Y try so hard for?? (1 Viewer)

chantszhin

HSC
Do you ever wonder why you're trying so hard for a high UAI? and the course u wana get in doesnt even require that much?? (this maybe leaned towards many asians ahaha like me :] ). Well im planning to go to UNSW for Engineering, around 88 UAI, but i wouldn't say i'm working my ass off, but i could chillax a bit on the work + study. I'm aiming for a 96-97+. I guess it does give me more choices to choose....if i change my mind. Anyone else?

studentcheese

HSC
Well, it's because most people want to see what they can reach when they try their best. It's also because well.... let's say that the higher your uai is, the more you can boast about it in front of your friends and family. Usually, when students receive their HSC results, everyone asks each other about what uai they got, not the course they're gonna do.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
If you're aiming for a high UAI just for boasting rights, you would have to be a pretty sad person imo.

LordPc

HSC
you might change your mind and decide you want to do something else with a higher UAI. there are some info days after the HSC at unsw where you may change your mind, so its always nice to have a high UAI incase you do change last minute

you may also decide later that you want to do an engineering/commerce degree or something which has a higher UAI, around 95 at UNSW

or you might want to get a scholarship

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
A sense of achievement is always a great feeling, and to do so in the HSC would be great I think.
In saying that I want to keep my options open so I don't know what sort of UAI I'm aiming for...

HSC
i agree, im keeping my options open.
i wanted to get into journalism, but then there are like heapsss more thing i wanna check out. mabey even go for a gap year, but i dot want to plan my WHOLE life around it for now.

im enjoying things as they come.

A sense of achievement is always a great feeling, and to do so in the HSC would be great I think.
In saying that I want to keep my options open so I don't know what sort of UAI I'm aiming for...

Rainie

HSC
The higher UAI you get, the more choice with universities, since they make many offers with a high UAI. Whereas a low UAI, universities pick you, not you picking them.

Likewise with what others have said, you might want to venture into something different. That's what year 12 is for. Keep your options open, but don't limit yourself.

As for myself, i'm going to give it my best shot since it will be the last, biggest exam in my high school life. Why not do the best you can. Got nothing to lose. The worst feeling you can get is regretting after the HSC that you didn't work hard and slacked off.

My aim is 85 [though i'm starting myself I doubt I can achieve it]. But either way, i'll give it my best shot, and if it doesn't work out as planned, then alternative entry will be it even though it takes longer to get into uni.

My two cents :)

wendus

krawr.
HSC
it's because people just want to achieve their personal best. and you get satisfaction from that. so that's why they do it. i shared your thoughts exactly when i started year 12.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
For too many people bragging rights is such a major influence, it's the same reason kids get sent to prestige schools and people drive nice cars.

Another reason may be to be offered certain scholarships only for students who have extremely high UAIs, some people NEED those scholarships to attend uni.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Higher UAI = Charge moar for tutoring.
That's my main source of motivation atm.. Sad, I know ==;;

PrettyVacant

HSC
Lol you might fuck yourself over if your course cutoff changes?

Honestly there's no point in not trying because you think you don't need to for a certain course...just do your best.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am trying my best to see how far my potential can possibly lead me to. Or that least that would be the primary reason.

My secondary reason would be to increase my chance for many scholarships that could be accessible with extremely high UAI (e.g. 99.90+ for UNSW, 99.95+ for USYD and etc.)

I am not too sure about tutoring though. As long as you perform extremely welll in some subjects that you are willing to tutor in, you won't have much problem anyway...at least I think so.

Baggygreen408

HSC
because if u r not going to put in 100% for whatever u do, u may as well not bother to do anything at all...

U know it makes sense

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Never settle for second best. What a waste of time if you do.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Higher UAI = Charge moar for tutoring.
That's my main source of motivation atm.. Sad, I know ==;;
+1.

Never settle for second best. What a waste of time if you do.
LOL, off topic, but "Never settle for second best" reminds me of that Blockout Shutters Ad, where the elderly lady tackles the man.

Back to the main point of the thread. More options, doing your best, no regrets in the end, and extra cash for tutoring. That's why :D.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
I got a UAI of 97.5 Im doing a course with a UAI of 76.

Trust me when i tell you this. UAI provides NO indication of "degree hardness"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)