HSC
well at the moment i have total of 12 units with

4u maths
3u maths
english as second language
physics
business studies
senior science

however, even though its only the first week of the school, i alrdy find it hard to keep up with all my subjects because i get too much works from my maths and physics class. so i am trying to drop senior science because its the worst scaling subject that i got (and i find this subject pretty boring). the problem is, wen i discussed this with my head of house, he told me that it will be too risky to drop a subject now because it is only the first week of the school and that i may screw up in the other subject and then i will have no other subject to back it up. yeah, it is true that it is better to have more than 10 units but i am pretty confident to do well in the other subjects...

i am srsly not sure if i should drop senior science or not... please post me your suggestions & advices. thanks

by the way, my ranks for the assessments in term 4 last year are:

5 / 70 - 3u maths
3 / 9 - esl
7 / 43 - physics
3 / 11 - senior science

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

4u maths
3u maths
physics
business studies
senior science

however, even though its only the first week of the school, i alrdy find it hard to keep up with all my subjects because i get too much works from my maths and physics class. so i am trying to drop senior science because its the worst scaling subject that i got (and i find this subject pretty boring). the problem is, wen i discussed this with my head of house, he told me that it will be too risky to drop a subject now because it is only the first week of the school and that i may screw up in the other subject and then i will have no other subject to back it up. yeah, it is true that it is better to have more than 10 units but i am pretty confident to do well in the other subjects...

i am srsly not sure if i should drop senior science or not... please post me your suggestions & advices. thanks

5 / 70 - 3u maths
3 / 9 - esl
7 / 43 - physics
3 / 11 - senior science
I would drop. If having an extra 2 units is affecting the way you cope with the main 10 units - then I would highly advise dropping, because you need to do all you can to ensure you do not stuff up your top 10 units.

I posted this on another thread and I'll say it again, but do not retain an extra 2 units - just for the sake of backup. Only do the extra units if you enjoy the subject. It's better if you drop and just focus on doing well on all your subjects. I mean why prepare for stuffing up your other units when you can try and prevent stuffing up?

That's my opinion. Good luck and I hope you make the correct choice.

Schoey93

HSC
I would drop. If having an extra 2 units is affecting the way you cope with the main 10 units - then I would highly advise dropping, because you need to do all you can to ensure you do not stuff up your top 10 units.

I posted this on another thread and I'll say it again, but do not retain an extra 2 units - just for the sake of backup. Only do the extra units if you enjoy the subject. It's better if you drop and just focus on doing well on all your subjects. I mean why prepare for stuffing up your other units when you can try and prevent stuffing up?

That's my opinion. Good luck and I hope you make the correct choice.
Sorry but I'm sick to death of these types of the threads to the point that I am going to stop reading them from hereon in. Did the OP say he does esl english as well as 4-unit english? coooooooooockoooooooooooo!!

I don't know how many times us BoSers have to diplomatically state the evidently little-know "truths":

1. 12 units is for pussies
  2. 10 units is much better
  3. If you don't like a subject you should drop
  4. Free periods are more fun than math, chem and physics! Same can be said for free sessions and double english... bo-ring! So yes, a double free is much better.
  5. Just drop you wimp! Who cares. Honestly?
  6. If you're stupid enough to fuck up one of your exams you really shouldn't be doing the HSC at all as you can't manage stress effectively, are mentally retarded, Chinese (racist idk though), just dumb, etc.
  7. DROP THE FUCKING SUBJECT and GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT! :mad1:

Last edited:

truestar92

HSC
look 12 units is good if your having trouble with two of your subs and your not sure which one you'll do better in
but if your fairly confident in 10 units and your marks are reflecting that, it would be ideal to drop those extra units to give you more time to focus and study on your other 10!
(i have 12 units and i would have dropped if my mathamatics and extension english was stronger)
Don't make a rash decision and think it through carefully
by the way your senior science rank aint that bad
Good luck mate

esstown

HSC
Well look at it this way, your saying you can't keep up with the work? Then you probably have no choice but to do 10 units otherwise it WILL affect your other subjects.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Woahh man. Settle down. No offense but your in year 10 (from what I can gather) therefore you know SHIT ALL about the HSC and 'stress management'.

Sorry, I don't want to be a bitch, but some for some people the decision to drop a subject is a hard one, and he just wanted some advice.
No need to be so slack..

x
lol, he knows more about the HSC than i do, seriously.

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
If you are currently on 10 units and you aren't sure whether to do a 2 unit subject as backup or for enjoyment do you think you should not do it just to spend more time and effort on the 10 units? .....If you take up the 2 units is that just a waste of time and placing more pressure on yourself?

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
hmm well.

I'm thinking of doing 4 unit maths, english advanced, physics and chemistry for my HSC . So altogether that is 10 units and i am not sure whether to continue French next year- a subject i enjoy learning.

I'm not sure if I will be able to handle 4 unit maths so do you recommend that I continue French as a backup subject? Or should i not do it and spend the study time intended for French on maths extension 2 so i perform well in that.

thanks for your advice =)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
hmm well.

I'm thinking of doing 4 unit maths, english advanced, physics and chemistry for my HSC . So altogether that is 10 units and i am not sure whether to continue French next year- a subject i enjoy learning.

I'm not sure if I will be able to handle 4 unit maths so do you recommend that I continue French as a backup subject? Or should i not do it and spend the study time intended for French on maths extension 2 so i perform well in that.

thanks for your advice =)
i dropped physics for french and haven't looked back once.

french actually scales quite well and your french is tres bon.

i started year twelve with thirteen units because i couldn't choose between french and d&t because i loved both. i ended up dropping d&t because it was a massive waste of my time in which i could be doing much more productive stuff that would contribute to my uai.

my advice is to start with the twelve and then drop if you're confident about extension two. you'll know after the first term whether you can cope with it or not. how did you go in 3unit prelim?

ps. sorry i haven't continued with our french conversation, i'll get back onto that one =]].

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
hey hermand :)

well i've just started year 11 now so it's hard to tell what 3 units is like yet.

talk to you in French soon! :D

Last edited:

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
oh yeah. i forgot that we only started the year three days ago haha.

what course would you like to do?

ah okay, you can always take a bridging course if you do want to drop them? if you're better at french than you are at chem or physics, that could get you a better uai.

don't do four unit unless you really want to do it, for the subject, not for the scaling, because unless you're some maths genius, it's hard work and it will take up a lot of time to do homework and grasp the concepts entirely, and if you don't like it, your hsc year won't be fun at all. but if you like it, it's the most amazing subject ever =]]].

yes you will do =]]. i think i'll make up a new thread. just for the fun of it. =pp.

-tony-

HSC
i was stuck in the same sort of situation for all of last term as to whether to drop from 11 to 10 units but decided virtually b4 first day bak that i was gunna drop 3U english
im not finding it interesting, dont lyk a our genre and really find it a hassle as it take too much time from my other subjects coz we do the lesson in one sitting
now i just hav to get my paperwork done

witide

HSC
How are you going in 4U maths now? When we did our HSC, it was suggested that we do 12 units in case you don't perform well in 4U and need to drop down to 3U.

madsam

God among men
HSC
in response to the op, are you actually getting much homework from senior science?

odds are, you will do absolute minimal work during your free periods, so really, unless senior science is giving you homework that you need to do, then your just blaming it for no reason.

I do 12 units atm, including 4unit maths, and im keeping all my subjects incase i decide later to drop down to 3unit, the same applies to you, if you drop science now then you'll have to stay with 4unit and you cannot drop down later.

So choose carefully, i'd stick with it and just not do any homework unless you absolutely have to

Kujah

HSC
N/A
If you're excelling in all your subjects and believe that you'll be able to maintain that throughout the year, choose 10 units.

Schoey93

HSC
lol, he knows more about the HSC than i do, seriously.
LOL sarcasm? i don't think it is but anyhow that's probably false. And to che un altro persone (other person) ...don't tell me to call the fuck down Mr 10 or 12 units oooohhhh nooooooo I can't decide boo hoooo boo ho booohhhooooo:bomb:

10 units all the way IMO. Do the extra work at home, not at school, and learn to stop fucking up exams

Kujah

HSC
N/A
some schools enforce a policy of 12 units+ for its students.

jess.jess

HSC

4u maths
3u maths
physics
business studies
senior science

5 / 70 - 3u maths
3 / 9 - esl
7 / 43 - physics
3 / 11 - senior science
i thought that if you did senior science you cant do any other science ?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
LOL sarcasm? i don't think it is but anyhow that's probably false.

No im serious, perhaps not about stressing, i am queen of stress... but about the HSC system, scaling, pros/cons of certain subjects etc, most definitely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)