11 or 13 units? (1 Viewer)

HSC
yeah I think the same about software. The prac/programming and algorithm side to it is quite difficult but the theory part is quite easy to understand.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
fishbulb said:
I did software and 4 unit maths. Software isn't particularly easy (in fact quite hard), but without natural computer/programming skills, you will find that it will take a lot of time. Also, 4 unit maths didn't take too much of my time, I just did lessons in the morning and topic hsc questions every 2 weeks. I was also required to do 2 unit in year 12. Same with software, didn't take too much time, i only spent 2 days preparing for the hsc and I got 91 for it, thanks to sdd summaries on bored of studies.

However, software scaling is very poor (no idea why, maybe quality of cohort is quite crappy) despite the test being difficult.

Also, 60/120 won't necessarily get you mid to high 80's, if you get a hard test like last year, 60/120 will probably get you 80 aligned. I got around 73/120 and got 88 aligned, where i reckon 78-80/120 was an E4.

Drop software if you know you won't succeed in it, however, if you like the subject then do it.
Wow thanks for that. That's some great advice.
Yeah with software - the theory component is really easy for me - that's probably the only reason why I kept it till now - because I hate the programming aspect. The algorithms are alright for me, however our coding language is VB.NET and I really hate that language - dim this dim that - it's stupid imo.

Also with the scaling - it's pretty stuffed. I've been told that the SDD exam is pretty difficult - I know because in the prelims our whole class failed. But yeah - it still scales like crap.

shawty-snappin said:
yeah I think the same about software. The prac/programming and algorithm side to it is quite difficult but the theory part is quite easy to understand.
Yeah I agree, most of the theory is common sense, however a lot of the practical stuff isn't.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
lyounamu said:
98 = 94-95 scaled mark

5 scaled mark is huge. Anna seems to be aiming for 99.90+ range, then loss of 5-6 scaled marks from each subject will barely get her 99.90 (more like 99.80 range).

edit: fixed the typo
Yeah, that's exactly why i'm not dropping 4U for anything. That, the fact that i actually quite like the subject and i know i can do much better when i'm trying :D

I guess the-derivative's mind is made up about dropping SDD ^^

Last edited:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
annabackwards said:
Yeah, that's exactly why i'm not dropping 4U for anything. That, the fact that i actually quite like the subject and i know i can do much better when i'm trying :D

I guess the-derivative's mind is made up about dropping SDD ^^
Yeah I have... just read my sig =)

Anyway - Anna even if you drop 4U - you'll be ok because you got an awesome mark in 2U.

xMrRand0m

HSC
I know this thread hasn't been active for a while... but I'm in a sort of dilemma right now, which involves "13 or 11 units".
So my electives right now are legal studies, economics and physics, and altogether, including SORI, 4U maths, adv. english, I've got 13 units.
I personally believe physics to be my worst subject (Not counting advanced english), and I was wondering whether I should drop it or keep it? My marks, aren't THAT bad, I guess, compared to most of the grade. What I'm afraid of, is if I stuff up 4U or one of my other electives, then if I have physics, I'll be able to fall back onto it. If i drop it, however, I'll have free periods which I can dedicate to my other subjects. Also, with physics being a moderately high scaling subject, the decision just got harder. So... I don't know.
Any ideas would be appreciated =)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I know this thread hasn't been active for a while... but I'm in a sort of dilemma right now, which involves "13 or 11 units".
So my electives right now are legal studies, economics and physics, and altogether, including SORI, 4U maths, adv. english, I've got 13 units.
I personally believe physics to be my worst subject (Not counting advanced english), and I was wondering whether I should drop it or keep it? My marks, aren't THAT bad, I guess, compared to most of the grade. What I'm afraid of, is if I stuff up 4U or one of my other electives, then if I have physics, I'll be able to fall back onto it. If i drop it, however, I'll have free periods which I can dedicate to my other subjects. Also, with physics being a moderately high scaling subject, the decision just got harder. So... I don't know.
Any ideas would be appreciated =)
Lol, no matter what anyone may say, you won't end up using those free periods for study. I mean, it can still be useful (ie. power napping) but yeah, you won't study.

xMrRand0m

HSC
Lol, no matter what anyone may say, you won't end up using those free periods for study. I mean, it can still be useful (ie. power napping) but yeah, you won't study.
Yeah, I guess, but it would be good to get 2 units load of work off your shoulders during exam periods or whatever. Like, instead of studying for physics, I could be focusing more time on 4 unit or something. I'm just worried about stuffing up a subject, like one of my teachers said, they could unexpectedly give out a full on different exam this year for say, legal studies or something, then I'll be able to rely on physics.

dp624

HSC
this is true.
i did only 10 units, had like 3/13th of my time free
didn't do jack all in that time, haha

but... the lack of work from the extra units is awesome. i say drop

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Yeah, I guess, but it would be good to get 2 units load of work off your shoulders during exam periods or whatever. Like, instead of studying for physics, I could be focusing more time on 4 unit or something. I'm just worried about stuffing up a subject, like one of my teachers said, they could unexpectedly give out a full on different exam this year for say, legal studies or something, then I'll be able to rely on physics.
No point relying on physics as a backup. It's better if you drop and just focus on doing well on all your subjects. I mean why prepare for stuffing up your other units when you can try and prevent stuffing up?

But yeah - even if you don't use the study period, being able to relax and not have to focus on more work will be highly beneficial, and knowing your work ethic in class - you'll prob end up doing homework.

So yeah - my advice: drop Physics and concentrate on your other units. This might actually get you working harder since you don't have anything else to rely on.

erm

HSC
I found that 11 units was a nice balance....13 is way too many

Babbu

HSC
Usual discussion... but we all are still not decided about which subjects to do.
I am curious to know from those who have completed their HSC... whether the extra units they had kept for safety purposes, were these actually used or not. Most people have 12 or at least 11 units.
How many of you had your extra two or one unit actually count towards your UAI?
How many can say that this extra subject (or even a single unit) saved their overall result.
Isn't it true that most people anyway end up having their favorite or best subjects count?

Babbu

HSC
So you had 11 units. But did this extra one unit count towards your uAI?

Babbu

HSC
Err, obviously not. Only your top 10 units count.
Oh well...that of course I know. What I meant was that say if we have our favorite 10 units we are most confident in and on top of that we have an extra unit or two units that we opted fro merely for saftely purpose, then do they end up being counted or not (based on previous HSCs)

xMrRand0m

HSC
Well thanks for the advice guys. I've made up my mind - Decided to drop physics. Save my 2 extra units for study; hopefully. Free myself from some stress and study which would probably not even count towards my UAI anyway.

KarenCn

HSC
heaps of people do the bare minimum 10 units and get incredibly high uais

i think last year around 30-40% of the 100s did 10 units, correct me if im wrong

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

i think last year around 30-40% of the 100s did 10 units, correct me if im wrong
Yeah, ideally I'd be doing 10 units, and so would xMrRand0m - but our school won't let us have less than 11 units - and since we both currently have 13 units - it's a choice between 13 or 11.

xMrRand0m

HSC
Yeah, ideally I'd be doing 10 units, and so would xMrRand0m - but our school won't let us have less than 11 units - and since we both currently have 13 units - it's a choice between 13 or 11.
Yeah. But unfortunately, the curriculum coordinator won't let us have 11 as well now, our marks are "too high" for us to drop that subject.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

That's not entirely accurate. Doing 10 units doesn't necessarily mean that you will do better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)