Your feelings towards internationals. (1 Viewer)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I agree that it can be quite hard to be friends with international students for a number of reasons. they can b cliquey, language barrier, cultural differences.

...I don't think you can really blame them for not wanting to assimilate entirely into Australia, because it's probably foreign and unfamiliar to them. a lot of them are here only for the semester then they go home for holidays where their family and close friends are.

for the most part I find if you are nice to them and especially if u speak chinese (to the chinese intls) they will be friendly. it's just like trying to talk to any other person, have to relate to them and find common ground.

decagon

HSC
Omnidragon said:
if you're going to base your decision on a few posts on one forum, then good luck to you because you'll need LOTS of it kid
Of course I am not that idiot to base my decisions on Internet forums. When I posted that, I was just expecting some positive responses assuring me that racism in Australia is not rampant.

Btw, I'm amazed to see the amount of slangs some people are using.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
slang is part of every culture. you shouldnt be surprised

BackCountrySnow

HSC
okok. so this thread has shown that internationals are not welcome in australian unis. If you're an international student reading this: dont come here, you will be harassed because of ur asianess and liek, its just not worth it. people will call you bad names. gook, slant, nip.
its just not worth it.

k /thread?

or liek, keep goingz.
coz you knoe.
i dont reli
ad <33

you're my e-crush.

e
carewhoooaaaa ho did that get ther

dolbinau

HSC
Well I get the impression it's more the truth than a stereotype, but I'll hold judgement until next year :)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
decagon said:
Of course I am not that idiot to base my decisions on Internet forums. When I posted that, I was just expecting some positive responses assuring me that racism in Australia is not rampant.

Btw, I'm amazed to see the amount of slangs some people are using.
ill tell you what. im asian (chinese, though local, but speak the chinese languages etc).

point is last night i was waiting for a tram outside a restaurant. 2 white guys (mid 40s 50s? in suits and stuff) also came out. they hopped onto a cab and offered me a ride to my house (which was really just a 40 min walk away, so a 5 min ride). i didnt know these people

i BET YOU $1000 you won't find gestures like this in india, china, hk, bangledesh, sri lanka pakistan (forgive my ignorance is it pakistan or palestine?) or whatever especially between two people of such different ethnic backgrounds. can you imagine a pakistani offering a ride to an indian in pakistan? come on, let's be honest.

and i prob have more international student friends... like really international ones... fully fobbed out honkies and chinese who hang out at azn clubs (and its a lot, trust me) than most international students because most are hermits who just study (esp ones from malaysia and indonesia).

edit: did i tell you the mayor of melbourne is chinese?

Last edited:

lionking1191

HSC
Omnidragon said:
ill tell you what. im asian (chinese, though local, but speak the chinese languages etc).

point is last night i was waiting for a tram outside a restaurant. 2 white guys (mid 40s 50s? in suits and stuff) also came out. they hopped onto a cab and offered me a ride to my house (which was really just a 40 min walk away, so a 5 min ride). i didnt know these people

i BET YOU $1000 you won't find gestures like this in india, china, hk, bangledesh, sri lanka pakistan (forgive my ignorance is it pakistan or palestine?) or whatever especially between two people of such different ethnic backgrounds. can you imagine a pakistani offering a ride to an indian in pakistan? come on, let's be honest.

and i prob have more international student friends... like really international ones... fully fobbed out honkies and chinese who hang out at azn clubs (and its a lot, trust me) than most international students because most are hermits who just study (esp ones from malaysia and indonesia).
wait, the point being?

and i think you'll find that culture and history will have a strong influence on collective behaviour

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
being that most aussies aren't racist

1) because im asian and my example demonstrates white ppl treat me nicely and that has been my experience all this time
2) our popularly elected lord mayor, and the longest-serving one in this city's history, is chinese and can't speak english like an aussie

so on the original topic, no im not dissing you because im being racist and i dont think anyone else is. i just think there're some fundamental learning issues you guys have... maybe its the language barrier i dunno. but dont lable me as racist when i try to answer the OP's question because im not and cant be (im chinese myself as said)

Scissors

HSC
yeah, aussies really aren't racist.

obviously, you'll encounter the odd stupid bogan who may give you a hard time, but who really gives a fuck?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Omnidragon said:

i BET YOU $1000 you won't find gestures like this in india, china, hk, bangledesh, sri lanka pakistan (forgive my ignorance is it pakistan or palestine?) or whatever especially between two people of such different ethnic backgrounds. can you imagine a pakistani offering a ride to an indian in pakistan? come on, let's be honest
That's dumb. Your dumb. What a stupid comparison to draw.

04er

HSC
ugh maybe because you're not at uni? hence you haven't been totally fucked over by their incompetence?

04er

HSC
lou071 said:
totally fucked over by their incompetence??
let's see... you have a 30% group assignment... you delegate the work among the group, some of which are internationals. You also have other huge assessments/exams due around the same time. You then realise that what the international(s) has written makes little (if any) sense. Their calculations are completely off. Their reasoning isn't reasoning. You're scared you will fail, because everyone in the group gets the same mark. You then try to ask them to rewrite it. Even after spoon-feeding them ideas, there is very little improvement. Even other assessments due, and thus very little time, you are forced to do the research on behalf of that international, and rewrite their whole section. So you end up spending at least twice as much time as you normally would have, and your other assessments will also suffer unless you do an all fucking nighter or two. This is what I like to call 'totally fucked over by their incompetence'.

With locals, the damage control required is much, MUCH less.

Luckily you usually aren't forced to work with internationals after the first year.

HSC
My feelings towards internationals so far have been on the comments they write on Facebook.

Not lookin' good.

decagon

HSC
BigPole said:
Oh piss off, seriously, piss the fuck off you dickhead. No matter where you fucking go you'll get racism, wether it be Australia, UK, America etc, grow the hell up seriously, if you can't handle a bit of racism then you seriously need to learn to because some people have to deal with it every fucking day. Seriously, no one cares about you, come if you want or study somewhere else, no one here gives a flying shit. If you CHOOSE to come to this country then you gotta accept us Aussies for how we are, don't like it, tough luck.

YOU piss off, you fucking bastard. Seriously, people like you are giving Australia a bad rep. I’m pretty sure many Aussies are great, friendly and not racist (as is proven by this thread), but motherfuckers like you are giving Australia a negative impression overseas. Grow up, you illiterate moron.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
decagon said:

YOU piss off, you fucking bastard. Seriously, people like you are giving Australia a bad rep. I’m pretty sure many Aussies are great, friendly and not racist (as is proven by this thread), but motherfuckers like you are giving Australia a negative impression overseas. Grow up, you illiterate moron.
Bangladeshi students have bad rep also:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,,24650896-2,00.html

Taxi driver jailed for raping woman

AAP

November 14, 2008 02:11pm

A TAXI driver who turned off his surveillance camera before raping an intoxicated woman in the back seat of his cab has been sentenced to at least eight years in jail.

Bangladeshi student Md Kowsar Ali picked up Jess Loiterton, then aged 18, in his cab early on November 4 last year.

She had been drinking with friends in inner Sydney before hailing a cab to take her home to the southern suburbs.

Ali pulled the taxi over and got into the back seat at Beverly Park in Sydney's south, sexually assaulting and then raping her, before wiping her down with a T-shirt.

Semen recovered during a medical examination returned a match with Ali's DNA.

In September, a New South Wales District Court jury found him guilty of two counts of indecent assault for sexual intercourse without consent.

In handing down his sentence today, Judge Peter Berman said it was clear Ali had taken advantage of a vulnerable woman who was obviously drunk.

"To take advantage of that situation as a taxi driver is a very serious matter indeed, requiring a substantial component of general deterrence," Mr Berman said.

Neither the defendant, nor her friends who put her in the cab should feel responsible for what happened. They were entitled to assume she would get home, he added.

"(The defendant) and her friends cannot be blamed for the predatory behaviour of the offender," he said.

Ms Loiterton, now aged 19, said she had only one message for Ali - "Have fun in jail".

"I always think about how my life would be, had I made it home," she said.

"I shouldn't have to live in fear that it will happen again."

Ali has been sentenced to a maximum of 10 years and eight months.

With time served he will be eligible for parole in November 2015.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Nebuchanezzar said:
That's dumb. Your dumb. What a stupid comparison to draw.
Ummm... yea ... you are. Thanks for reminding me kid
When are you getting a real job by the way?

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
04er said:
let's see... you have a 30% group assignment... you delegate the work among the group, some of which are internationals. You also have other huge assessments/exams due around the same time. You then realise that what the international(s) has written makes little (if any) sense. Their calculations are completely off. Their reasoning isn't reasoning. You're scared you will fail, because everyone in the group gets the same mark. You then try to ask them to rewrite it. Even after spoon-feeding them ideas, there is very little improvement. Even other assessments due, and thus very little time, you are forced to do the research on behalf of that international, and rewrite their whole section. So you end up spending at least twice as much time as you normally would have, and your other assessments will also suffer unless you do an all fucking nighter or two. This is what I like to call 'totally fucked over by their incompetence'.

With locals, the damage control required is much, MUCH less.

Luckily you usually aren't forced to work with internationals after the first year.
Yea having completed my degrees (get a real job, Ne whatever... too hard to spell), I can attest to that. Problem is it's not like they're slack - they actually work very hard on it, a lot harder than me. Maybe it's their culture of education (lack of freestyle thinking in Asia, east Asia anyway, not speaking for Indians etc which I don't know about) and language barrier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)