interpreter-esque job I guess. As for music I really only chose it because there was nothing else I wanted to do in that line. The teachers really want me to keep it though LOL!

Music and French are the only ones I want to drop ><

I could drop both and just pick up the two 1u's I want, but I don't know.... I hate disappointing teachers :X

But... I really don't know! @w@ Ahh geez...

@lyounamu ~ I guess you could say that... I like all my subjects! But I don't think I really should do 15u.... I might die from stress or something xD

Keep all the subjects, do 5u for fun and the other 10u do the work seriously :D jkjk

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Why would you do 15 units? I mean, unless you really like all your subjects...

lolokay

HSC
Is there even enough periods in the fortnight to do 15 units?
I would probably say to drop french - especially if you don't always have a teacher (what's OHS exactly?); you can always just teach yourself some basic french when you're in the mood.

You might as well keep music 1, at least for a little while. It's a bludgy subject so it would quite possibly relieve stress from other subjects rather than create stress from extra workload. Maybe it gets more serious in year 12, but if you're doing it for fun then you may as well just see how it turns out.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lolokay said:
Is there even enough periods in the fortnight to do 15 units?
I would probably say to drop french - especially if you don't always have a teacher (what's OHS exactly?); you can always just teach yourself some basic french when you're in the mood.

You might as well keep music 1, at least for a little while. It's a bludgy subject so it would quite possibly relieve stress from other subjects rather than create stress from extra workload. Maybe it gets more serious in year 12, but if you're doing it for fun then you may as well just see how it turns out.
OHS = Open High School.

She can probably do 15 easy because she does 2 units outside school which only leaves 13 units for school and most schools can manage 13 units in timetable.

bubblesss

HSC
i still think 15 is way too many. just drop a subject and concentrate more on the others. don't worry about disappointed teachers. its ur future!!!!!!!!!:uhhuh: :uhhuh: :uhhuh: :uhhuh:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
15 units? That's a bit much. I wouldn't suggest doing more than 12, but hey, that's me. If I were you I'd drop VA. Waste of time .. you have to create all those artworks which might take so much of your time and the teacher might not even like your creative side. Well, that's just my opinion :)

cerys

because i can.
HSC
^ Coming 1st in VA :)

lol OHS = Open High School as lyounamu says :)

Yeh, I agree... 15 is too much. I should just flip a coin, really ;P

I think I'll end up dropping French because when your friends have free periods with you.... Nothing gets done >___>;

I recon I'm lagging a whole module behind, and sometimes I cbf to do the work at home considering how lazy I am. I am pathetic at listening as well. But maybe thats because I don' listen to the CD, I skim through the work just to put it on the worksheets.

But for music... I just cbf as well. But I got pretty decent marks for the Viva Voce I did the night before, and the teachers think I'm doing pretty well in it.

Last edited:

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
cerys i do 16 for prelim which is dropping to 14 from today, i can handle it but personally i would not do above 14, as for then that is way hectic.

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
15?! you'll die.

i say drop the music. its a lot harder to do well in music (esp. music 1 which is scaled horribly anyway). theres a lot of very skilled performers in music 1 (although not as many as in music 2 =P)

keep french. its more useful. and fun. i trust you have an interest in language anyway, since you're doing jap continuers+ext.

themadness

HSC
I had a friend who started with 15 units and finished year 12 with 10 units. He had to do some of his classes outside of school when he had the 15 unit load.

Personally, I had 13 units worth of subjects and I didn't really end up doing well in some of my subjects. If you personally think you can cope with 15 units, go for it. However, keep in mind that only 10 go towards your UAI, with two of these units coming from English. So in other words you are doing a great heap of superfluous units.

cerys

because i can.
HSC
@xxstef ~

And I was all set for dropping French XD

The problem with French is that I just CBF to remember all the vocab and grammar because I'm learning Japanese as well.. And listening is a pain in the arse!

As for music, I might just keep it as a 'fun' subject because I already have 10 units which I'm aiming high in. I'm not doing terribly in music so I might even aim for a 90 in Music if I do continue it. I mean, I just always do viva voces instead of performance for the HSC ;D

@themadness ~ I doubt I'd be able to cope with 15 xD Well... Maybe if I dedicated all my time to h/w and study. I have no problem atm with 13 and thats with me being lazy! Considering procrastination is my middle name, I would definately die from 15u unless someone chucked my PC into the ocean O:

Definately not doing 15u. Don't wanna die from stress ><; But as you all indicated, it sounds very tough coping with it.

Last edited:

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
Yeah okay, 15U is definitely too much.

Although if you're going to keep Music as a 'fun' subject for year 12, I'd say you should drop it - it's best if you actually focus on subjects you're serious about.

Hysterik

HSC
DON'T do 15 units if you're doing a language extension + english extension 2. Take it from me, both units are an incredible amount of work for the amount of marks they're worth, especially the latter. Don't put yourself through it! :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)