12 hours quality study a day? (1 Viewer)

jwilkinson

HSC
My dad somehow did 12 hours quality study a day, every day till end of exams because he somehow did it during his hsc.. Im maxing out at like 8-9 but just wondering what are peoples opinions on how much quality study you can do a day? And what about going to the beach or anything like that during this period of study? Just wanting peoples thoughts/opinions.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you're doing 8-9 hours a day with the ranks you've currently got, then it's neither effective or efficient studying you're doing.

For an 80, you don't need to be putting in anywhere near that amount of work.

deswa1

HSC
12 hours of quality study is bullcrap imo- I don't think that's actually possible. He probably did heaps though so good on him. Personally I reckon its really hard to get past 6 quality hours (note you need breaks and stuff when you study too) though some people can do it- I'm hitting like 6 now atm.

And no, I wouldn't go to the beach right now as much as I really want to lol

Verify

HSC
12 hours a day. What. That's like studying for the whole time you are awake because after that you're going to be tired as hell and sleep for another 12 hours.

jwilkinson

HSC
Nahh not aimin for state rank, be pretty sick though and yeah i wanna do it cause i dunno what else to do ahaha you know what you wanna major in? yeah he was a 99.95 but I'm not that bothered about it. he just wants me to do my best tbh and that's how he did it, anyway beach in a month!!

jwilkinson

HSC
Sorry for the sentence typo in the title btw meant to say 'and cause he somehow did it he expects me to' and yeahh 8am-10.30pm with breaks

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I bow down to anyone that can actually study effectively for that time...I'm a mere study mortal.

But I think honestly, sometimes shorter study but more productive is better. If I stuffed around many things could take longer.

Rawf

HSC
Erm.. 12 hours a day sounds crazy.
I wake up at 12pm everyday (soon to be 1 because day light savings is stating soon?) and I only start studying at 1.30pm and i study until 6pm and thats basically it lolol.
So I study 4.5hours a day. Some days less, but eh. I'm behind in everything :p

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Nahh not aimin for state rank, be pretty sick though and yeah i wanna do it cause i dunno what else to do ahaha you know what you wanna major in? yeah he was a 99.95 but I'm not that bothered about it. he just wants me to do my best tbh and that's how he did it, anyway beach in a month!!
ahh so your dad was born in 2009

enoilgam

HSC
Study should be goal oriented as opposed to being time oriented. Saying you studied for X hours per day doesnt really mean much, its the effectiveness of that study which gives it value.

Very few people could get away with 12 hours of quality study - with study, the law of diminishing marginal returns holds true. Now, some people may say this is just laziness, but for most people, when you are working this much your productivity naturally decreases - irrespective of your will power or work ethic. To be honest, there comes a point where study really does become redundant.

Last edited:

jwilkinson

HSC
This is legit not trolling, and never said 99.95 was the top rank at the time. I'm actually curious as to peoples study habits and if its actually possible to do quality study for 12 hours a day, 3 weeks straight

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
The question is still valid though.
And yeah, I agree - and will provide my take on the question below (sorry for the spam, just a bit 'o fun).

If your 12 hours of study is QUALITY, and you're able to sustain this, then that's great imo. I don't agree with people saying 'it's not necessary' (who are you to make that call?). It might be OP's aim to top every single subject and get an aggregate of 498 - in which case it could potentially be very necessary.

If your aim is to get in the 80s, then no need to bother, tbh. My tentative diagnosis is that, with your ranks, if you are studying 12 hours a day, those hours aren't of a very high quality.

Demise

HSC
If your aim is to get in the 80s, then no need to bother, tbh. My tentative diagnosis is that, with your ranks, if you are studying 12 hours a day, those hours aren't of a very high quality.
Could you provide your reasoning behind that? I'm aiming for about 88 and I'm doing about 6-8 hours a day, should I just not bother - as in it's impossible to get, or 88 is easy and doesn't require that much effort? (Since you said in the 80s).

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Could you provide your reasoning behind that? I'm aiming for about 88 and I'm doing about 6-8 hours a day, should I just not bother - as in it's impossible to get, or 88 is easy and doesn't require that much effort?
^ confirmed troll guise.

To answer your question and avoid another hypocritical infraction given the rubbish that gets posted on these boards day in day out, then yes - the average person will agree with the latter part of your post. 88 is easy especially if you're putting in 6+ hours a day.

Demise

HSC
^ confirmed troll guise.

To answer your question and avoid another hypocritical infraction given the rubbish that gets posted on these boards day in day out, then yes - the average person will agree with the latter part of your post. 88 is easy especially if you're putting in 6+ hours a day.
I'm not trolling, I'm being genuine. If so, I freaking love you. :D

jnney

lemon
HSC
The number of hours that you "should" be putting each day is dependent upon you to decide, and nobody else. You know what you need. Some may do 3hrs/day, some 6, and some 12. If you feel that the number of hours you're doing is rendering your study useless, then make some changes. Otherwise, stick to what you're comfortable with/what you are doing now.

enoilgam

HSC
The number of hours that you "should" be putting each day is dependent upon you to decide, and nobody else. You know what you need. Some may do 3hrs/day, some 6, and some 12. If you feel that the number of hours you're doing is rendering your study useless, then make some changes. Otherwise, stick to what you're comfortable with/what you are doing now.
Very true I think - as I have said before, study as about finding what works for you.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Idk if this is off topic, sort of on topic I guess, but I have found I tend to over study things, in the sense that I can do all of it after x amount of hours, yet I study it for so many more hours because im scared I might forget it, then there ends up being a whole shitload of stuff to study but im paranoid that if I dont go over every single bit then I'll forget something crucial. Is this a problem or just something a lot of people tend to end up doing?

idk, this could be bad for HSC, paranoia of understudying........anyone else have this?

jnney

lemon
HSC
Idk if this is off topic, sort of on topic I guess, but I have found I tend to over study things, in the sense that I can do all of it after x amount of hours, yet I study it for so many more hours because im scared I might forget it, then there ends up being a whole shitload of stuff to study but im paranoid that if I dont go over every single bit then I'll forget something crucial. Is this a problem or just something a lot of people tend to end up doing?

idk, this could be bad for HSC, paranoia of understudying........anyone else have this?
"scared that I might forget it" - are you cramming, or lack a bit of confidence in your abilities?

I have that paranoia as well, but it's to ensure that I'm as well prepared for my exams as possible.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)