11 or 13 units? (1 Viewer)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Hey guys!

After all the threads about units and subject selections - it got me thinking about my subject selections. I was wondering - should I do 11 units or should I do 13? I currently have 13 units (in my signature) and I was thinking of dropping Software Design & Development - mainly because ever since the prelim - I've lost an interest in it and I've allowed myself to drop from 1st ranking to 4th.

However the reason why I haven't dropped already is that I'm a bit concerned with my other subjects - mainly Extension 2 Maths, I'm scared that if I stuff up MX2 - that I'll only have 1 unit of religion to replace it, therefore my bad mark will be counted - potentially scaling me down.

I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks in advance guys.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
Hey guys!

After all the threads about units and subject selections - it got me thinking about my subject selections. I was wondering - should I do 11 units or should I do 13? I currently have 13 units (in my signature) and I was thinking of dropping Software Design & Development - mainly because ever since the prelim - I've lost an interest in it and I've allowed myself to drop from 1st ranking to 4th.

However the reason why I haven't dropped already is that I'm a bit concerned with my other subjects - mainly Extension 2 Maths, I'm scared that if I stuff up MX2 - that I'll only have 1 unit of religion to replace it, therefore my bad mark will be counted - potentially scaling me down.

Thanks in advance guys.
Lol 4 unit maths never scales down really (which was the case this year and except the very last portion of people who get like 10%).

Look at the scaling report and you will see that any marks (except some abysmal exceptions) basically in 4 unit can beat band 5+ in SDD which makes us to question, "why?"

It's because SDD's is extremely poor in terms of scaling.

I really suggest you drop SDD unless you are confident of getting 95+ but even with 94+ in SDD, if you end up getting 85+ in 4 unit, that beats it.

BTW, like 50% get 85+ aligned in 4 unit so you are MUCH MUCH better off without SDD and the extra work that you have to go through.

dp624

HSC
Yes I agree, 4u > all pretty much

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
11 units

have faith in 4U maths, it will pull u through with some effort

SOR I will only kick in if uve seriously stuffed up

look at me for example, SOR I Did not count for my UAI, despite the fact i got 49/50 for it while i got 94/100 for Physics (47/50, per unit basis, lowest non-english course)

so id say unless ur gonna get below 70/120 RAW in the 4U exam, go to 11 units

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Pwnage101 said:
11 units

have faith in 4U maths, it will pull u through with some effort

SOR I will only kick in if uve seriously stuffed up

look at me for example, SOR I Did not count for my UAI, despite the fact i got 49/50 for it while i got 94/100 for Physics (47/50, per unit basis, lowest non-english course)

so id say unless ur gonna get below 70/120 RAW in the 4U exam, go to 11 units
even with 60/120 raw in 4 unit, mid to high 80 is guaranteed (depending on the exam though). The average mark for 4 unit is around 60s according to the BOS statistics (from 1991-2000) and this average marks gives around 84-88 aligned.

But below 60 is too risky.

Rainie

HSC
Drop SDD and focus on 4u Maths. You'll do fine with the extra time for study. Your intuition told you to drop it in the preliminary years. If you lost interest in it, frankly to say, I don't think you'd have the interest to concentrate on SDD anymore...

I say go for 11 units =)

bubblesss

HSC
the-derivative said:
Hey guys!

Thanks in advance guys.
just drop SDD and keep 11 units. you can concentrate more if u have less units and 4 unit maths mostly scales u up unless u get like below 20% or something, which im pretty sure u wont, by looking at your 2008 accelerated course marks. even if you choose to keep SDD it would be useless and a WASTE of time since u have lost interest in the subject.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I agree with all of the "sane" people above.

Drop it and keep your sanity :)

I'm sure you won't struggle with 4U, especially with Truong and the study group backing you up :D

Last edited:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Drop SDD Nathan. Don't waste time on those 2 units if you're not interested in the course.

For example, in my final preliminary physics exam, I got 30% (rank 9/18). I wasn't interested at all whatsoever in the preliminary course, and hence I didn't put any effort into it, and studied the night before. I also shuffled with my friends in the Physics Labs while my other friend was randomly making videos with his phone lol. Good times....

THEN, I found the HSC course far more interesting and jumped to outright 2nd. Space is fun.

Spend the time you drop 2u of SDD onto 4U maths.

That is all.

dp624

HSC
annabackwards said:
I agree with all of the "sane" people above.

Drop it and keep yoru sanity :)

I'm sure you won't struggle with 4U, especially with Truong and the study group backing you up :D
Ah, Truong
I don't like him that much. haha
Also none of his students state ranked in 4u this year. He usually gets 1 in 4u

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
do eleven. i had thirteen at the beginning of year twelve [subjects below + d&t] and i dropped d&t and it's so much of a relief.

and i agree, four unit trumps everything.

drop!!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
dp624 said:
Ah, Truong
I don't like him that much. haha
Also none of his students state ranked in 4u this year. He usually gets 1 in 4u
AHAHA i bet you his "raging" at someone right now XD

DROP NATHAN DROP!

0hNivlek

HSC
Study periods here = hide and seek, stuck in the mud, dead dog or gossip in library :bomb:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
0hNivlek said:
Study periods here = hide and seek, stuck in the mud, dead dog or gossip in library :bomb:
HAHA - at my school we have a teacher supervising us most of the time - so I should be able to get some work done. Ever since I picked up 4U Maths - I've missed study periods.

But yeah - my friend goes to CVH. From her description - Study periods seem really cool at your school. Heard that if you have one in the morning you don't have to go to school until your first class.

dp624

HSC
Wow, Ruse Study periods sound like CVH study periods all of a sudden... haha

dp624

HSC
duckcowhybrid said:
They are like CVH study periods. So looking forward to 5 frees a fortnight.
I had 15, haha
you go to ruse too? nice

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
13 units is a pretty big workload with your subjects, like Ext 2 maths and physics.

It is entirely up to you and the confidence you have in your subjects, however I recommend 11 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)