Your feelings towards internationals. (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Monstar said:
CHING CHONG CHING CHING CHONG CHING BING LONG LONG. No one can understand you, Nutting. Bet you that your name is just the sounds that are made when we chuck pots and pans down the stairs.
mate there wasnt any need for that. your aim was it to make fun of nutting or was it to make fun of all chinese people in general?

that doesnt really get your point across. attack his posts not the general chinese population. racism goes nowhere but breeds more hate.

DTFM

HSC
wrong_turn said:
mate there wasnt any need for that. your aim was it to make fun of nutting or was it to make fun of all chinese people in general?
Does it make any difference? They are all the same.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i would hope that you would know the difference between attacking the whole rather than the individual who is making the comments.

i very much dislike the ingorance and his sentiment towards other posters. but it doesnt mean that i start attacking everyone who is chinese if he is chinese.

its like me saying how all lebos go gang raping every friday night because they were bored. but i dont because that is racist and also hurtful towards that race. if you are too ignorant to see this, i suggest you become more knowledgable towards these prejudices before saying anything.

therefore THEY are not all the same.

04er

HSC
I have had really bad experience with internationals in group work. Sure, they can be prompt and diligent, but almost all of their work has to be redone, reorganised and reworded by non-internationals. To make it worse, when you try to explain something technical to them, they clearly don't comprehend. Unfortunately I don't understand 50%+ of what they're saying either.

I really think uni's should start setting the bar higher in terms of English speaking and writing abilities for international students.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I am one sixteenth Chinese, a quarter Welsh, an eighth Scottish, and 100% Australian.

(Don't rip on me for my patriotism; I actually really like Australia)

natccc

HSC
im asian but im local..
does that count guys?

lol

Monstar

HSC
wrong_turn said:

that doesnt really get your point across. attack his posts not the general chinese population. racism goes nowhere but breeds more hate.

successful troll is sucessful.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Monstar said:
successful troll is sucessful.
if you think being success as a troll is glory, i wouldnt want to expect too much else of you outside of this forum

sarah.ireland

HSC
nutting said:
iamsickofyear12 said:
No, I don't gain from it because it is only rigged to help them, not me.

quote]

So an Aussie Uni rigged it to help Asian students but not you. Sounds like PARANOIA or is it that you couldn't beat them so you slag them ?
BTW this thread seems to have brought out racism from australians who are jealous of often very hard working international students many of whom have the extra pressure of family expectations and honour, as well as perhaps needing to help provide for family

the only way to "get over" all this 'injustice' that you feel is happening, is to do CREDIBLE research, not just respout 'what everybody thinks' about internationals and also to focus on your own work and achievements not comparing them to others

get a real and a right opinion

Bendent

HSC
^ agreed

most of them have to live independently , have full time job and full time study.

Last edited:

billbro

HSC
N/A
How about I offer you another side of these "hard working international students".

Let's see four member team for an accounting assessment with 4 questions. I did drafts for all questions, I did the finalised versions of question 2, 3, intro, conclusion, executive summary, appendices. While I concede this was due to my own poor time management, I stayed up till 5am on Sunday, slept for a couple of hours then didn't sleep at all Monday night. Meanwhile, the two international students were blissfully asleep, although one of them decided to show up at 3am and said something akin to "My PC broke, you finished the assessment?"

My friends doing the same assessment, had an international student who said his phone "broke" and then that "he left it at his friend's house". He apologised for finally contacting them on the day before it was due and begged them to give him a good evaluation and he would take them out to dinner.

There isn't really a way to do "real" research into the matter, apart from first hand experience. Mine has always been quite laughable, oh and what probably puts icing on the cake for this assessment is that for the peer evaluation they both wrote that I did most of the work - no shit when I did basically all of it. The only slight balance here is that the other local student didn't do too much either.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
sarah.ireland said:
BTW this thread seems to have brought out racism from australians who are jealous of often very hard working international students many of whom have the extra pressure of family expectations and honour, as well as perhaps needing to help provide for family

the only way to "get over" all this 'injustice' that you feel is happening, is to do CREDIBLE research, not just respout 'what everybody thinks' about internationals and also to focus on your own work and achievements not comparing them to others

get a real and a right opinion
I have had a lot of experience in groups with international students... 4 years of it in fact. So don't tell me I need to do some research.

I have had to completely redo the work of international students in my group on numerous occasions because it either didn't make any sense or missed critical points.

On occasions where I have not redone the work of international students my marks have been at least 15% lower than they would otherwise be. On one occasion I was doing a group assignment with 3 international students and for 2 of the 3 sections we were marked individually. In the sections we were marked individually my marks were 25% higher than theirs. My marks in the individually marked sections were 20% higher than the mark for the group section.

I have done 85% of the work for a 4 person assignment because 3 international students I was with had no idea.

I have sat through hours and hours of presentations by international students that are not understandable at all. I have been in groups with international students that I couldn't understand a single word of.

I have seen the quality of work displayed by international students. In almost all cases an Australian student offering the same quality of work would fail. I am not completely unreasonable. I am more than willing to make exceptions because of the language difference. Unfortunately, only 1 international student I have met in my 4 years at uni falls within what I would consider to be acceptable limits.

I can't just focus on my own work because international students are involved in it. In tutorials listening to presentations from other students is part of the course and required for learning. That is impossible when you can't understand what is being said... not to mention I am constantly having to work with them in groups. INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS FUCK UP MY MARKS, PREVENT ME FROM LEARNING AND DEVALUE MY DEGREE, I AM NOT JUST GOING TO IGNORE THAT YOU FUCKING MORON.

billbro

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS FUCK UP MY MARKS, PREVENT ME FROM LEARNING AND DEVALUE MY DEGREE
Agree with the first, don't necessarily agree with the second - they just pose as a hindrance, not sure how much you actually devalue an Australian degree.

EdmondDW

HSC
Stop the racial discrimination, have u seen this year's Noble Prize holders...
For physics, all of them are Japanese; For chemistry, one Chinese, one Japanese, one American white...Japanese...Chinese...eastern asians...
On the other hand, if u r excellent enough, no matter asian or white, who will look down u? the only thing left is envy~:ninja:

GolfPunk

HSC
EdmondDW said:
Stop the racial discrimination, have u seen this year's Noble Prize holders...
For physics, all of them are Japanese; For chemistry, one Chinese, one Japanese, one American white...Japanese...Chinese...eastern asians...
On the other hand, if u r excellent enough, no matter asian or white, who will look down u? the only thing left is envy~:ninja:
where did they get their degrees from though?

cyncyn2007

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I have had a lot of experience in groups with international students... 4 years of it in fact. So don't tell me I need to do some research.

I have had to completely redo the work of international students in my group on numerous occasions because it either didn't make any sense or missed critical points.

On occasions where I have not redone the work of international students my marks have been at least 15% lower than they would otherwise be. On one occasion I was doing a group assignment with 3 international students and for 2 of the 3 sections we were marked individually. In the sections we were marked individually my marks were 25% higher than theirs. My marks in the individually marked sections were 20% higher than the mark for the group section.

I have done 85% of the work for a 4 person assignment because 3 international students I was with had no idea.

I have sat through hours and hours of presentations by international students that are not understandable at all. I have been in groups with international students that I couldn't understand a single word of.

I have seen the quality of work displayed by international students. In almost all cases an Australian student offering the same quality of work would fail. I am not completely unreasonable. I am more than willing to make exceptions because of the language difference. Unfortunately, only 1 international student I have met in my 4 years at uni falls within what I would consider to be acceptable limits.

I can't just focus on my own work because international students are involved in it. In tutorials listening to presentations from other students is part of the course and required for learning. That is impossible when you can't understand what is being said... not to mention I am constantly having to work with them in groups. INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS FUCK UP MY MARKS, PREVENT ME FROM LEARNING AND DEVALUE MY DEGREE, I AM NOT JUST GOING TO IGNORE THAT YOU FUCKING MORON.

Maybe you just have bad luck. In fact, most of the international students that I met at uni are really smart, and hard working. But I do know where you're coming from. Or maybe your expectations are too high. It really depends on what your expected marks are. If you're thinking of getting HDs and Ds, not everyone can attain that level, whether they're asian or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)