Year 11 2014 Chat :) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J280

HSC
So guys, what were your first impressions of your subjects? Are there any you feel that you will be really interested in?
English Advanced: Teacher is alright, class is meh.., neutral about the content :(
3U Maths: Love this class, it's a small bunch of awesome people and everyone knows each other well :)
Physics: Started mechanics and kinematics, finding it pretty engaging so far but I can't wait till we're done with this topic lol.
Geography: I'm sure that I made the right choice in choosing this subject. I love it and the content is much more interesting than Y9/10 :)
DT: It's been pretty good so far but the work is already starting to pile up
Chemistry: My weakest subject, right down there with English. Seriously debating whether or not I should switch out :/

So for now:
3U Maths: 10/10
Geo: 10/10
Physics: 9/10
DT: 8/10
English: 6/10
Chemistry: 5/10

Looking forward to the rest of the year :D

Last edited:

I97

HSC
My class is using the Maths in Focus Ext 1 book, should i get the Cambridge one as well?

Reactions: x1

Examine

same
HSC
English Advanced: Teacher is alright, class is meh.., neutral about the content :(
3U Maths: Love this class, it's a small bunch of awesome people and everyone knows each other well :)
Physics: Started mechanics and kinematics, finding it pretty engaging so far but I can't wait till we're done with this topic lol.
Geography: I'm sure that I made the right choice in choosing this subject. I love it and the content is much more interesting than Y9/10 :)
Chemistry: My weakest subject, right down there with English. Seriously debating whether or not I should switch out :/

So for now:
Maths: 10/10

That sounds heaps good. (other than Chemistry though I guess you still have the option to choose another subject) I was actually contemplating doing Geography though at the last minute chose not to. However, since a person who was consistently in the top 3 overall from year 7-10 wanted to Geo they ran the class despite her being the only person. :haha: It's good that you're really enthusiastic about Maths atm, it was one of those subjects at my school where 1/3 of people failed the assessments (during the prelims yearly only about 1/4 passed LOL) and morale was quite low at the lower end.

How about everyone else?

Last edited:

Examine

same
HSC
My class is using the Maths in Focus Ext 1 book, should i get the Cambridge one as well?
Given your ATAR aim, I'd highly recommend it. Although my school used Maths in Focus basically everyone in the top 20 used Cambridge as our primary study textbook for Maths.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
So guys, what were your first impressions of your subjects? Are there any subs that you feel you will be really interested in?
English Advanced: Teacher is good, I'm actually starting to like English for some reason. (don't know why, haha)
3U Maths: Started circle geometry, really interesting learning about the properties because it's beautiful. :)
2U Maths: Pretty meh, stuff we're going through is revision from year 10 right now, although I'll get much harder throughout the year.
Biology: My teacher is hilarious - I love how in his introduction he constantly referred back to a walrus, haha. But yeah, I'm pretty happy with the subject.
Chemistry: Had an interesting discussion on how we need to be aware of how we consume the Earth's natural resources. Can't wait for the next lesson. :)
Modern History: Told that there's huge load of content to remember and that we have to write lots of essays. Already got homework and there's so much to do! :(
Economics: Okayish, first part of the double period was boring - we went over the syllabus. But in the second, it got more interesting as we had a discussion on whether Australian Post should be privatised or still owned by the government, so that was good.

For now:

3U Maths: 8/10
2U Maths: 8/10
English Advanced: 7/10
Biology: 9/10
Chemistry: 8/10
Economics: 8/10
Modern History: 9/10

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

So for now:
3U Maths: 10/10

Perhaps try changing your attitude towards chemistry and try your best in it-have this mentality that it might have been your weakest subject in the past, but you are empowered to change it to your strongest subject:)

J280

HSC
Perhaps try changing your attitude towards chemistry and try your best in it-have this mentality that it might have been your weakest subject in the past, but you are empowered to change it to your strongest subject:)
Yeah I seriously need an attitude adjustment towards Chemistry. It's something that I'll work towards to for the first half of the year :)

J280

HSC
English Advanced: Teacher is good, I'm actually starting to like English for some reason. (don't know why, haha)
3U Maths: Started circle geometry, really interesting learning about the properties because it's beautiful. :)
2U Maths: Pretty meh, stuff we're going through is revision from year 10 right now, although I'll get much harder throughout the year.
Biology: My teacher is hilarious - I love how in his introduction he constantly referred back to a walrus, haha. But yeah, I'm pretty happy with the subject.
Chemistry: Had an interesting discussion on how we need to be aware of how we consume the Earth's natural resources. Can't wait for the next lesson. :)
Modern History: Told that there's huge load of content to remember and that we have to write lots of essays. Already got homework and there's so much to do! :(
Economics: Okayish, first part of the double period was boring - we went over the syllabus. But in the second, it got more interesting as we had a discussion on whether Australian Post should be privatised or still owned by the government, so that was good.

For now:

Hey you must really love your subjects with those ratings. Either that, or I just graded mine too severely XD

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Hey you must really love your subjects with those ratings. Either that, or I just graded mine too severely XD
Haha, you can see English is my lowest. Although I am more inclined to studying it more.

Examine

same
HSC

For now:

It looks like you'll enjoy the next 2 years. Also it's good that you are liking English atm, makes it a whole lot easier to study for a subject you are interested in.

GolfGirl97

back from the dead
HSC
So guys, what were your first impressions of your subjects? Are there any subs that you feel you will be really interested in?
hmmmmm.
Advanced English: Pretty good. I was considering dropping to standard tbh, but I really like the teacher I got, they're really good. My class is pretty alright too. I think I'll enjoy it.
Extension Maths: Idk...maths has never been my best subject (except in year 7) and hopefully the teacher I have is good.
Chemistry: I have a couple of idiots in my class, but chemistry had always been my favourite branch of science. The teacher is alright.
Biology: Only had one lesson. The teacher's the same as my chem teacher. Its ok, but a full class and there are some idiots in the class :(
Multimedia: Pretty awesome. Content looks interesting. Teacher is ok but I already have an assignment :(
Engineering Studies: Idk I was half asleep. It was OK and the teachers alright. Class is super small. I actually wanted to try and change this to modern history because I want to still study a history. Initially I had ancient history, but I wanted to do multimedia so i dropped it. Im just praying someone drops out of modern history so theres a spot and I can do it so I dont have to do engineering studies :3

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
hmmmmm.
Advanced English: Pretty good. I was considering dropping to standard tbh, but I really like the teacher I got, they're really good. My class is pretty alright too. I think I'll enjoy it.
Extension Maths: Idk...maths has never been my best subject (except in year 7) and hopefully the teacher I have is good.
Chemistry: I have a couple of idiots in my class, but chemistry had always been my favourite branch of science. The teacher is alright.
Biology: Only had one lesson. The teacher's the same as my chem teacher. Its ok, but a full class and there are some idiots in the class :(
Multimedia: Pretty awesome. Content looks interesting. Teacher is ok but I already have an assignment :(
Engineering Studies: Idk I was half asleep. It was OK and the teachers alright. Class is super small. I actually wanted to try and change this to modern history because I want to still study a history. Initially I had ancient history, but I wanted to do multimedia so i dropped it. Im just praying someone drops out of modern history so theres a spot and I can do it so I dont have to do engineering studies :3
Never drop to Standard. Ever. Don't even let it cross your mind.

NickIsSkuxx

HSC
Really happy with all of them :)
Got great teachers and good classes (although a few disruptive kids in business class)
Even though I've only had it a couple of times I have a strong feeling economics will be fav subject this year!

Examine

same
HSC
hmmmmm.
Yeah for me Advanced English was bearable because my teacher was so dedicated hahah. Hmm is the modern history class full atm? I think you'll be able to switch easily with not too many problems since it's still pretty early. (plus from what I've heard from my friends is that if you don't enjoy engineering studies you will want to bang your head into a wall repeatedly due to the work load LOL)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Same here, however I find IPT the the most wierdly odd subject ever? Don't even know what its about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)