• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

13 year old girl denied abortion (2 Viewers)

Riewe

HSC
In this scenario, it is probably in the best interests of everyone that she has an abortion, as she obviously cannot support the upbringing of a child, the child would have almost no quality of life being born in that environment. And if she is deemed to be too immature to make a decision, then how can they say she is mature enough to bring up a child?

And after she has the abortion, maybe they can then charge the male involved with statutory rape, or it may even be classed as rape, as having sex with a 13 year old is definitely against the law and he should be held accountable.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Gosh that is a really tough thing for her to have to go through. I think what disturbs me the most about it is how Americans tend to turn everything into the bigger political issue which surrounds in order to make a point and soon it is not even about the person in question. You only have to look at Terri Shiavo to see that.

So i really hope what is right for the girl is done and it's not just done to make a point about a wider sociological issue and she is really helped along the way with whatever decision happens because either way it is going to be extremely tough on her.

Skeeta

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
The youngest person to give birth was only 6 years old. Someone had to have sex with her.
the father was her father. It was in some jungle in the middle of nowhere therefore she was more developed that a normal five year old.

and about this story.. if they dont think she is mature enough to make the decision to have an abortion.. how is she going to be mature enough to go through with the birth and possibly raise a child

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Skeeta said:
the father was her father. It was in some jungle in the middle of nowhere therefore she was more developed that a normal five year old.

and about this story.. if they dont think she is mature enough to make the decision to have an abortion.. how is she going to be mature enough to go through with the birth and possibly raise a child
They will take the child, they will both be wards of the state.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
The question that should be asked here is wtf is a 13 yr old pregnant. I think there should be an investigation into who got here pregnant, cause at 13 she cant possibly consent to sex.
When I heard there reasoning that she isnt mature enough to have an abortion, I wondered how is she mature enough to raise a child? I dont think the state should take her child cause thats is just not right, unless she wants the state to

Last edited:

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Phanatical said:
The state has EVERY right to intervene, especially if it means the protection of a human life. There are of course quality of life issues, but if she wasn't raped then the child deserves a chance to live, and a set of infertile parents deserve a chance to give this child a good life. If she WAS raped, then I would (guardedly) support an abortion ASAP on the basis that the child would not have a good quality of life knowing he or she were the progeny of a rapist.
what do you mean 'if' she wasn't raped? she is thirteen. according to the law any sex she has is rape

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
yeh...o wells these things happen everyday...take it as a lesson (well i hope none of u here is 12 yrs old) and dont go having unprotected sex if u dont want to be pregnant

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
personally i think a 13 year old is capable of having a baby and caring for it
although i think its wrong and shouldnt happen..
my little sister is 13 and if this girl is anything like my sister then she quite possibly could manage
and i think she can also decide if she wants to abort or not
and people in other countrys are married and pregnant by 13..so its not really that big a deal..and there is heaps of mature 13 yearolds
it all depends on what this girl is like and her situation

Last edited:

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
yeh...o wells these things happen everyday...take it as a lesson (well i hope none of u here is 12 yrs old) and dont go having unprotected sex if u dont want to be pregnant
who said she had unprotected sex? and which part of her being thirteen makes you think that she wasn't raped? because, you know, she was

sugared plum

HSC
hmm maybe HSC_sUcKsSsS thought the moral of the story was:
* don't get raped ; but
* if you do decide to get raped, make sure it is "protected" rape.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
Well, first of all I think 13 is WAY too young to have sex...I don't care how many of you disagree with me, but I think that you need a certain level of emotional maturity which you just DON'T have at 13....

But, I strongly believe it should be a woman's choice whether to have an abortion or to keep the baby. It is not the choice of some aging male politicians who probably can't even remember what it was like to be a teenager. I think that having a baby at 13 would be very detrimental to the girl's mental state in all seriousness. I don't think that you could POSSIBLY be able to cope with the mental maturity required to be a mother. I mean, teenage years are probably the most selfish years of people's lives, because they are trying to cope with their own changes in physical appearance, and hormonal levels. Yet it is precicely these years that she will need to think almost solely of her child. SHE'S still a CHILD for goodnes sake.

however (and I know I'm about to contradict myself somewhat) abortion shouldn't be used as a means to have unprotected sex.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
In situations where a minor is deemed too immature to make a decision isn't it usually deferred to the parents? Not saying that this is a 100% desirable solution, but unless they're hugely religious they'll probably agree that an abortion is the best idea.

K

katie_tully

And in this situation, because she is homeless the state is making her have the baby, which they will then take off her. That is possibly the most undesirable position to put a young girl in. How can you expect a 13 year old girl to go through labour, against her wishes? I wouldn't be suprised if she went and had a backyard abortion.

In other cases, I dare say it would be rare to find a 13 year old engaging in sexual intercourse, none the less it happens. Perhaps this can be attributed to the fact teenagers appear to be "maturing" at an early age, and society no longer restricts it. Just seeing the way the year 7 girls act now scares me, as I remember when I was 13. I wasn't interested in boys, getting drunk or staying up until 3 am on a Friday night. Yet these girls who are anywhere from 5 years younger than me are partying harder than I ever will.

I think it's a reflection of our times. I'm not saying lock up your children until they're 30...But if it happens to a 13 year old with a stable family background, then I think the parents are the ones who need to be examined under the microscope, not necessarily the child.

Abbeygale

HSC
MasterP said:
Just think how that 5 year old managed. Rip it up.
I don't know if this is better or worse, but according to this site- http://snopes.com/pregnant/medina.asp she had a C-Section. (Also includes a picture of her pregnant, and lists the age at which she first menstruated).

And 13 year old girls, well... We've had 12 and 11 year olds give birth in Australia without too much trouble.
She's definitely in no position to raise the baby. However, she does have the option of foster care/adoption. But on the other hand, carrying a pregnancy to term would be a pretty scary thing for a 13 year old girl who's dead set against doing it.

HSC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4510847.stm

Florida girl's abortion allowed

Governor Jeb Bush says Florida will not fight the ruling
A pregnant 13-year-old girl in Florida has been allowed to have an abortion after a legal battle over the issue.
The girl, known only as LG, was told last week she could not have an abortion, because she lacked the maturity to make such a decision.

But the same judge reversed the order late on Monday, after LG underwent a psychological evaluation.
(Rest of article on site).

It's a bit later on in the pregnancy than what you'd hope for, but I think given the circumstances they've made the right decision. At her age either of the two, giving birth or having an abortion, will seriously impact upon the rest of her life, but I think it's definitely for the better that she's at least dealt with it the way she wanted to. Obviously she's very young to be making the decision either way, and it's very sad that she was put in this position at all, but I think she's at least as qualified as the state to make the call, so personally I'm glad it has come to what I see as a reasonable end to a bad situation.

(No points for guessing that I'm pro-choice, but eh).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)