Your favourite book! (1 Viewer)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by mayhemily
my goodness! hello, all enid fans!!

aah what can i say, half the storage in our house is filled with blyton books!! it must have been all i read the first ten years of my life! hmmm.

The best ever was the faraway tree and the famous five. And noddy!

I still want a secret tunnel under my house to a secret island where smugglers have been hoarding gold ingots... *sigh
The secret seven's weren't too bad either. They were enid's weren't they?

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Originally posted by Will_Sparky
I really hate to say this... Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire :)
i think i might have to agree :p
(ok, i love ALL the hp books :p)

Nearlyfinished!

Lacroix, Sweetie!
HSC
My fave book is Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Read it!! It's a beautiful, ugly, sad, realistic fantasy (could go on but would sound like a wanker!). One of those books you are sad about when it ends because you want it to go forever, even tho the ending (and in fact the whole story) is thoroughly satisfying.

Cresty

Fantasy: The Rhapsody Trilogy by Elizabeth Haydon, or anything by Sara Douglas

Other: Hitchhikers'

Reallife: I Don't Mean To Be Rude, But... - Simon Cowell ;-)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Finished the book now, Stephen Baxter - Time

Bloody awesome, a great piece of sci-fi. Alas, it hasn't taken the place of Foundation yet.

clerisy

HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
The secret seven's weren't too bad either. They were enid's weren't they?

Oh, I loved the secret seven..... I tried to start up my own at one point, but I couldn't get seven people up and it was just me and my sister. Also, there were no mysteries to solve. Life never measures up to Enid Blyton. Question: Why is it that the good ol' secret seven were so overshadowed by the Famous Five?

snowfaay

so the book that got me hooked on reading was tomorrow when the war began, by john marsden. read it in like two days and then by the end of the week id finished the first four which, at the time, was all there was. eagerly awaited the realease of all the rest of them and have read i think every other john marsden work as well. that was ages ago though, when i was like 9 or 10. the second book that made me love reading was the bridge to terabithia. forget who its by, but a truly beautiful book. funnily enough, my dad gave them both to me on the same christmas holiday...

rubylotus11

Well I loved the Chronicles of Narnia and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I also enjoyed all of the Harry Potter books. I thought Stupid White Men was brilliant and also loved Wild Swans. The Hours was also a good book, and I agree 100% with Clerisy that Colin Firth matches perfectly with my own image of Darcy in Pride and Prejudice (which is also an awesome novel).
I have so many things that I want to read still.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
omg that is so weird. when i read the title to the thread i immediately thought of the first book i ever fell in love with and low and behold, enid blyton's tha magic faraway tree. similarly i had to have been about 8 when i read it? i was so PROUD that i'd finished a 'big' book. i loved it! but now that im, older, i absolutely LOVE harry potter! i long for the days when the next books are released.

djmattyd

HSC
'Alice's Adventures In Wonderland' and 'Through The Looking Glass (And What Alice Found There' by Lewis Carroll. By far, my favourite books of all time. I have read them over, and over again, and even at age 17 am still not sick of it. I used it for an english assignment last year actually. That would be, above all, my favourite book of all time.

I loved Francis Hodgson Burnett's 'The Secret Garden', Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol' and 'Great Expectations', Tim Winton's 'Cloudstreet' and Thomas Harris' 'The Silence of the Lambs' as well.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
aww. its really hard to say that too...
Charlottes Web by E.B. White is sooo excellent
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind and out of them, probably Wizards First Rule (the first book) or Faith of the Fallen (the sixth)

lara_austin

HSC
"Les Liasons Dangereuses" by De laclos. The classics are always the best, the modern adaption (Dangerous liasons, as in the book that spawned Cruel intentions), never really had the same bite as the original.

The charm we think we find in others exists only in ourselves, and it is love alone that confers beauty on the beloved.
De Laclos. Les Liasons Dangereuses

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
My favourite book varies. Right now it's possibly the Basic Eight by Daniel Handler. Fuck oath it's good.

Edit: as for the book that made me love reading, I honestly don't remember. I don't think I have a particular book, I've always just loved reading. Apparently I learnt to read at three, though I don't remember.

Last edited:

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
I think The Hobbit would have to be my all time favourite. Read that so many times as a kid, and still occaisonally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)