Year 10 vs Year 11 (1 Viewer)

Audranda

HSC
How immense is the gap between year 10 and year 11?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I can barely year 10...gee I am getting old...the gap was big, but manageable.

In comparison, year 11 was extremely busy for me, only because I had much more extra curricular and school events (i.e. camps, excursions, etc.) The first term was horrendous. Year 10 was quite chill, even though I didn't think so at the time. In retrospect, I wish I freaked out less.

Year 11 really teaches you have to manage your time better and make sure you get things done. Use year 11 as an opportunity to improve your organisational skills, experiment with different study techniques to see what works best, etc. I'm in year 12 now, and I've only just found a system that works for me, in terms of organising my work, and found it much more productive. Try not to last-minute in year 11.

Content wise, you will find year 11 is a lot more intensive and detailed. English, imo, is a lot more structured in year 11 and use it as an opportunity to perfect your essays and creative writing. It depends on what subjects you do, but I found all my subjects more intensive.

Timetable wise, I had free periods, which were the best part of my day. You'll learn to love and enjoy your frees, which is one of the benefits of year 11. You will also have more time to work on subjects you actually care about too.

Pretty much, just use year 11 as the time to get your organisational skills sorted, and put effort (at least a little bit) for year 11. If you can manage your time well enough, you will find the "gap" small.

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
tbh didnt feel much of a difference between yr 10 and yr 11, i participated in more school activities but still managed to do decent in my subjects (not the best).

The difference between yr 11 and 12 is a lot bigger.

Swear to god all the teachers get together and purposely set assignments, exams etc in the same week on purpose.

But best tip I can give start your assignments early so you have more time to focus on your exams when they come around.

enoilgam

HSC
I can barely year 10...gee I am getting old...the gap was big, but manageable.
I'm a 2010er how do you think I feel :p?

There are usually a range of views on this question because it does depend on the person and your aims etc. Personally, I found Year 11 to be a big step up from Year 10 in terms of the difficulty and overall workload. Plus, a lot of people step up as well, so it becomes a lot more competitive in terms of rankings and stuff. But as rumbleroar said, if you are motivated and good at self-management, it isnt that bad - Year 11 is a great time to start working on these issues.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
How immense is the gap between year 10 and year 11?
The gap is often immense, my personal opinion is that the workload in year 11 is 10 times the work load of year 10, mainly because in senior years, teachers expect you to do more indepenent self learning and take more responsibility for your own results and routine, but don't be scared, because most people will also feel the immense gap so you will not be alone in trying to adjust. Just make sure you try to study ahead-i.e. studying some year 11 subject, look over their textbooks in the summer holidays, be mentally prepared for more assessment tasks, and I guess a very significant difference is you realise how much more important English is as a subject in your senior years-mainly because it is compulsory for the HSC, whereas in past years you might just have regarded it as just another subject-but as long as you are prepared to work hard-you will be fine. Best of luck:)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I should be graduating this year (way too old).
Lol. You're still young XD.

I call my uncle young and he's retired over 65 XD.

To OP:

The gap is pretty big. You need to study twice as much as before, and I found it easiest to stop video gaming by the time I reached year 11.

iEatOysters

HSC
The jump from year 10 to year 11 is big, but the jump from year 11 to year 12 is bigger still. Everyone starts to knuckle down in year 11 and 12, so it's often a lot more difficult to maintain ranks and do well. There's also a lot more work involved in most subjects, you'll have to work a lot harder to stay on top of things.

Chubbeh

HSC
Year 10 - breeze through exams without study
Year 11 - fail exams without study

You just need to know that you do need to study and understand syllabus requirements in senior years more than junior years to do well.

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
Year 10 - breeze through exams without study
Year 11 - fail exams without study

You just need to know that you do need to study and understand syllabus requirements in senior years more than junior years to do well.
THIS

dinomyte

HSC
For me the gap between year 10 and year 11 was bigger than the gap between year 11 and 12. Mostly because as a senior, there's a huge step up in work load and especially what teachers expected of me. Learning is a lot more syllabus based. In a way, year 11 is when everything got more serious (because serious doesn't start until year 12 lol)

bec3

HSC
Whilst the gap is pretty big, one positive (or negative... depending on how you see it!) is that your teachers are usually more democratic in their teaching style. This might depend on your school but I found that teachers became more accessible, meaning that you got a greater amount of personalised help.
But I think overall, the transition wasn't so bad. You have more choice in what you study, meaning that whilst the workload increases, if you study what you enjoy it doesn't seem as intense.
Me for example, I chose chem, hated it, thought it had huge amounts of homework I'd never finish and concepts I'd never understand
however I also chose society and culture and community and family studies, therefore doing the PIP and IRP. They didn't seem nearly as demanding and draining, though in retrospect they had a MASSIVE amount of extra work in comparison to chem!

It's all about how you approach your studies. If you take the assistance from your teachers (is it's offered) and choose subjects you LIKE, then the gap won't seem so big and you'll be sitting the HSC before you know it ;)

raggiedoll

Scumbag
HSC
Depends on how serious you are with your studies. If you want to do well in Year 11, you'll find that you'll step up your game a lot. If you just want to simply pass tests, the only real difference is that exam blocks are longer. This is from my personal experience, I spent half of Year 11 bludging and the other half working like a beast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)