Your thoughts on the 2002 HSC (1 Viewer)

kaseita

hey hey, spicegirl has the right to be demeaning - she probably is going to get 100! :D

but seriously...I don't think anything snobbish or wrong's been said by anyone yet...weisy supports one point, spicegirl another. they represent different people...neither has really done anything yet.

Originally written by spice girl
Then, OK, what is HSC designed to measure?

DON'T say "dedication" and "devotion"...
she's just simply eliminating answers that aren't really valid, but that people raise anyway.

alright, maybe they're valid. If you think its wrong, then you support the process side of the HSC, whilst others support the resultant side

but if you disagree, just say so, and explain why....

peace and harmony :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
god some of u are sooooo insolent !!!
speak as though you're goin to get 30 uai bloody hell!!
ok you should feel unlucky if you are "less smart" (according to you)
but some people are born more intellectually capable and that's not exactly entirely their own fault !!
god grem you're so demeaning !!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
god some of u are sooooo insolent !!!
speak as though you're goin to get 30 uai bloody hell!!
ok you should feel unlucky if you are "less smart" (according to you)
but some people are born more intellectually capable and that's not exactly entirely their own fault !!
god grem you're so demeaning !!
Couldn't have said it better myself ...

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by Christine

if only everyone else saw it that way....
nah, if everyone else saw it that way it would be boring...;)

grem

what i want to say is that it's not very nice to refer to other people as "dumb people " , i know that you guys here are very smart ... when i mean snobbish i mean that people are speaking as though they are so much better than the rest of the people in the state .... sorry if i offended people and i know it's my fault for not making myself clear .... anyway just enjoy the holidays

grem

i react in such a way to people calling other people "dumb" because as a person from hong kong , i see so many hong kong and asian people judgin young people solely by their academic capabilities , i haev a friend who does not do that well at school and is constantly compared with a "smart" family friend..
my friend now feels "dumb" because his mum always demands a lot from him academically .... while that "smart" friend is the most boring person in the world
it's easy to overlook other qualiities of people ...a person's worth should not be reduced to ":smart" or "dumb" , personally i think the heart is more important , i don't give a shit about people who are smart but if they are evil and treat others badly then they are
fucked .... i am not saying that people on this board are like that
this is just a personal digression

spice girl

magic mirror
Well, sorry if I used the word "dumb", but I used it as a keyword to answer some question. Besides, I didn't make any judgement about any person in particular, and not even about "dumb" people in general. I was talking about the HSC.

Maybe I should use something like "intellectually-challenged"

Anyway, I come from hong kong too, so I know how you feel. Aunties, uncles, parents comparing children like merchandise. But 'heart' is harder to judge - there's a lot of people around who are so fake in their way of "treating people nicely".

And, hehe...eco study isn't what I call a holiday. :rolleyes:

kaseita

I'm now officially sick of eco study

but I keep finding stuff I don't know :(

aaaarrrgghhh - am glad of the 3hr opportunity to make up stuff :p

instinct

Since starting this thread, I have not had time to read the replies mainly because I been out and about since I finished my HSC almost 2 weeks ago.

Now that I think about the HSC and look over the papers in my own time at home, I don't think the exams were as 'easy' as I initally expected. The longer it gets since I did my last exam, the more dodgy it seems to feel. What I'd like to say is that my feelings is that BOS rushed the exams. It's like they did it in the last minute. This may sound really weird but that's what I think. For eg; for Area of study, all the focus questions were the same, just slightly modified for each focus... For IPT, all last questions fromthe option topics were the same.. Now, thats just two examples and I dont know whether BOS are doing this to make the exams general for all subjects, but I see it as laziness on the BOS behalf. It is easier for them to use the same questions for major parts of a particular exam whilst it is harder and takes more time to create different questions.. Know what Im saying? Its weird but I reckon it's true :D

Ozz^E: I agree with you. As long as the exams are within the syllabus, that is fine and no one can complain; however, the Business exam was not entirely within the exam. People I know who had tutors for business said that the 2nd last extended reponse question was not in the syllabus as there are no particular ER trends that relate to globalisation. Well, there's no point getting into detail, but I'm just saying that BOS should have taken more care this year.

luigi_000: I don't agree with you there. Exams are not supposed to be Hard one year and Easy the next. That's just one of the many myth's that surround the HSC. They should be CONSISTENT.

MinAi: I think only a small % of students are interested in their HSC marks. Really, no one really cares about their HSC mark. Its the UAI that is the key for most people, particularly for those wanting to goto UNI. And, so if the exams are easy and everyone is getting 90+ and obvisouly as everyone who got over 90+ for their exams cant all get a UAI of 90+, what would they do? Would UAC look further back on maybe the trials? It's going to be harder to get 90+ if a lot of people are getting 90+ for exams because they were supposedly easier this year.

hmmm: Hehe.. Yeah, I tend to find when after I have done an exam and I think it was really hard that I actually do well.

spice girl: That is so true what ya said about people finding UNI so much harder. That is why the HSC should be harder, and more extensive to not just display an indivual's academic ability (or whatever you may think it measures) but also prepare them for UNI 'cause the majority of students sitting the HSC are wanting to goto UNI.

Lazarus: I think the HSC defiantely measures academic ability. What else would it measure? Why would you study? You study because you learn stuff... academic stuff... education... all that jazz. It's definately measuring one's academic ability. Eg: Student A who has very good academic skills will do well in the HSC while the Student B who has no acdemic skills will suffer. This shows, Student A is better than Student B academically as he/she got higher in the HSC. It's a bad example, but ya know... Ofcourse the HSC will incorporate other elements. Possibly diversity and intelligence, but I think primarily its academic-based. Laz, I remember reading your resume and there was a quote on it regarding the way you intelluctually debate and argue and find it fun. Now matey, is that what you're trying to do here? LOL.

Well, i've goto drop into school to grab my reference.. argh, should I wear school uniform or not? Hmm..
My .02... Brad.

Anton

HSC
All this talk of intelligence has reminded me of a recent debate my friends and I had whilst in a cafe, drinking lattes and being wankers. The question was 'how do you quantify intelligence?' I mean, after all, intelligence is an abstract construct designed to represent a relative skill of intellectual capability. There is no such thing as intelligence, just as there is no such thing as reality (merely how we perceive things around us) and truth (which is just a verbal or textual representation of our perceptions of things around us). So how do you quantify intelligence?

Basically, this debate stemmed from some claims that some people were smarter than others.

So how do you people think you can quantify intelligence? Is someone with an ability at maths considered as intelligent, less intelligent, or more intelligent than someone who's adept at English or History? Are social skills a facet of intelligence?

I think it's an interesting debate, but hey, I could be the only one. I'd like to come to some sort of conclusion, but unfortunately I'd say that's impossible. Which is a shame really because it means I can't be an arrogant fuckhead and claim to be smarter than everyone else, hehe. :)

Rock on,
Anton

SaveFerris

The meaningfulness of the HSC is indeed a debatable topic, as shown in this thread, but I just have to ask whether anyone else found that in exams all they were basically doing was regurgitating information?

To give an example from SaveFerris' experiences (my God, is there anything more pretentious than speaking about yourself in the third person?)...yesterday I sat the Society & Culture exam, and while I found the content of the course surprisingly interesting, when it comes to writing an essay in 35 minutes I don't know about you guys but I could never in a million years write some groundbreaking sociological argument. So I relied on what was in our textbooks, and just rewrote facts from there to suit the question. Afterwards, amidst the joy at having finished my last exam, I also found myself feeling quite...empty? I dunno, I guess I just expected to feel more satisfied that, regardless of marks, I had completed the HSC.

Now I think about it, I suppose that supports the argument that the HSC really is no measure of academic ability, but naive little me still wants to believe that it's a big achievement to get through Year 12!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by instinct
MinAi: I think only a small % of students are interested in their HSC marks. Really, no one really cares about their HSC mark. Its the UAI that is the key for most people, particularly for those wanting to goto UNI. And, so if the exams are easy and everyone is getting 90+ and obvisouly as everyone who got over 90+ for their exams cant all get a UAI of 90+, what would they do? Would UAC look further back on maybe the trials? It's going to be harder to get 90+ if a lot of people are getting 90+ for exams because they were supposedly easier this year.
I realise that, yes, most people are solely interested in UAI
Im interested to know if ppl will actually NOT check their HSC results, rather, check their UAI when it comes out the next day...

And in regards to the 90+ idea...well people do different subjects, and honestly, getting 90 in a subject like, say, English Extension 1 is always gonna be better than getting 90 in a subject like IPT...so people getting 90 in subjects like 3U eng are more likely to end up with UAI's of high 90's, and ppl getting 90's in the "less intellectually stimulating/challenging" subjects such as IPT or CAFS or something, wont be getting as high as the former students...and thats where the difference lies...getting 90+ is one thing, but the subject u gain it in makes all the difference

Sarah

HSC
N/A
ok look yes u can say hsc measures academic ability but personally i feel it measures memory and communication skills i.e ability to memorise the info and communicate the relevant memoried info in the amount of time.

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
Originally posted by Sarah
ok look yes u can say hsc measures academic ability but personally i feel it measures memory and communication skills i.e ability to memorise the info and communicate the relevant memoried info in the amount of time.
Thats exactly right. who of you are expecting UAI of 90+ but only studies at 3-4 hrs at the most before the HSC examination? i dont think there are any ppl here! and if there are they are the ones that are smart not the ppl that studied 3+ hrs per day through out the year ( i call those ppl consistant studiers) and because you have the the ability to be focused doesnt mean youre smart.

btw how many of you made it into a selective school without going to a coaching college and without excessive study? my bro did and hes in syd boys. All he does is play comp and he made it! why? because hes smart.

All the HSC tests is the ability to revise and if you dont revise you better be smart. All you ppl are just pseudo smart ppl but behind closed doors you are studying your ass of and who can blame you? you have a right to succeed but dont go calling your self smart because you can revise.

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
i think you've made some gross generalisations routemarker
the hsc isn't about intelligence or about applying yourself in all cases. in general it does require a degree of academic capability but more importantly it's a matter of knowing what sort of outcomes you're meant to achieve and what markers are looking for.
i've seen people in my school who aren't considered "smart" that have been told what to do to get in the high brackets (eg. talk about techniques for english, include historiography in modern), once someone explained that to them suddenly their marks shot straight up
many of them expect to get 90+ as a UAI now
so much of the hsc comes down to having good teachers, knowing how to 'play the game', knowing what markers are looking for
being smart and studying are just other components

Jin-17

Originally posted by bex
I dont think the exams were easier than last year.. i think they were more challenging if anything... The essay questions were broader but they werent easier because it was hard to work out exactly what specific things to right on.. the rubric isnt really much of a guide either...
I agree with u on that. It was broader and meant it can help seprate the good with the bad and showing your understanding and not be a parrot about it. I think its wrong to have people say its easy or that was simple, beacuse one good reason u did not get your results back, so we should not judge it until than. If u thought it was easy than good for u, but personally I hate the business papaer and anyone other than that indian currie muncher, thought that was challenging.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)