Xbox360... will it drop in price? Worth buying? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm debating whether to buy an Xbox360... trying to determine whether or not I "foresee" a drop in price when PS3 launches. The thing is, PS3 is so much more expensive (ie. $999 vs. $599) that I think they are in different markets altogether, in the sense that a drop in price for the 360 is unlikely to woo people who were willing to pay $999 for the PS3 at launch in the first place. That, and also I reckon that Microsoft (and retailers) have already factored in possible price drops by bundling consoles with games.

Any thoughts?

I lurvv racing games (so PGR3 ftw!). But my PS2 is dead so I can't play Gran Turismo. I'll probably buy a PS3 one day- once the real (not just a HD version of) Gran Turismo title comes out; and hopefully the price of PS3 would've dropped by then.

For now, the only games I want are PGR3 and DOA4 (and waiting for Forza2)... and coincidentally, Myer has the Premium Pack for 360 along with those two titles for $649! So maybe I should buy this, and wait for PS3 later... at which point I can finally play Guitar Hero again? *shrugs*

But man... did that PS3 Gran Turismo demo look sweet.

ps. Hi stazi :)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
What's DR?

At this point in time, definitely the 360 is the way to go since it has the bigger and better library of games. The PS3 don't have any worthwhile games at launch in my opinion, wait a year or so and a few good games are bound to come along. I just don't see why you'd buy the PS3 at launch when it's that expensive, and not having the launch titles to back it up.

Sure the PS3 has the better hardware but it all comes down to the games you want to play, with the price tag also being a factor. I guess it would be a better machine for racers though, since GT is a Sony exclusive. Though you can count on the third party developers to push some racing games out on both systems ie. Need for Speed. Then again mind you, neither system will have Mario Kart on them :p:rolleyes::p

Personally I'd go for the 360 because of it's lower price and more interest in it's games. People have been telling me that HDDVD is the format to back, so it can also double as a HDDVD player when you buy the add on. Few games I'm keeping an eye on as well that'll be out soon: Assasain's Creed and Bioshock in particular. Online gaming definitely is strongest on the xbox if you're into that kind of thing, and that Live Arcade is continuing to impress me (Ikaruga and Worms)

Not considering the Wii at all?

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Ohh and I think the 360 dropped price just before Christmas? If so then you'll probably have to wait a while.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Get a Wii. Thats where everyone is leaning towards but then again Nintendo never really has that many good games.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Gilbert1 said:
Get a Wii. Thats where everyone is leaning towards but then again Nintendo never really has that many good games.
That's a silly thing to say. Though third party support was rather lacking in the days of the Gamecube and N64, I doubt the Wii is going to have such a problem. In my opinion, a Nintendo console is worth it due to the high quality of their first party games alone. I don't think that anyone could doubt that Nintendo and it's affiliated mascots and franchises have produced some of the finest games in history.

Expect the Wii to get a lot more exclusives this time around, because of that new controller.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
im probably gonna be selling my xbox360, dont use it enough...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hey gayking. i'll buy it. then i can play with myself. lolz.

Whilst I wouldn't mind also having a PS3 in addition the my xbox 360, if I had to choose between owning one (pretending I didn't have a 360), the clear winner is the 360.

360 selling points:
1) $650 Incl. free game Vs. $999 for the PS3
2) Identical graphics (OK, technically ports have come out looking and performing worse on the PS3, but it only recently came out, so I'll leave some room for PS3 developers to catch up and iron out the flaws. Also, I think it'll be a while before we see a game on the ps3 of Gears of War quality)
3) A wireless controller that rumbles really draws you in more than unsensitive gimicky 'Six-Axis' technology without any rumble support on the ps3.
4) Downloadable content for 360 games
5) The best online network
6) Gamerpoints
7) Downloadable TV shows

The things that the PS3 has going for it:
1) Great support from some companies such as Square (i.e a next-gen final fantasy)
2) Ability to build on the existing market-share for the original console
3) Best Japanese support, and the Japs sure can make some great games
4) Region-free (however, Blu-Ray, unlike HD-DVD is region free)
5) In-built Blu-Ray player (you have to fork out moneys for an HD-DVD playA for the 360

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Either PS3, or Wii.

Or i could just upgrade my pc with a DX10 graphic card and a Dual Core processor..

stazi

Nightman
HSC
brogan77 said:
Imma getting a PS3 around Christmas.

Until then I'll satisfy myself with Guitar Hero and God of War II when it comes out.

I'm not a big gaymer, anygay.
Yeah, im considering buying a ps2 :eek: so many orsum gaymes on it.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
stazi said:
Yeah, im considering buying a ps2 :eek: so many orsum gaymes on it.
I say get a PS2 because if there going to do what they did last time they will keep releasing new games on the PS2 for a few more years. If I'm wrong though theres still a few good games for PS2 and they will be cheap

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Gilbert1 said:
I say get a PS2 because if there going to do what they did last time they will keep releasing new games on the PS2 for a few more years. If I'm wrong though theres still a few good games for PS2 and they will be cheap
yeah, ive got a 360 as well though. and a wii. i just wanna play bully, FFXII and God of War (1 & 2)

Nolan - how much, where from. i wish to do the same.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL @ PS2... i was actually going to buy a PS2 (again) so that I could make use of my game library (and Guitar Hero)... but then ended up deciding to wait until PS3 comes out, drops in price, and hopefully the new backwards compatibility ftw will work.

Anyhow, I bought my 360 on Sunday. Friend bought it for me using staff discount for $585 with PGR3, DOA4, and all the other goodies (media remote, hdd, wireless controller, component cables, ethernet cable, Xbox Live Gold Trial)... and I'm very very happy with it. I just wish there was a way to get demos without swallowing up 1gb downloads off my monthly bandwidth (stupid Bigpond). Are there magazines with demos by any chance? I DL'd TDU and PDZ demos, and currently getting NFS:Carbon. I saw PDZ for $44 in a catalogue (Myer I think?) so I might buy it if it's good.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yep the official xbox magazine has demos. DONT get the NFS: Carbon demo. They released a very crappy build of it, that's a waste of bandwidth. Do you have an HD-TV?

Also, check out this site for rentals:

http://therentertainer.com.au/?ref=XBW

I swear by it - have been using them for 2 months now. It's fantastic. Prices are very cheap and delivery times are short (about 2 days each way). THe bloke who owns it (I think his name is John) also lets you choose two games when you register that he will personally get in specifically for you, if he doesn't have them yet.

And I found that link on xboxworld (as it's some referal thing) and it gives you the second month free of your registration.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Too late I DL'd the Carbon demo... what's wrong with it?

Sigh my Xbox360 just died. I was playing PGR3 and downloading the car packs, and then I heard this scratching noise... and it sounded as if the disc shattered or something o_O!!!... my game exited and said I needed to clean the disc, returned to dashboard... and now it says "Unplayable disc" whenever I put PGR3.. or my other games (ie. DOA4) inside!?! It also makes a weird noise whenever the disc tray closes....

How... very.. odd... :(

stazi

Nightman
HSC
...i really hope you didnt do what I think you did. Did you have your console stood up vertically? You may have moved the stand it was on, or the console it's on therefore moving the laser and destroying your disc. Your disc also likely damaged the laser. This is why there's a shitload of warnings on every console that if you move it from vertical to horizontal (or vice versa) you will damage your disc and console. Looks like you'll have to send it in for repair?

Carbon has poor graphics and a horrible frame-rate. You seem to have only played the worse (graphically) 360 games :p Get Gears of War!

Also, you didn't answer: are you playing your 360 on an HD-TV?

violent

HSC
i'm buying a wii sometime in the next 2-3 weeks.
while currently it doesn't have alot of games, there is also a huge range of GC games (such as resident evil 4, mario double dash, super smash brothers) available that are playable, and alot of classics available for download via the virtual console.
i think the best thing about the wii, is that i can buy the console, another controller, the games i want and still be around the price that it would cost to buy an xbox 360 that comes with a controller and game only.
just pick whatever console you think you will have the most enjoyment out of, and remember that graphics != enjoyment and that all the consoles have something different to offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)