Your Opinion On Chemistry ? (1 Viewer)

mimi2195

HSC
Hey guys :),
I am currently studying Chemistry as part of my 2012 Preliminary HSC Course. I have obtained many advice from past students who undertook Chemistry in their HSC exam and majority of feedback I received was that Chemistry is the hardest possible exam to achieve a satisfactory mark in. My school notified me that in the past years the highest Chemistry mark for the HSC exam at our school was only 77.
As I want to get into Law School, Im not completely assured that I should continue with Chemistry simply because my ATAR needs to be a 90+ ! Also, my tutor recently told me that Chemistry should be easy as long as Im putting in the time and effort to achieve decent results.
Any advice on Chemistry would help me out heaps ! Thanks in advance.
;)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Chemistry is actually a pretty easy subject if the concepts are explained/taught properly. Most of it was very logical (so not much memorising was needed) so it connected quite smoothly.

If you have a (good) tutor and put in the necessary work, you will most certainly acquire at least a Band 5.

I suggest you continue it, don't let the previous years scare you away, otherwise nobody would do it!

barbernator

HSC
you dont want general maths to count towards your atar now do you?

mimi2195

HSC
Chemistry is actually a pretty easy subject if the concepts are explained/taught properly. Most of it was very logical (so not much memorising was needed) so it connected quite smoothly.
I suggest you continue it, don't let the previous years scare you away, otherwise nobody would do it!
I will continue Chem because Id rather drop General but Im also trying to get as much help as i can with chemistry on account of my school not being able to thoroughly teach the course decently lol

madharris

HSC
N/A
I find chemistry a lot harder in year 11, IMO the hsc course is really easy, but I might be biased since I have worked a lot more in year 12 than year 11.

If you're willing to put in the work, chemistry will work in your favour, if not, it will significantly pull your atar down

Last edited:

madharris

HSC
N/A
I want to do an advanced science degree or a double degree in science and arts

(I don't know what in want to do with my life, so I'm keeping my options open)

madharris

HSC
N/A
Good luck with all of that :D !
Thanks, good luck deciding what you want to do next year to.

I think you should wait until your first assessments or half yearly until you drop a subject unless you're really struggling with the work load

mimi2195

HSC
Oh im not struggling with General at all! But I just see it as pointless because I can't really do much with it except waste my time trying to study for it haha >_<

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC

If you have a (good) tutor and put in the necessary work, you will most certainly acquire at least a Band 5.

1000% true.
if you learn the basics properly (even if it needs to be via a tutor) you can mould your understanding to solve any complex questions. make sure you keep asking questions until you know why everything does what it does (in terms of bondings/reactions/structures) and the subject is extremely easy since every question relies on the basics

SophxMusic

HSC
Personally, I hate chemistry! But I attribute it completely to the fact that our teacher is not very good, in terms of explaining concepts in a straighforward way. He also makes you seem like an idiot for asking questions, which is DEFINITELY not a good thing for a Prelim course >.<
I would get tutoring, except we are a small town and there are only really maths tutors around. Not to mention that all of the students doing chem end up leaving here for uni anyway... I generally handle all my subjects reasonably well, usually without trying (advanced english, extension english, advanced maths, extension maths, bio, physics) When I study I can do very well. With Chemistry, I studied for hours, and still struggled miserably with the half yearly.
I'm dropping at the end of year 11, simply because the course I want at uni doesn't require chem, and because i think I can manage well enough with my other subjects that I won't need the 2 unit fall back for the HSC.
Until then, I suffer x(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)