Young Achievement Australia (1 Viewer)

kow_dude

HSC
Has anyone done this before? What are your experiences?

Thanks =]

P.S. I know this thread has already been created in yr 11 forums, but am hoping more responses from uni students. Though, all comments welcome.

Last edited:
HSC
uh depends on who you ask, and it depends on who youre involved with. on one hand you can get a lot out of it and have a lot of fun with it, on the other hand you could despise it. my group was very small, and very lazy, and very unproductive in general...so i hated it with a passion.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
As mentioned above, it really depends on your group. There will always be people there who are only doing it for the cert and do the minimal contribution and pretty much, achieve nothing. Even though there's rumours that people can "get the sack", I've never seen or heard it actually happen. That being said, it does teach you a lot about the real world of business- yes there are lazy people who do nothing and you can't get rid of, but there are also some amazing people out there who whilst appear absolutely normal, or even lacking in areas (eg. not too smart), you'll realise that when they put in all their effort and hard work- you'll appreciate them a whole lot more.

In terms of the actual practical experience, YAA is quite good because it does force you to do things in the real world. Sure it isn't exactly realistic for a few factors, but it's as close as you'll get without taking on a whole lot more risk, effort and worry for a year11 student. If you put in a lot of effort, you may not realise it but you'll learn a lot- may not be tangible or even recognised, but wait until you have a job interview and have to explain what you actually did and how it can be applied to other environments. Also wanted to add that even if you don't get a position in the group/team you wish to have a career in (eg. Accounting/Finance), don't worry too much because in the end, people always help each other's division out (unless your team is small and crap).

Anyhow in conclusion, if you have an interest in running a small biz and want to try a 'much more realistic' experience, I highly recommend it. After all, at 2 hours or so a week, with the ocassional trade fair or overtime, you don't really have much to lose besides a small fraction of your time, but what you stand to gain, is priceless.

kow_dude

HSC
What usually happens during the two hour meeting every week?

kow_dude

HSC
I'm already registered with the one located at North Sydney. The only problem i have with this is that its weekly meeting time clashes with one of my tutorials. The other one sponsored by another company is located at macquarie park which is a bitch to travel to... (i've received an email today that they're accepting registrations... so those interested might wanna register to that one)

HSC
kow_dude said:
What usually happens during the two hour meeting every week?
Anything related to your business. You may spend the first few weeks working towards raising your capital (selling shares) and developing your product idea, perhaps deciding who gets what positions in the company. Then you will just go from there? You will work towards advertising your product, doing what you have to do to sell it, getting materials for it, etc...work towards the trade fair or maybe target your schools or something? I'm not exactly sure, it all depends on how your company is going i guess..that could all vary

kow_dude

HSC
Bump.

Some people have withdrawn and we currently have 16 people. Our sponsor is accepting people to join our forces :)

HSC
pft you can continue with less than that. i know plenty of groups who had much less and still broke even. ours was one of them (but only just).

kow_dude

HSC
What did you guys sell?

My company has finalised our product today, and the verdict was.....

INFLATABLE PILLOWS !!!

LoL

burgomcsock

HSC
I did Young Acheivement Australia and it was a mixed experience. We did well winning two awards in our region (best product and best community value) and increasing the value of our shares from $2 each to $4.40 which meant that I personally earned about $80.

On the other hand I was one of the only people in the entire group of 16 who did anything. I thought up the product, I did all the work creating it, hell I even sold the most and that wasn't even my job. (We were making a tourism CDROM if anyone was wondering).

I'd do it again but not with a bunch of pretentious slacker drama students thats for sure.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
YAA was a pain in my ass. Nothing got done, I was assigned a job I knew shit about and had no interest in and majority of my team were a bunch of dropkicks. I quit last week, and have no regrets.

kow_dude

HSC
Awww... what company were you from Jachie? Tertiary/Secondary? And what product were you going to sell?

Things are going "ok" at the moment for my company. Our greatest problem is that individual morale is starting to drop and people are beginning to slack off =[

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I was from a secondary team, all members from my high school. The thing was, we were so indecisive on a product. We went from T-shirts, to sleepwear, to badges, back to T-shirts. Because I was in "Manufacturing" I had to research where we could find a manufacturer, email them asking about costs etc., only to find out in the next meeting that we were changing products and we had to find new contacts all over again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)