Year 11 2014 Chat :) (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Examine

same
HSC
explain aligining
Aligning is basically the transformation of your raw mark (the mark you get in your exam) to your external mark. This is mainly done so that raw marks align with the standards needed to achieve a specific band. For example, for Legal Studies in 2013 they may have determined that if you received a raw mark of 81/100 in the exam, you would have fulfilled the criteria needed to meet the criteria of a borderline band 6 response. In this case, it means that your raw mark of 81 aligns to a 90 external mark since BOS has determined that your exam response meets the standard needed for a band 6 student.

There's also something called options scaling, which basically affects your raw mark. Options scaling has been implemented to cover for the differences in the difficulty of questions (for example, BOS may believe that for a certain year Hamlet was harder than the other text options in mod B, and as a result can add extra marks for the students who answered the Hamlet question).

Now the problem with English Standard is a mix of both these things. If you look at the raw mark database you can see that the options scaling of standard actually subtracts your raw mark. For example, in 2011 there was a person who received a raw mark of 86/105 in Standard English, though after options scaling their mark was reduced to 80 (this mark is called Total weighted mark). This is a different story to English Advanced, where you are awarded marks due to options scaling depending on the difficulty of the question. Using an example from the 2012 HSC, there was a person who received a raw mark of 84/105, though due to options scaling their TWM was 87. So when we see the aligning of the TWM of the Standard English student their aligned mark went to 86, while the English Advanced student had their mark aligned to 90.

It's because of the negative effect options scaling has for standard students and the aligning which doesn't really overly compensate for those negative marks that people on this forum highly recommend others not to pick up Standard.

tl;dr the raw mark you get in the exam gets changed depending on what raw mark bos deems is of band 2/3/4/5/6 standard.

Last edited:

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Absolutely smashed D: but in reply to Examines question:

Adv English: 9/10

Extension English: 10/10

2U math: 8/10

Chemistry 9/10

Biology : 7/10 (just because it's kind of boring right now )

Society and Culture 11/10

I'll post more in depth later right now my pillow is calling to me. Adios muchachos.

PS THANK you or Examine for all your support and guidance, we really need you on this thread :D

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
I'm going to be super inactive during the school year :( I can sense it. ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk:

Preliminary HSC '14- Subjects: 2U Maths, Adv. English, Business Studies, Legal Studies,
Economics, Agriculture.

HSC '15- ATAR Goal: 90+

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
I'm going to be super inactive during the school year :( I can sense it. ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk:

Preliminary HSC '14- Subjects: 2U Maths, Adv. English, Business Studies, Legal Studies,
Economics, Agriculture.

HSC '15- ATAR Goal: 90+
Me too :( I love BOS but it distracts me way to much

Reactions: h_g

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
It's a cycle. During the exam period the forums are a bit more quiet but the users inevitably come back =p

Reactions: h_g

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
Not related to school, but what are the green bars under everyone's name and why do some people have red bars?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
FML... I got chem, bio, 2U and 3U maths and modern history homework to do by next week.

I'm so dead.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
So guys, what were your first impressions of your subjects? Are there any subs that you feel you will be really interested in?
I feel so indifferent to my subjects right now. Like, I still haven't had the time to think about them since the thing that's mostly going through my mind is "holy shit I'm in year 11".

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
This might sound very stupid but... what is rep?
Click on 'settings' on the top right hand corner of the page.

When you make a good comment, people can give you positive 'reputation' points and visa versa.

Only moderators can give negative rep, but we very rarely do it. Only if the user is particularly bad.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
Click on 'settings' on the top right hand corner of the page.

When you make a good comment, people can give you positive 'reputation' points and visa versa.

Only moderators can give negative rep, but we very rarely do it. Only if the user is particularly bad.
Omg thanks for the rep :D Another question, How much "rep" constitutes one bar?

Examine

same
HSC
I feel so indifferent to my subjects right now. Like, I still haven't had the time to think about them since the thing that's mostly going through my mind is "holy shit I'm in year 11".
Don't worry, I'm sure as a few weeks pass you'll develop an interest to some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)