Your thoughts on the 2002 HSC (2 Viewers)

instinct

Personally, I thought it was absolute bullshit. Board of studies have really fucked up in terms of making exams all too easy. How can they distinguish between the average and the good student? It's all bullshit. Too easy = Shit exams. Literally, you could get drunk or stoned the day before the exam, start studying the course after and you'll do fine. And, I am not just saying this about the exams I sat, but I've heard from many people who do other subjects that the exams are so easy. Lots of people I reckon perceive that as good, and that they will do good but in reality it's just going to make it harder, i.e. if everyone in a subject is getting over 90, then to get into band 6 one will need like 98 or 99. What bullshit!

What do you think?

Last edited:

Ozz^E

I thought they were alright. As long as there within the syllabus, i think there fine. Obv diff ppl will have diff grievances about certain quetsions. OSme want it harder, others easier and the board cant satisfy everyone. So as long as thier within subject syllabus, i think there fine. And distinction b/t students isnt hard, the marking will cater for that.

So yeh...It was AIGHT.

:cool: :D

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
i thought it was all right.. i dont really care im just glad its (almost) over.

kaseita

yea I think it was far too easy
its probably just the BOS responding to all the complaints last year that it was too hard, or harder than the specimen papers, and so they wanted this year to just satisfy and refine the syllabus, so that they can actually give stuff that's harder next year.
which ones have been hard?
the only ones I've heard that were hard are SDD and 2u maths

HSC
Originally posted by kaseita
yea I think it was far too easy
its probably just the BOS responding to all the complaints last year that it was too hard, or harder than the specimen papers, and so they wanted this year to just satisfy and refine the syllabus, so that they can actually give stuff that's harder next year.
which ones have been hard?
the only ones I've heard that were hard are SDD and 2u maths
Exactly

As much as I regret defending the BOS, they're in a lose-lose situation. If the exams are relatively hard then people complain, if the exams are relatively easy the people complain....

what the hell do you want?

I personally prefer easier exams over harder ones....

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
anyway aren't exams supposed to alternate?

hard one year , easy the next... etc ??

by the way, i've heard that ours is one of the dumbest years ever to go through (across the state), so maybe it is fitting to have easy papers...?

HSC
Originally posted by luigi_000
anyway aren't exams supposed to alternate?

hard one year , easy the next... etc ??

by the way, i've heard that ours is one of the dumbest years ever to go through (across the state), so maybe it is fitting to have easy papers...?
Where'd you hear we were the dumbest year?

Ely

i heard the opposite....that we are actually a smarter year than last year. We have a higher percentage of people doing advanced english and 2/3 unit maths.

As for the easy exams....apparently its because there is an election next year and they want to make out as though we are smarter because of an improved education system??? That could be all BS.....seems pretty logical though.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
erm, jus to comment on some comments

it doesnt matter if the exams are relatively easy, or if everyone can get over 90 (band 6) because, technically, everyone CAN get in band 6, if they meet the criteria for band 6
the BOS doesnt mark harder if everyone gets over 90...if a student achieves a band 6 performance, they get band 6
UAI however, is a different story, because obviously, not everyone can get over 90, and that is why UAC uses raw exam marks to calculate UAI's

and how can anyone know if we are dumber than previous, because unless im mistaken, 2002 HSC results havent been released yet....so there's no way to compare

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Some people have been making comparisons using the School Certificate results from two years ago.

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
Exausting...

Instead of coming home and playing the sony or watching TV or anything like that, id go to sleep...bugger going through that again.

Christine

beige member
HSC
i agree with luigi - i'm just glad its over and if my yr is anything to judge by- we are definately the dumbest so far!!

bex

HSC
I dont think the exams were easier than last year.. i think they were more challenging if anything... The essay questions were broader but they werent easier because it was hard to work out exactly what specific things to right on.. the rubric isnt really much of a guide either...

b-boy

Ur saying the hsc was too easy? are u some nerd?
i reckon it was habsolute bullshit, nah it wasnt any harder than yr11 just needed to study and do homework which i didnt even do and i suffer.
The HSC is not everything, even if u dont get in life does go on
and dont worry about wat ur parents think..

hmmm

you can't just assume that you've got into band 6 until you got ur results back. a lot of times you may find that you've aced the exams, but later found out that you didn't do as well as u thought u did. marking systems and school assessment marks and rankings also come into play. i'd say last years exams were not that much harder...and plus you need to keep in mind that no matter what there're still gonna be 'dumb' pplz out there across the state who seriously don't know anything. pplz in this forum are quite smart IMO..... =)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by hmmm
you can't just assume that you've got into band 6 until you got ur results back. a lot of times you may find that you've aced the exams, but later found out that you didn't do as well as u thought u did. marking systems and school assessment marks and rankings also come into play. i'd say last years exams were not that much harder...and plus you need to keep in mind that no matter what there're still gonna be 'dumb' pplz out there across the state who seriously don't know anything. pplz in this forum are quite smart IMO..... =)
yeah some ppl in this forum are quite freaky (BJ, McL, Spice etc)
so there are about 59 995 other ppl in the state...

and btw, only rankings come into play, not assessment marks

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Man, am I glad to hear that I freak people out... :rolleyes: *throws up hands in disgust*

This forum IS an integral part of my study.... answering questions is my forte and my method of revision, and I have four or so resources on hand to synthesise an answer if I don't know... I maintain that is why I sound freaky. :p

And don't forget the addition of people who leave after year 10, they use them to pad up the numbers... (another election tachnique :D).

Have your teachers, ever, to help you understand how marking criteria works, given you sample answers from last year's HSC and got you to mark them as if you were the markers?
Seriously, we had the hardest time trying to give a full 8 marks, especially after we pooled our minds and decided what info would be required to give 8 marks...
(For phys it was the holes and electron concept.)

spice girl

magic mirror
I reckon the BOS is trying to "make the system work for everyone". That's why the tests are so bloody easy. It will make it seem like the HSC system is actually working...

It's BS how the HSC has to make everyone happy, instead of doing their real job: separating from those who are good academically, from those who aren't.

I predict we'll have a hard time next year putting up with people who suddenly find Uni way harder, because they've been taught the wrong ways to think and learn at high school.

The HSC is an anticlimax...

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
Yeah we had to try to mark each others answers for sample questions, our teacher gave us the marking criteria and everything. Its harder then it looks, i never could manage it properly :confused:

Sarah

HSC
N/A
i had to do that for one of my classes and ended up marking harder than the teacher did

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)