Your favourite book! (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Seeing listing my definitive favourite books (As seen through my hesitatnt attempts above) is too difficult, I'll list some of my favourite short stories/novellas.

Joseph Conrad-Heart Of Darkness I read this in a single sitting, compelled by the plot, prose and ideas raised throughout. The critique of imperialism in this text is clever and quite subtle, considering the context. It is apparent from the beginning of the text, even in aspects such as Marlowe remembering his idolisation of Francis Drake and John Franklin, seeing that Drake was virtually a pirate and Franklin eventually resorted to cannibalism. This is heightened by the use of abstract, surreal imagery, such as the French ship 'firing into a continent', and generally, the text's endurance is supported in this sense, as the issues raised remain relevant today.

The surrealism of the text is also emphasised through the structure, the story being an account [An unnamed seaman] of an account [Marlowe], the lengthy passages of his mediations upon the events demonstrating the extent to which he has been transformed by his experience. The closing passage is quite beautiful as well.

Additionally, it's interesting reading Heart Of Darkness and then comparing it to 'The Congo Diary', published in the Penguin Modern Classics edition of HoD. The Congo Diary is a huge contrast, written in terse prose, merely describing the events and details of each day, as opposed to the vivid language of Heart Of Darkness. I recommend both.

Franz Kafka-The Burrow. One of his later works, this story has been seen as the inverse of The Castle. [In the sense that The Castle deals with an outsider coming into a sealed environment, while in this case, the story concerns a protagonist trying to keep away outsiders.)

Simply, the plot depicts an unidentified creature lurking within the confines of his burrow, planning its defences against unseen intruders. What makes it great however, is how these concerns are reflected through the textual structure and language itself, which comes across as utterly claustrophobic and paranoid, never moving out of the creature's thought-processes within the burrow, constantly referring to those beings who may possibly break through the walls;

But you do not know me if you think I am afraid, or that I built my burrow simply out of fear. At a distance of some thousand paces from this hole lies, covered by a movable layer of moss, the real entrance to the burrow, it is secured as safely as anything in this world can be secured; yet someone could step on the moss or break through it, and then my burrow would lie open, and anybody who liked-please note however, that quite uncommon abilities would also be required- could make his way in and destroy everything for good. I know that very well, and even now, at the zenith of my life, I can scarcely pass an hour in complete tranquility; at that one point in the dark moss I am vulnerable, and in my dreams I often see a greedy muzzle sniffing around it persistently [Complete Short Stories, p.325.]

Even the ending is ambigious, although I won't spoil it here. [Among my other favourite Kafka stories are The Metamorphosis, In The Penal Colony, The Great Wall Of China and A Hunger Artists.]

Anton Chekhov-A Dreary Story. A rather depressing tome, in the best tradition, focusing upon the decline of an aging university professor. Like other Chekhov texts, the progression is one of natural processes, realism [In this sense, Chekhov's short stories are also very innovative, instead of depending on unlikely events and contrivances..] made compelling through the use of language and greater relevance. This is more aptly demonstrated through quoting the text itself;

Sleeplessness and the strain of combating increasing weakness leads to something strange in me. In the middle of my lecture tears suddenly rise in my throat, my eyes begin to smart, and I feel a passionate, hysterical desire to stretch out my hands before me and break into loud lamentation. I want to cry out in a loud voice that I, a famous man, have been sentenced by fate to the death penalty, that within six months another man will be in control here in the lecture theatre. I want to shriek that I am poisoned; new ideas such as I have not known before have poisoned the last days of my life, and are still stinging my brain like mosquitoes. And at that moment, my position seems to me so awful that I want all my listeners to be horrified, to leap up from their seats and to rush in panic, in terror, with desperate screams, to the exit.
It is not easy to get through such moments.
[Chekhov Omnibus, p.95.]

However, it is not unremittingly depressive, also possessing some moments of subtle humour, and even an uplifting message. This message is an imperative that remains memorable to me; Indifference is the paralysis of the soul. It is premature death, namely that we must attempt fundamentally to care.

James Joyce-The Dead. I only finished reading this story yesterday, and it's already among the ranks of my favourite stories. Functioning not only as an independent work, but as the conclusion of Dubliners, the 'plot' almost resembles Chekhov in that it, like the other works in Dubliners is realist; little happens, in the conventional sense, but the dramatic catharsis and implications are enormous.

Essentially, this text relates a short period in the life of Gabriel Conroy, before depicting his epiphany as to the love of his wife towards another in the past. (Saying more would be spoiling it.) In this limited scope however, the meaning extends not only to the entirety of Ireland (As seen in the last paragraph. not printed here. ;) ), but to human existence itself.

The prose in which this is related is beautiful, especially in the final passages.. The passage which follows however, is not part of the story's conclusion. Nevertheless, it is excellent.

A wave of yet more tender joy escaped from his heart and went coursing in warm flood along his arteries. Like the tender fire of stars moments of their life together, that no one knew or ever would know of, broke upon and illumined his memory. He longed to recall to her those moments, to make her forget the years of their dull existence together and remember only their moments of ecstasy. For the years, he felt, had not quenched his soul or hers. Their children, his writing, her houehold cares had not quenched all their souls' tender fire. In one letter that he had written to her then he had said:
Why is it that words like theses seem to me so dull and cold? Is it because there is no word tender enough to be your name?' L
Like distant music these words that he had written years before were borne towards him from the past. He longed to be alone with her. When the others had gone away, when he and she were in the room in the hotel, then they would be alone together.
[The Essential James Joyce, p.167]

Simply, I recommend all four of these texts thoroughly. All are well worth reading, and pondering.

Last edited:

lazybum

HSC
N/A
I am an avid fan of Bryce Courtney. He's been mentioned before, which only attests to his greatness as an author so get out their and read his books!
I'll give a summary of some of his books i've read ( all of them practically!)

The potato factory - convict Australia . Some cool characters ie Ikey Solomon, probs a resurrection of Oliver's Faigen. It continues in a whole trilogy continuing the story of Mary (another convicts) children = Solomon's Song, and Tommo and Hawk . Great read when its raining!

The Power of One + Tandia - Little white English boy in SA is discriminated against by Dutch Afrikans. Grows up to fight for equality. Becomes world reknowned boxer. In the second book he falls in love with Tandia, a black African. Beautiful romance. Story of perserverance, love, belief in equality. Also particularly brutal showing white ethnocentrism.

April Fool's Day - beautiful but heartrendering peronal story of Courtney's loss of a son, Damon. Makes you think life is a treasure never to give up!

Four Fires - Australian bush. Very Aussie, about bushfires in Australia and how a boy grows up in the country. during war.

Jessica - great book but so sad i couldn't finish it! About Aussie tomboy in the 19th cent whose mother only cares for her refined elder sister. so sad to see the hatred of the mother. Poor Jessica !

Family Frying Pan - fantastical stories - i thought of Greek mythical tales when i read this. great when you feel like using your imagination.

Smoky Joe's Cafe - great book but a touch boring, about vietnam war veterans and how they deal with their sorrow.

i'm sure i've read more but right now i can't think of them. my short comments don't give this author justice so go on read the books!

i've been reading John Grisham and sorry to disappoint - i don't think his books are that fascinating, quite predictable actually!

Another great author - those who want a bit of thrill and romance, is Fay Kellerman. She does a series with rina and Peter Decker . Some of the ones i've read are Ritual Bath, Justice, Sancturary, and a few more i've forgotten.

Thomas Keneally's Shlindlers Ark - on which Shindler's List is based is really good.

anybody feel like writing to me and suggesting more books plz feel free to do so

ilovemrchips

i'll damn the critics and just jot down some favourites

tandia - good read plus i'm biased as i was in love with peekay
harry potter and prisoner of azkaban - GREAT read plus i was in love with professor lupin
the princess bride - it's a richer and funnier version of the brilliant movie
oh the places you'll go - dr seuss. need i say more?

Hottieflossy

i absolutely love the Harry Potter series and book 3 is my favourite one. but my favourite book ever is The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende...i've read it in english, spanish and italian cuz its so good.

clerisy

HSC
Originally posted by eveajac

The first book i read that got me hooked was Enid Blyton's The Magic Faraway Tree - from which i progressed to the wishing chair, amelia jane, secret seven, famous five etc (that was kind of my first childhood reading stage - about age seven/eight!)

I was (am) an Enid Blyton fanatic too... the first book I ever read was Amelia Jane. I adored her boarding school books too-- the Malory Towers books and St Clares books were the best! I used to buy most of my Enid Blyton books from Coles for $1.95, Now (except for the very limited selection theyve been selling recently for $5) theyre peddling them for upwards of $10... isn't it depressing?

Originally posted by Toodulu
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
simple, sad, cute and very effective.
Aah! Finally someone else whose read the Little Prince! That is one of my favourite books in the world, and had an absolutely enormous impact on my life...

I have so many favourite books its hard to decide... in addition to Blyton and Saint-Exupery I love:

-- Vanity Fair, by WM Thackeray (very few writers can portray people as truthfully and bluntly as Thackeray can. And, to expose my shallow side, the character of Rawdon Crawley's a stud no matter how much an idiot he might be. )

-- Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte (another stud-- Heathcliff)

-- Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen (another stud-- Darcy. I fell in love with Darcy long before I saw the tv series, and I have to say, Colin Firth is about the character Ive seen from a movie based on a book who EXACTLY matches up with my impression of the book character. Yummy.)

-- The Mill on the Floss, George Eliot

-- Chronicles of Narnia, CS Lewis

-- Siddhartha, Hermann Hesse

Saul

*ss
HSC
such a hard decision... i must say that i don't like the harry potter series that much. they're a good read, but horrendously overrated

favourites:

the little prince
perfume: patrick suskind
alice in wonderland : lewis caroll
the plague: camus
of mice and men

is a roflcopter
HSC
i really liked enid blyton
famous five were the best :D

Saul

*ss
HSC
allegory? what allegory?

must have been realli subtle...

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Saul
allegory? what allegory?

must have been realli subtle...
The plot of The Plague also functions as an allegory of the Nazi occupation of France during the Second World War..Really..

Kos

I really liked House of the Dead and the Brothers Karazmov by Dostoyevsky. But my all time fav would be Catcher in the Rye, no matter how many times I read it, it doesnt get old. I dont know if you would call it a book, more like a 300 page poem, but Paradise Lost by John Milton was great.

Best non-fiction would have to be Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Originally posted by Saul
such a hard decision... i must say that i don't like the harry potter series that much. they're a good read, but horrendously overrated

ah ha. Right you are.

However, I must say people don't read all that many fantasy/sci fi books. Some can be quite good, and i mean good in the literary sense (ie improve vocab etc) and are usually much more interesting than, say, Dickens.

Heheh, I must admit, though, the bulk of fantasy falls into a dreary, repetitive CRAP hole. But as i said, SOME fantasy books are well worth reading.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
It's so hard to name only a few of my all time favourites, BUT:

The Princess Series (not sure who it's by - it's about the Muslim girls)

All of Virginia Andrews novels

White Oleander - Janet Fitch

Bridget Jones' Diary - Helen Fielding

mayhemily

HSC
my goodness! hello, all enid fans!!

aah what can i say, half the storage in our house is filled with blyton books!! it must have been all i read the first ten years of my life! hmmm.

The best ever was the faraway tree and the famous five. And noddy!

I still want a secret tunnel under my house to a secret island where smugglers have been hoarding gold ingots... *sigh

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
Lord of the Rings
Jackal's Dance - Beverly Harper
Anything by Matthew Reilly
The Ancient Future series - Traci Harding

So many more I could mention!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)