Year 10 2024 School applications (1 Viewer)

stnd08

HSC
I am starting to get some of my results for the schools I applied for this year and I can’t seem to make a choice where to go if all goes well.

First of all, I go to a top 30 private school and currently rank around 20-30 within my cohort of ~250 students.

I applied to various schools such as Baulkham Hills, Sydney Grammar, Fort Street, and Girraween, bringing me to my main point, What School Do I Go To?

I have some extracurricular and achievements behind me, including:
competitive swimming, interschool volleyball, cadets, Bronze Duke of Edinburgh, distinctions in ICAS and AMC, etc.

I recently reached the interview stage for Sydney Grammar (~10 days after taking the exam) and received 5 superiors in the Edutest (Baulkham Hills High School). However, I have yet to be notified by Baulkham Hills whether I will go to the interview stage and have not yet received results for my HAST exam (Girraween High School) nor my application to Fort Street. I want to avoid going to Fort Street High School and Girraween High School because my current school provides far greater resources and facilities. Although this applies to Baulkham Hills as well, I feel that it might be worth the trade due to the school’s higher ranking. I understand that the school’s ranking does not affect your ATAR as long as you place at the top of your subjects, however, since I am NOT at the top (as of now) I think switching to a higher-ranking school may prove beneficial.

Last edited:

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
I am starting to get some of my results for the schools I applied for this year and I can’t seem to make a choice where to go if all goes well.

First of all, I go to a top 30 private school and currently rank around 20-30 within my cohort of ~250 students.

I applied to various schools such as Baulkham Hills, Sydney Grammar, Fort Street, and Girraween, bringing me to my main point, What School Do I Go To?

I have some extracurricular and achievements behind me, including:
competitive swimming, interschool volleyball, cadets, Bronze Duke of Edinburgh, distinctions in ICAS and AMC, etc.

I recently reached the interview stage for Sydney Grammar (~10 days after taking the exam) and received 5 superiors in the Edutest (Baulkham Hills High School). However, I have yet to be notified by Baulkham Hills whether I will go to the interview stage and have not yet received results for my HAST exam (Girraween High School) nor my application to Fort Street. I want to avoid going to Fort Street High School and Girraween High School because my current school provides far greater resources and facilities. Although this applies to Baulkham Hills as well, I feel that it might be worth the trade due to the school’s higher ranking. I understand that the school’s ranking does not affect your ATAR as long as you place at the top of your subjects, however, since I am NOT at the top (as of now) I think switching to a higher-ranking school may prove beneficial.
but if u go to a higher ranking school its gonna be harder to rank higher

stnd08

HSC
but if u go to a higher ranking school its gonna be harder to rank higher
Yes, that's true. There will definitely be a 'cap' placed on my ATAR if I end up going to a higher-ranked school. However, when you consider ranking ~30 in a Top 30 school and compare it with ranking 70 or 80 in a Top 5 school, I believe the latter will give me a better ATAR in the end. Correct me if I'm wrong... 😅

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
Yes, that's true. There will definitely be a 'cap' placed on my ATAR if I end up going to a higher-ranked school. However, when you consider ranking ~30 in a Top 30 school and compare it with ranking 70 or 80 in a Top 5 school, I believe the latter will give me a better ATAR in the end. Correct me if I'm wrong... 😅
depends if ur cohort is strong, so yes in a top 5 school but even in ur current school ur cohort may be strong and would be better for u if ur rank is higher

stnd08

HSC
depends if ur cohort is strong, so yes in a top 5 school but even in ur current school ur cohort may be strong and would be better for u if ur rank is higher
Well, I mean, that is definitely something that I have been considering for a while now. Our cohort does display SOME academically gifted students that even outperform some top schools, however, it is a very small minority and definitely not adequate to retain the school's current rank. With the implementation of the International Baccalaureate program in our final year, this already small group of individuals will only reduce by the time I reach year 12. Therefore, it seems reasonable that I switch to a higher-ranking school because it not only guarantees a more competitive environment to allow for self-growth but also allows my ATAR to be unaffected by the school's rank.

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
it seems reasonable that I switch to a higher-ranking school because it not only guarantees a more competitive environment to allow for self-growth but also allows my ATAR to be unaffected by the school's rank.
honestly, If you believe and know ur gonna get a better Atar by changing schools, go for it, but at the end of the day its ur ranking

stnd08

HSC
honestly, If you believe and know ur gonna get a better Atar by changing schools, go for it, but at the end of the day its ur ranking
I mean, I guess that is kind of why I proposed the question. There are so many variables to this that I can't figure out what to do. As a student who is only in year 9, I can't really assume what is ahead for me. How much will I improve? Will I be able to keep up in a top 5 school? I guess, going to a higher-ranking school is a safer option that I feel more inclined to take.

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
I would go sydney grammar but it is a very very competitive school so preferably it would be best to be ranked at least top 10 in your current school as there is quite a large rank diff

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
I would go sydney grammar but it is a very very competitive school so preferably it would be best to be ranked at least top 10 in your current school as there is quite a large rank diff
Also no point in going to girra or fort if you make it since it’s basically same rank as ur current school

stnd08

HSC
Yes, that is true. I agree that Sydney Grammar is very competitive, however, ranking top 10 for any of the big private schools is very difficult as most of those students come to the school on scholarship.

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
Yes, that is true. I agree that Sydney Grammar is very competitive, however, ranking top 10 for any of the big private schools is very difficult as most of those students come to the school on scholarship.
Sydney grammar would be even harder then so what would be the point of going? It would be better to stay at your current school and try and rank within top 10 then dropping greatly at grammar. Plus you said that your current cohort only has a FEW academically capable students. So ranking within the top 10 wouldn’t be too hard right?

stnd08

HSC
Sydney grammar would be even harder then so what would be the point of going? It would be better to stay at your current school and try and rank within top 10 then dropping greatly at grammar. Plus you said that your current cohort only has a FEW academically capable students. So ranking within the top 10 wouldn’t be too hard right?
Yeah I guess so. I don't know....I just feel like it would be possible. At the end of the day, getting into Baulko and Grammar could be used to attain a scholarship at my school. Honestly, I just don't feel confident enough to reach top 10. It's a risk that I don't know if I should take.

goodcat911

HSC
Yeah I guess so. I don't know....I just feel like it would be possible. At the end of the day, getting into Baulko and Grammar could be used to attain a scholarship at my school. Honestly, I just don't feel confident enough to reach top 10. It's a risk that I don't know if I should take.
take the risk just dont bold ur words its pissing me off

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
I think just trust your gut instinct and go with what you feel is right, whatever school you go to you'll be able to get a good ATAR but just remember not to use bold in your HSC exams because it will confuse the marker and waste your time

carrotsss

HSC
being harder to rank high is ok, because a low rank at a better school is the equivalent of a higher rank at a worse school anyway

stnd08

HSC
I think just trust your gut instinct and go with what you feel is right, whatever school you go to you'll be able to get a good ATAR but just remember not to use bold in your HSC exams because it will confuse the marker and waste your time
haha yeah I think I’ll just listen to how I feel. My bad for bolding the words 😅 I thought it would make it easier to read if i just highlighted the main words.

Yes99

HSC
ranking top 10 for any of the big private schools is very difficult as most of those students come to the school on scholarship.
just curious, what would be the typical top 10%'s atar in your school ?

Yes99

HSC
The top 10% would approximately be above 99 while the top 10 would usually be above 99.5
then it would wouldn't be too bad staying in current school but then, ikwym tho. I am having a similar dilemma. is it really better to move. is there any point. one might say competition might motivate, one might say pressure and lower rank might demotivate. what does this all mean.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)