11 or 13 units? (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Drop it. I'm sort of in the same situation as you except I'm dropping Economics.

lordesf

HSC
the-derivative said:
Hey guys!

After all the threads about units and subject selections - it got me thinking about my subject selections. I was wondering - should I do 11 units or should I do 13? I currently have 13 units (in my signature) and I was thinking of dropping Software Design & Development - mainly because ever since the prelim - I've lost an interest in it and I've allowed myself to drop from 1st ranking to 4th.

However the reason why I haven't dropped already is that I'm a bit concerned with my other subjects - mainly Extension 2 Maths, I'm scared that if I stuff up MX2 - that I'll only have 1 unit of religion to replace it, therefore my bad mark will be counted - potentially scaling me down.

I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks in advance guys.
DONT DROP 4u! it is he rewarding, the sclaing is incredible! even more than expectation!in the hsc i know i onlu got 55% (certain) and it scaled to 80 as an alligned mark, i put tht into the uai calculator it gave me an equiavlent of 98 uai... for 4u.

So if a raw mark of 55% gets u 98 uai y would u drop lol! and indeed ithelped me so much in my uai

jasmineIStheSEX

HSC
definitely do 13 units because if you screw up a course you're still fine. and yeah, 4U scales heaps from what i've heard! keep it!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
the-derivative said:
Cool - thanks guys.

I'm gonna drop SDD now - made up my mind.
Hopefully the study periods will allow me to work harder and improve on my 4U maths.

Thanks again guys.
Hurrah, you get water/tea if we go to Wagamama's again :headbang:

the-derivative said:
But yeah - my friend goes to CVH. From her description - Study periods seem really cool at your school. Heard that if you have one in the morning you don't have to go to school until your first class.
We have to come to school if it's first... but we get to leave early if its last period :D

jasmineIStheSEX said:
definitely do 13 units because if you screw up a course you're still fine. and yeah, 4U scales heaps from what i've heard! keep it!
Anomaly.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
The fact that you are even doing 4U maths must mean you're relatively good at it.

So like the kids have said - focus on keeping 4U up, and drop SDD.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
jasmineIStheSEX said:
even if he screws up and drops SDD he's going to have 11 units and tbh, after getting a band 6 in the HSC for 3U, do you really think he needs to worry about stuffing up?

If SDD is that much of a pain in your arse, you're better off concentrating on something that will scale you well if you kick ass in it, i.e. 4U maths

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
katie tully said:
even if he screws up and drops SDD he's going to have 11 units and tbh, after getting a band 6 in the HSC for 3U, do you really think he needs to worry about stuffing up?

If SDD is that much of a pain in your arse, you're better off concentrating on something that will scale you well if you kick ass in it, i.e. 4U maths
Haha yeah thanks for that =)
Although i didn't get a Band 6 in 3U though - but there's always second time round =)

Also thanks for the advice to everyone else.
I've decided to drop SDD - because I don't think it's worth it sacrificing time away from 4U.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
Haha yeah thanks for that =)
Although i didn't get a Band 6 in 3U though - but there's always second time round =)

Also thanks for the advice to everyone else.
I've decided to drop SDD - because I don't think it's worth it sacrificing time away from 4U.
That's the right choice, my friend.

Now, what about me...lol - jks

dp624

HSC
youngminii said:
I thought you were one of the people that WANTS him to drop MX2.
:uhoh:
what, so she can state rank more easily?
better watch out namu, anna's gonna get you

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
the-derivative said:
Haha Anna's a shifty one xD

Nah but I also think Namu should drop 4U - I mean getting 100 in any HSC subject and not using it - such a waste in my opinion.
Oh no people have caught onto my shiftiness XD

Nah but seriously... 100 in 2U is 100 in 4U anyway so instead of wasting his time he could concentrate on other subjects. That's what i'd do anyway.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
annabackwards said:
Oh no people have caught onto my shiftiness XD

Nah but seriously... 100 in 2U is 100 in 4U anyway so instead of wasting his time he could concentrate on other subjects. That's what i'd do anyway.
98 isn't bad either, maybe u can drop it too

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
98 isn't bad either, maybe u can drop it too
98 = 94-95 scaled mark

5 scaled mark is huge. Anna seems to be aiming for 99.90+ range, then loss of 5-6 scaled marks from each subject will barely get her 99.90 (more like 99.80 range).

edit: fixed the typo

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
wow, i'd hate to lose 506 scaled marks.

that said, 100 4u is pretty hard. but very doable.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
dp624 said:
wow, i'd hate to lose 506 scaled marks.

that said, 100 4u is pretty hard. but very doable.
Maybe for 100UAI people like you but for people like me 95 seems very far away.

fishbulb

HSC
I did software and 4 unit maths. Software isn't particularly easy (in fact quite hard), but without natural computer/programming skills, you will find that it will take a lot of time. Also, 4 unit maths didn't take too much of my time, I just did lessons in the morning and topic hsc questions every 2 weeks. I was also required to do 2 unit in year 12. Same with software, didn't take too much time, i only spent 2 days preparing for the hsc and I got 91 for it, thanks to sdd summaries on bored of studies.

However, software scaling is very poor (no idea why, maybe quality of cohort is quite crappy) despite the test being difficult.

Also, 60/120 won't necessarily get you mid to high 80's, if you get a hard test like last year, 60/120 will probably get you 80 aligned. I got around 73/120 and got 88 aligned, where i reckon 78-80/120 was an E4.

Drop software if you know you won't succeed in it, however, if you like the subject then do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)