Your Opinion On "Back Up" Units (1 Viewer)

I am...

• Pro-"Back Up" units and a graduated student

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Pro-"Back Up" units and a Year 12 student

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Pro-"Back Up" units and a < Year 12 student

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Anti-"Back Up" units and a graduated student

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Anti-"Back Up" units and a Year 12 student

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Anti-"Back Up" units and a < Year 12 student

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters

tashe

HSC
N/A
I would like to see the statistics on everyone's opinion regarding the notable idea of "Back Up" units.

The poll has 6 options.

1. Pro-"Back Up" units and a graduated student

2. Pro-"Back Up" units and a Year 12 student

3. Pro-"Back Up" units and a < Year 12 student

4. Anti-"Back Up" units and a graduated student

5. Anti-"Back Up" units and a Year 12 student

6. Anti-"Back Up" units and a < Year 12 student

This way we can see if you support the idea of "Back Up" units (Pro) or are against the idea (Anti).

Guests are allowed to vote.

Votes are not public. Post below if you want your opinion known. Also post below if you think it depends on certain scenarios and what those scenarios are.

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I voted yes because my backup was more of a stress relief subject than anything.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I voted yes because my backup was more of a stress relief subject than anything.
Same for me, the only reason why I had chosen to keep Visual Arts was because it kept be sane throughout my last two years of high school.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I had 14 units in my HSC, I enjoyed them all. I didn't see any as "back-up" but I could envision that if I bombed out badly on one subject, I'd know at least I had at least 12 other units that would count - so it didn't really matter.

simplyinsanity

HSC
I think 'back-up' units are essential because no matter how confident you might be in your subjects, the final HSC exam has a 50% weighting. And if you just happen to have a bad day in that exam......

FireRunning

HSC
I definitely recommend having backup units for subjects like English Advanced. :wavey:

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Anti-"Back Up" units and a Year 12 student

seanieg89

HSC
Voted no, but its entirely individual. If you don't back yourself to perform well in your 10 best units then you haven't done enough preparation.

Reactions: Xt

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I've picked bad subjects (ie. Standard English, Senior Science) in my HSC since I didn't really give a crap about my studies back in Year 10 when I chose my electives. If I were to go back, my ATAR would have been hopefully different to what I've got.

If I were to screw up in my ATAR (≤69), my plan was to go to TAFE and then transfer to UTS or any other uni at that time. Expectations was different after I got my results back. :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I had 14 units in my HSC, I enjoyed them all. I didn't see any as "back-up" but I could envision that if I bombed out badly on one subject, I'd know at least I had at least 12 other units that would count - so it didn't really matter.
but couldn't that time spend on studying those extra 4 units be used to perfect the other 10?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
but couldn't that time spend on studying those extra 4 units be used to perfect the other 10?
Yes, but for my situation, I liked all my subjects so I didn't really want to leave any of them. In the general case, yes again - but it assumes that enough of the extra time will be used to do well for the other subjects, so there's some balancing act there - and that's why I think around 12 units is probably the best happy medium.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I have one unit back up (EE1) but I generally think having a back up is a good idea, unless you're confident with all 10 units. My school advocates strongly against having 10 units, as a lot of people pick up extensions and have majors and are more likely to drop, leaving them with <10 units (and thus are unable to get an ATAR).

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, but for my situation, I liked all my subjects so I didn't really want to leave any of them. In the general case, yes again - but it assumes that enough of the extra time will be used to do well for the other subjects, so there's some balancing act there - and that's why I think around 12 units is probably the best happy medium.
that sounds reasonable. I have to personally disagree. I did 10 units for the HSC (and catholic studies) and i found it less stressful despite doing 4U maths, physics and all that

hecticated

HSC
I have a few friends who dropped straight down to 10 units and they are really happy about it.
I'm still undecided but I think I will join the 10 unit group one day.

historia

HSC
I'm inherently quite a lazy person, so for me having more than one "back up" unit would probably result in me giving up on my weakest subject/s after the first assessments. So anti back up, but obviously that's just a personal thing.

iStudent

HSC
Yes to backup units, because what else would you do in your spare time? Come on, who honestly believes that they will spend all or most of the extra time doing productive work (no procrastinating) :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)