Year 10 Work Experience (1 Viewer)

silvi_1

HSC
Hi! I'm new here, :)
I was wondering if its a good idea to go to a medical clinic for work experience. My dad knows someone who works there so it'll be easy for me to get in.
However, would hospital offer a better work experience program? Because its possible that I may do nothing as it is a small clinic.
Unfortuantely, I've left this a little last minute and was wondering if any hospitals would still accept me. If I were to try out, what would be necessary to ensure I get a larger chance of getting in? eg, resume, applications...

Interested Hospitals:
Sydney Adventist Hospital - rejected
Royal Prince Alfred Hospital - haven't tried yet
Royal North Shore Hospital - got tangled up on the phone, was sent everywhere and got really annoyed/confused

If I could get any advice on my situation, that'll be great! :D

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I personally suggest choosing a place that's nearby. If you live far from the city there's no point on going to RPA, stick to your clinic. I think, but am not sure, that work experience in clinics/hospitals tends to be of a nursing nature, are you looking for that specific type of career?

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Sounds good, but make it somewhere nearby like mirakon said.

Have fun :D

Last edited:

silvi_1

HSC
Yeah, I want to become a doctor when I'm older except, I want to get a feel of it before I actually choose my subjects next year. Hm, thanks for the advice!

Most importantly, do you know if most hospitals still have spaces for work experience even at this time?

Thanks,

mirakon

nigga
HSC
It is often quite difficult to get work experience in hospitals and once again hospital work experience tends to be nursing of the nursing persuasion, so think to yourself, is it entirely worth the effort of doing wqork experience in nurse-type work when you want to be a doctor? However it may give you a feel of the general environment you hope to work in in future. Weigh up these considerations. Again, is it convenient for you to travel there regularly after school hours for a certain period of time? Is it conveniently close to your home? What do you wish to experience and will the nature of work you're expecting to do there be relevant in this regard?

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi! I'm new here, :)
I was wondering if its a good idea to go to a medical clinic for work experience. My dad knows someone who works there so it'll be easy for me to get in.
However, would hospital offer a better work experience program? Because its possible that I may do nothing as it is a small clinic.
Unfortuantely, I've left this a little last minute and was wondering if any hospitals would still accept me. If I were to try out, what would be necessary to ensure I get a larger chance of getting in? eg, resume, applications...

Interested Hospitals:
Sydney Adventist Hospital - rejected
Royal Prince Alfred Hospital - haven't tried yet
Royal North Shore Hospital - got tangled up on the phone, was sent everywhere and got really annoyed/confused

If I could get any advice on my situation, that'll be great! :D
I heard working in a Hospital was boring......
A medical clinic would be alright-ish I guess
But most of the time you'd have to work within the reception, I don't know whether if you'd be allowed to look at what the doctor is doing...
Unless if you specifically state that you want to look at what the doctor does and that stuff...

But anyhow I worked at Myer last year... oh man it's friggin tiring work, more tiring than school. I even had to buy a cup of coffee everyday just to keep up with the work...
one hour into work my foot was all hurt >_<
and i have to wear leather shoes :/

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
From Work Experience last year, my friends didn't really get to do much from where they went. Sure, it's fun, but it doesn't offer a real incite as you don't do much.

I went back to Primary School for work experience, and it was the most fun I'd had in a long time, very nostalgic too, but I didn't really get to do what a teacher does.

stiddies

HSC
Hi there,

Gratz on becoming a member great idea, just don't let the teachers know you use this site. Anyway back to Work Experience, I think working at the hospital is definitely better, the idea is to get a feeling of what happens around a real hospital. Although you'd probably be helping nursing, it's better than office work at a clinic.

Like you I want to be a doctor, but I've asked around a bit late. On your application for uni, work experience at a hospital is really good but working at a medical clinic is quite impressive as well. Because it's just about you working with others - teamwork, communication.

If your sitll interested in working at a hospital you should go to:
List of hospitals in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and look for hospitals close you, go to the hospitals page and look for "employment" and "work experience". I think it's not to late to apply.
:( Missed out at Sydney's Children Hospital

amndacatr

HSC
It is not the name but the knowledge that you gain matters the most. If you move to a hospital for some experience then it would be rare chance but the thing is that you might not be assigned the work that could help you prosper. Now, if you are working at a medical clinic for instance, though the situation might somewhat be the same, but you can also learn from there. Whichever place you opt for it is you who has to learn so select a place where you can gains some good experience and would also be comfortable to you.

silvi_1

HSC
Why shouldn't teachers know about it?
Sorry, I don't quite know how to quote things yet !

I eventually got my work experience organised at the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Centre. Hopefully it'll be good...anyone been there by any chance?

vintagedreams

HSC
I think that you'd be better off staying close to where you live, even if it is a small clinic. A small clinic may be a better option for you because it won't be as busy. If you go to a big hospital such as RPA, it could be really overwhelming and I think you'd find you wouldn't get to do as much as you would if you were in a smaller, and less busy place. Good luck! :)

frango

HSC
it is always good to have someone to get you in.

MzG1zi

HSC
Yeah, I want to become a doctor when I'm older except, I want to get a feel of it before I actually choose my subjects next year. Hm, thanks for the advice!

Most importantly, do you know if most hospitals still have spaces for work experience even at this time?

Thanks,
hey, i was in exactly the same situation as you last year, and from the comparison between my friends experience (who did hers at a med clinic), and my experience, (i went to westmead hospital) mine was much more enjoyable and interesting.
i dont think that you can actually get experience with doctors at hospitals, because i tried really really hard to do so last year... so i was pretty disappointed but settled for the nursing exp. program that westmead runs.
i chose to do mine at the neuroscience ward so i got to see much more extreme cases than what others may see...i got to remove cannula's, recorded the heart rate and temp. of patients two times a day, i got to tag along with the doctors when they were doing the rounds, saw an in out catheter....the list goes on.
whereas my friend mostly saw people with the flu get prescription for anti-biotics, she said the most interesting thing she got to do was put the band-aid on a patient after the doctor cut the stitches, and when patients with interesting cases of illness went, she was asked to leave the room because it was considered confidential.
i guess the exp. you will get at a med clinic varies on how big it is, but i think no matter how big the clinic, it will never beat the experience you get at a hospital.

at the hospital, people actually think your a doctor. i got treated with so much prestige, and even after i told them i was on work exp, the patients and their families still made me feel like a doctor. you are also asked to interview nurses and patients, so they provide you with heaps of inspiration. overall, i had an awesome experience and was very upset when it was over.

and with spaces available, i booked my work exp in august last year and ended up doing it after the SC exams. you still have plenty of time :)
i hope this was useful...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)