“Book Club”? (1 Viewer)

qwertywerido

HSC
does anyone have recommendations for books that are quick reads? i've been reading nonfiction lately and i want to read more fiction again (that isn't historical 💀)
OMG READ THE MURDERBOT DAIRIES BY MARTHA WELL. novellas high quality angst/kinda philosophy

MJRey

HSC
Anyone doing some good post-HSC reading, or reading a great book in general?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I finished 'How to Stop Time' by Matt Haig (the same guy who wrote 'The Midnight Library' aka one of my favourite books ever) in two days instead of reading my english advanced text, and it was so good, I recommend (+ also recommend Midnight Library omg)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
re-opening an old thread (even though it's dead), i finished the first book in the arc of a scythe series in a day (bought it at dymocks on the weekend). it was so good (those quoted reviews i saw on the cover called it some sort of perfect hunger games-style book but honestly it was 100x better than what hunger games was). i've got the pdf for the second book in the series, though i really want to purchase a physical copy. until then, i'm reading len deighton's ss-gb right now, and to hell and back by ian kershaw (also bought on the weekend).

Velli_Killi

HSC
re-opening an old thread (even though it's dead), i finished the first book in the arc of a scythe series in a day (bought it at dymocks on the weekend). it was so good (those quoted reviews i saw on the cover called it some sort of perfect hunger games-style book but honestly it was 100x better than what hunger games was). i've got the pdf for the second book in the series, though i really want to purchase a physical copy. until then, i'm reading len deighton's ss-gb right now, and to hell and back by ian kershaw (also bought on the weekend).
I've read it! I just thought it was the "scycthe" series lol. I find the relationship dynamics really interesting in the series and it gets so good (and emotional) as it gets on in the series which is a miracle because the first book was so good already.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I've read it! I just thought it was the "scycthe" series lol. I find the relationship dynamics really interesting in the series and it gets so good (and emotional) as it gets on in the series which is a miracle because the first book was so good already.
glad to know it doesn't turn out bad, very excited to read the next books

MJRey

HSC
At the moment I'm reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. He's a brilliant writer and I think the story is incredibly captivating albeit utterly tragic and depressing. My reading has been put somewhat put in hiatus because I've been trying to get myself organised for enrolment in uni, but I hope I can finish it before Semester 1 starts.

aulinia

HSC
Reading The Diary of Virginia Woolf and Michel Foucault’s Archaeology of Knowledge! :D

MJRey

HSC
i read never let me go by kazuo ishiguro, i'd suggest going into it blind (not reading blurb, etc. if you could)
That book is on my reading list. I watched the movie last month and thought it was amazing (it was also one of the few films that made me cry). So I won't go in blind per say, but I want to see how the book is compared to the movie.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
i read never let me go by kazuo ishiguro, i'd suggest going into it blind (not reading blurb, etc. if you could)
That book is on my reading list. I watched the movie last month and thought it was amazing (it was also one of the few films that made me cry). So I won't go in blind per say, but I want to see how the book is compared to the movie.
this book's also on my reading list! i'm reading artist of the floating world right now because it's prescribed for english, and it's really interesting so i wanted to see more of his works, will definitely try to go in blind (everything hits harder that way)

Anaya R

HSC
Finished reading Animal Farm by Orwell... definitely chilling (because of the parallels to Russia/other communist countries)
Also anyone know where to get manga that isn't pirated or costs an arm and a leg?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Finished reading Animal Farm by Orwell... definitely chilling (because of the parallels to Russia/other communist countries)
Also anyone know where to get manga that isn't pirated or costs an arm and a leg?
i reread animal farm while doing the ussr topic in modern history last term (it was pretty fun to point out which characters were meant to represent certain figures in russia around the revolution era).

as for manga, it's kinda cringe that the cheapest standard paperbacks are around $15 at both dymocks and kinokuniya (which sucks because it goes to show how expensive books are in general). but you could try hondarake in the cbd area (secondhand japanese bookstore). i've been there once ages ago but i remember the manga was pretty cheap (and a quick look at the online website shows a fair number of volumes being around $5)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
i finished ss-gb by len deighton, great detective mystery book, really interesting take on what if germany had defeated the uk from a different perspective. i'm going to start reading the second book of the scythe series and munich the edge of war.

also, has anyone read the ship of theseus book (the one with annotations inside, and letters and postcards telling another story)? if so, how do you read it for max experience? (i've read the entirety of the story itself, but i'm not so sure on how the annotations are meant to be read)

MJRey

HSC
I'd love to bring this thread back to life after a 6 month hiatus. I wanted to continue reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles, but I haven't picked it up again since the semester started, so I would technically have to start it again because I've lost the flow of the story. I don't think I'll be able to finish it before I go back to uni, so I'm putting it down for the time being.

I have thus started Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick today. I just read the first chapter and thought it was well-written and thought-provoking. Although I need to keep going, I would definitely recommend it and I think it's interesting to see the differences between the novel and Blade Runner, the film based on the novel.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
i read one of colleen hoover's books in one night and wanted to gauge my eyes out
0/10, wouldn't recommend. this woman wanted her readers to fall in love with a physically abusive doctor then just switched up bc some baker called atlas (wtf) was hotter

Akanikio

HSC
i read one of colleen hoover's books in one night and wanted to gauge my eyes out
0/10, wouldn't recommend. this woman wanted her readers to fall in love with a physically abusive doctor then just switched up bc some baker called atlas (wtf) was hotter
Honestly, I don't like Colleen Hoover because of her writing it's really childish and dumb but soo many people who are into YA like her it's rlly annoying

nsw..wollongong

HSC
Honestly, I don't like Colleen Hoover because of her writing it's really childish and dumb but soo many people who are into YA like her it's rlly annoying
fr if i wanted wattpad typa stuff i woulda used my phone, why am i paying for a paperback version that sounds like it was written by a child

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)