Year 11 2014 Chat :) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm just contemplating whether I'll manage to keep up with 3U maths. Should I keep it and persist?
It's only the start of your journey and you want to quit?

Son, life is a struggle and it will always be one. There will be obstacles and some will take longer to jump over than others.

Keep at it :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol! I get to leave at 2:20pm on Mondays and 1pm on Tuesdays....YUSSSSS!!! But every other day I start at 8:05 and finish at 3:10 :'(
You start school very early-when do you usually wake up then?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
My parents want me to get a Maths tutor, but I really don't want to, even though I am pretty bad at Maths. It has always been my worst subject. I honestly don't have any idea why I chose 3U, but my dad won't let me drop down to 2U :/
I don't think I need a tutor for my science subjects, even though my science teachers are pretty crap. I managed to top the class the past 4 years by self teaching...so I should be ok.
Can you clarify a bit more by what you mean when you said 'you are pretty bad at maths'?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
It's only the start of your journey and you want to quit?

Son, life is a struggle and it will always be one. There will be obstacles and some will take longer to jump over than others.

Keep at it :)
I'm saying that I have doubts since it looks like everyone else in class seem to understand the concepts immediately, whereas I'm taking time to make it click. It makes me feel intimidated.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm saying that I have doubts since it looks like everyone else in class seem to understand the concepts immediately, whereas I'm taking time to make it click. It makes me feel intimidated.
Have you consider the possibility that a lot of people in the class might have gone to maths tuition and have learnt the concept before hand or even self-learnt the concept in the holidays, just don't worry about other people-remember, compete with yourself, just work hard and you will be fine. And anyways, just because they seem to understand the concepts does not necessarily mean they truly understand the concepts, for all you know, they might just be nodding their heads with very little idea of what's going on-the depth of a student's understanding can only be truly realised when you have assessments and exams.

GolfGirl97

back from the dead
HSC
You start school very early-when do you usually wake up then?
I wake up before 7. My mum has dropped me off the past few days, so I've been waking up at 6:45, but if I catch the bus, I have to be at the bus stop at 7:15....so I would have to wake up before 6:15 :/ And what sucks is, if I want to be at school on time I have to catch the 7:15 bus which gets to the train station where I have to walk to school from at 7:30....but theres a later bus at 7:45 which gets there at 8am but it takes like 10 minutes to walk to school...buses can be late...so I don't trust it...I'd have to take the 7:15 bus :(

Last edited:

GolfGirl97

back from the dead
HSC
Can you clarify a bit more by what you mean when you said 'you are pretty bad at maths'?
I failed my yearly last year (first time ive ever failed anything)....I was in the top maths class...and I got less than 40% part of that was my fault for not doing my homework...but my teacher was terrible at explaining as well :( I miss the days where I would always get over 80% :'(
It takes me a while to understand things... maths is always so confusing for me. I'm just not confident with it anymore.

Myrdred

HSC
Can someone help this question?
(a) Show that if the first, second and fourth terms of an AP form a geometric sequence, then either the sequence is a constant sequence, or the terms are the positive integer multiples of the first term.

So far, I've proved that a=d but I can't conclude.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I failed my yearly last year (first time ive ever failed anything)....I was in the top maths class...and I got less than 40% part of that was my fault for not doing my homework...but my teacher was terrible at explaining as well :( I miss the days where I would always get over 80% :'(
It takes me a while to understand things... maths is always so confusing for me. I'm just not confident with it anymore.
You really should consider getting a maths tutor-having a maths tutor allows you to learn at your own pace and can reinforce concepts learnt in class. Don't lose hope-particularly since you are doing 3 unit maths as well. Perhaps ask maths questions on BOS and do plenty of practice-you can improve in it-have faith in yourself you can get over 80% this year, just work towards it in baby steps:)

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Have you consider the possibility that a lot of people in the class might have gone to maths tuition and have learnt the concept before hand or even self-learnt the concept in the holidays, just don't worry about other people-remember, compete with yourself, just work hard and you will be fine. And anyways, just because they seem to understand the concepts does not necessarily mean they truly understand the concepts, for all you know, they might just be nodding their heads with very little idea of what's going on-the depth of a student's understanding can only be truly realised when you have assessments and exams.
True. That happened in 2U maths class today; we just started on surds and when the teacher explained, barely anyone could understand it except for me and 2 other peers since we did 5.3 last year (I did catch up work in the holidays). So yeah, I see what you mean - maths tuition has been so helpful for me as my tutor can explain concepts really well, thereby consolidating my knowledge with example questions because essentially, I relearnt the stuff in class.

Last edited:

GolfGirl97

back from the dead
HSC
You really should consider getting a maths tutor-having a maths tutor allows you to learn at your own pace and can reinforce concepts learnt in class. Don't lose hope-particularly since you are doing 3 unit maths as well. Perhaps ask maths questions on BOS and do plenty of practice-you can improve in it-have faith in yourself you can get over 80% this year, just work towards it in baby steps:)
yeah, i'll see about the maths tutor, its just i already have such long days and alot of work so idk if i wanna have an extra hour or two of tutoring. Ill try and focus more this year and I think I have a better teacher so hopefully I do ok.. I'll try not to give up on it :L

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
yeah, i'll see about the maths tutor, its just i already have such long days and alot of work so idk if i wanna have an extra hour or two of tutoring. Ill try and focus more this year and I think I have a better teacher so hopefully I do ok.. I'll try not to give up on it :L
If you don't understand, always ask your teacher questions - that's what I always did and still do today.

GolfGirl97

back from the dead
HSC
If you don't understand, always ask your teacher questions - that's what I always did and still do today.
yah, just my previous teacher wasnt exactly too helpful, we would go up and ask her and go back more confused. I think my teacher this year is better because her explanations seem a lot clearer to me.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
yah, just my previous teacher wasnt exactly too helpful, we would go up and ask her and go back more confused. I think my teacher this year is better because her explanations seem a lot clearer to me.
That's good. But yeah, if you still don't get it, then I'd advise you to find a tutor. (There are lots on this website)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Think of it this way.

If you have a tutor, you could spend only 2 hrs on Maths HW smoothly as opposed to 4 rough hours trying to figure everything out etc.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Think of it this way.

If you have a tutor, you could spend only 2 hrs on Maths HW smoothly as opposed to 4 rough hours trying to figure everything out etc.
^

Also with extra commitments like tutoring you're forced to manage your time better, which is definitely a useful skill for senior years :p

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Can someone help this question?
(a) Show that if the first, second and fourth terms of an AP form a geometric sequence, then either the sequence is a constant sequence, or the terms are the positive integer multiples of the first term.

So far, I've proved that a=d but I can't conclude.
Is your school starting series and sequences already?!
That's good. But yeah, if you still don't get it, then I'd advise you to find a tutor. (There are lots on this website)
A tutor isn't necessary if you're motivated enough to put in a couple hours every day.

Myrdred

HSC
Yeah straight to series and sequence for my class. Not even revision lol

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Yeah straight to series and sequence for my class. Not even revision lol
Series and sequences are really fun! Except for financial maths. That is the biggest b1tch alive haha

How are you all finding year 11 so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)