WW1 Study Game (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Before the HSC last year the class of '03 played these study games on the board. I thought I would start a world war one study game just to get some people posting in this subforum!!!

This is how the modern history study game works.

The first poster will ask a question on WW1.

E.g. What year was the Treaty of Versailles signed?

The 2nd poster answers it

E.g. 1919

They then ask the next question

E.g. When was the Battle of the Somme?

The third poster than answers the question, and asks the next question, and so on.

Let's start.

First question:

When did the Battle of the Somme commence?

Jennibeans

HSC
Karl Leibknecht & Rosa Luxemberg outspoken in opposition to war - peace demo Berlin Dec 1915
International Women's Peace Party established 1915
Bethmann Hollwegg raises peace issue formally in Dec 1916 (allies saw it as insincere)
Peace Resolution in Germany July 1917
Stockholm Conference 1917
Papal Peace Note August 1917
Wilson's 14 points - late 1917 Wilson wants liberal war aims
- Jan 1918 Wilson wants peace
Ludendorff's 'Peace Offensives" July 1918 he wanted peace on Germany's terms

Describe the physical & psychological effects of trench warfare on the western front

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Phsical: trench foot, gangrene, lice -> scratching causes sores -> Boils, impetigo & ulcers, cold -> Frostbite -> infection, gangrene & later amputation

psychological: The effects of the nature of battle & the conditions in which they had to fight had major short-term & long-term psychological effects. This was hardly surprising. The vast majority who fought along the western front were men for whom violence & savagery of battle was totally alien to anything they had ever experienced. These ordinary men suddenly had to cope with the incessant din of an artillery barrage, the sight of human flesh torn apart & the stench of the sicking cocktail of the trench’s contents. Many were unable to cope & cracked under the strain.
The military authorities adamantly refused to recognise shell shock & accused those who displayed symptoms of malingering and, worse, cowardice. Shell shock was caused by the stresses created by the nature of war at the front. Some men became violent & angry & had to be physically restrained; some men turned inwards & refused to communicate; some would gaze out blankly as if in another world; others might shake, mumble & slobber. For some men the trauma of the war left them once they returned to civilian life. For others it stayed with them forever.

name the different types of gases and what they did to the soldier and why were they used?

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
xylyl bromide (used by the french "tear gas")
germany tested 'soft core' chemical irritants at Neuve Chappel (1914)
chlorine was next in 1915 (Second Battle of Ypres); it was more effective on one's own troops than the enemy.
"The effects of chlorine gas were severe. Within seconds of inhaling its vapour it destroyed the victim's respiratory organs, bringing on choking attacks."
phosgene was used later in the war, to a similar effect...
"Following on the heels of chlorine gas came the use of phosgene. Phosgene as a weapon was more potent than chlorine in that while the latter was potentially deadly it caused the victim to violently cough and choke.
"Phosgene caused much less coughing with the result that more of it was inhaled; it was consequently adopted by both German and Allied armies. Phosgene often had a delayed effect; apparently healthy soldiers were taken down with phosgene gas poisoning up to 48 hours after inhalation."

Good old Mustard Gas was next. My great uncle suffered this one... It was first used in 1917 at the battle of Riga.
"Mustard gas, an almost odourless chemical, was distinguished by the serious blisters it caused both internally and externally, brought on several hours after exposure. "

On the whole, the effectiveness of gas was all but destroyed post 1915 with the development of gas masks, and a good dose of common sense. Anti-gas procedures were quickly adopted and casualties dropped quickly.

What were the causes of World War I?

miss-teek

There existed political and cultural tension between all the participating countries, but what set everyone off was the assaination of that duke of argentina or somewhere.

What were the roles of women during the war and what were the inital and latter responses of the women?

clerisy

HSC
Note-- Archduke of Austria-Hungary. I think he was more the catalyst than the cause, though.

WOMEN
ROLE
* entering the workforce, filling jobs soldiers left behind. 1.6million more women entered the workforce during the war, half of whom went into manufacturing industries-- thereby also helping to sustain wartime production.
* role in the auxiliary forces of the army eg Womens Royal Naval Service (1915), Womens Army Auxiliary Corps (1916), Womens Royal Air Force (1918). Took a variety of war related roles in supply, communication etc in order to free up men for the front.
* nursing. 2/3 Voluntary Aid Detachment were female, allowed to travel to the front by 1915.
* recruitment. Suffragettes abandoned quest for the vote to promote war effort. Would harass men on the street to fight & early in the war held rallies ("For Men Must Fight and Women Must Work")

IMPACT
* general change in attitudes. Women had experienced independence; men had seen capabilities of women
* but expectation women would return home and free up jobs for soldiers. Rapid drop in women in employment.
* looser social behaviour. Marriage patterns, fashions, male-female interaction all changed.
* political recognition. Limited suffrage in Jan 1918.

In general, what were the reasons for the League of Nations' ineffectiveness?

Last edited:

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
* US missing
* Membership did not reflet the balance of power in the world.
* The League was based on the principle of internationalism when the world was obsessed with nationalism.
* No League army
* Could not enforce member countries to send peace keeping force to places of crisis
* Became a ‘toothless tiger’
* Collective security amongst League members difficult to achieve when some nations continued to build alliances eg France
* League could only attempt to solve international problems – Moral guardian

What were the post war civilian and soldier expectations in Germany

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
original plan. sweep through belgium with large numbers of troops and decimate the belgians quickly so as not to be delayed and then to push on and attack a suprised and un prepared france on an un protected border (by passing alsace loraine which was heavily defended) in two weeks the germans would capture paris which would cause the french to surrender making it impossible for the british to invade.

alterations: less troops (more sent to russian border)
more time given for belgian invasion
taking paris became a goal that was not as important.
troops were not to invade through holland (the air pipe that enables us all to breathe :) )
the right flank was weakened.
more troops were to pass through the bottleneck at liege
ergh thats all i can remember

my question:
what were the main reasons behind germany's degeat in the first world war?

get.regime

Reasons for the stalemate:

Failure of the Schleiffen Plan.
Schleiffen plan failed to anticipate supply problems created by rapid advance through Belgium and France.
German infantry became exhausted by complex attacking movements.
French reinforcements could be moved from west to east by train, thus holding the German advance.
Britain became involved, BEF prevent German forces from arching around Paris. British Navy dulled any prospect of victory for the Germans.
Generals believed the key to victory was artillery and offensive spirit of the infantry; they failed to take into account machine guns and trench warfare that would favour the defence.

Attemps to break the stalemate:
JAN 1915 Naval attacks at Gallipoli
APR 1915 Landings as Gallipoli
FEB-DEC 1916 Battle of Verdun (German Offensive)
JUL-NOV 1916 Battle of the Somme (British Offensive)
APR-MAY 1917 Battle of the Aisne (French Offensive)
JUL-NOV 1917 Ypres (British Offensive )
MAR 1918 Germany's spring offensive
And all the various weapon descriptions and allusions to tehcnology being the key etc.

---

Briefly describe the roles and goals of the "big three" at the Paris Peace Treaty.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
aims and roles of the big three - okay did this today

France - Cleumenaue (sorry about spelling)
- wanted to ensure that Germans were punished for actions
- wanted to gain endemnities due to the cost of war on French Terraian
- Disaramament of Germany
- Control of Rhine River to provide a buffer zone against any further threats to France

Britian - Llyod George
- role was somewhat the intemediate b/w the hardlined Cleumenaue and soft Wilson
- was responicble for editing the original draft that was to come out the of the meeting; his job to tell Cleumenaue that he had been a little to hard on germany

- aims - had to fulfill his promise to the British people that Germany woudl pay for the war he had advocated a hard stance and needed to reinforce this

United States - Wilson
- role - wanted peace
- advocated the 14 point plan just prior to the paris conference - featured in his disusissions

- aims - expressed the need to establish point 14 - the league of nations
- wanted to impose small or no endeminties on Germany
- small reduction in arms not total disarmament

now for my question

continuing with the big three theme

What were the aims of the big three in relation to the League of Nations and how did they use the league to enforce their own desires?

edwardcav

edwardcav
HSC
Clemenceau was dirty because france was a trashed warzone. his greed towards versailles aimed to solve the problems that france was facing post war. The Clem-Dog wanted the River Rhine free of German control (and convenitenly in the hands of the broken France) - and on top of Alsace and lorraine they wanted the nearby saarland. possible napoleonistic tendencies.

Both Clem dog and Boy george wanted to push article 231 against USA's will who recognised Germany's inability to pay.

Lloyd George was the leader of the British empire, the successful leader ofthe British empire and so we have to expect and assume his intentions were imperialistic.

I don't think woodrow Wilson was driven by his own desires - his only fault being that he was too unselfish from US point of view perhaps... His opinions represented the most commonsense.

and dont forget orlando from italy. he left with the shits that he didnt get what he wanted. werent italy indecisive anyways?

What were the women of Germany doing from 1914-1918, apart from work and get hungry?

danif

HSC
not trying to be arrogant edwardcav, but i dont think we have to know the effect of the war on German Women, only british women: "The impact of war on women's lives and experiences (Britian)" - according to the syllabus dot point. Clerisy kinda answered that aspect of it but a summary:
- social barriers were broken down, greater independence for women
- shift in demographic of workers - more women in munitions factories etc.
- financial independence
- right to vote and stand as candidates for election in 1918
- 1919 bill to remove inequality between men and women

my question: what was the effect of the bolshevik revolution on WWI

mittens

HSC
the effect of the bolshevik revolution on WWI

it is because of the following that ww1 saw little of russia towards the end of the war...
General Brusilov tried to launch a massive new offensive on the Eastern Front with the confidence of the success of this tactic in the previous year, although it collapsed in on itself; the soldiers deterted the army, infact there were no less than 2 million russian deserters by October...! :rolleyes: lenin referred to this :"the soldiers voted for peace with their feet" and wouldnt you believe it the peasants were already dividing up the noble houses amongst themselves :p

the government's authority collapsed completely! infact, russian commander-in-cheif General Kornilov attempted to seize power. chaotic eh?! the Bolshevik red guards were appealed to and given arms to help constrain the situation and in doing so they were able to protect petrograd from the rioters. at this Kornilov's troops refused to march on petrograd, the insurrection failed... though im not entirely clear why... either way the red army claimed that they had saved Russia from a counter revolution and with that they became popular amongst the people... sounds strange to me but you never can tell with russians!

then on the 8th november 1917-the day after their claim to power the Bolsheviks issued a decree calling for a 'just and democratic peace' in december the signed an armistice with Germany and began peace negotiations at Brest-Litovsk the treaty as eventually signed according to germany's terms and after trotsky had threaterned to resign twice went ahead only to be reversed by the allied victory on the western front... at the cost of peace between Russia and Germany! hope that answered the question... or did i skoot around it? anyway russia continued with a civil war of its own while the rest of the war went on without it... not long to go and germany is defeated by the allies this ment more troops that were once fighting on the eastern front could aid the western front now...thats all i can remeber...

now my question: now that russia is out of it...what saw the end of the first world war and the last german offensive collapse before their deutch eyes?

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
mittens said:

it is because of the following that ww1 saw little of russia towards the end of the war...
General Brusilov tried to launch a massive new offensive on the Eastern Front with the confidence of the success of this tactic in the previous year, although it collapsed in on itself; the soldiers deterted the army, infact there were no less than 2 million russian deserters by October...! :rolleyes: lenin referred to this :"the soldiers voted for peace with their feet" and wouldnt you believe it the peasants were already dividing up the noble houses amongst themselves :p

the government's authority collapsed completely! infact, russian commander-in-cheif General Kornilov attempted to seize power. chaotic eh?! the Bolshevik red guards were appealed to and given arms to help constrain the situation and in doing so they were able to protect petrograd from the rioters. at this Kornilov's troops refused to march on petrograd, the insurrection failed... though im not entirely clear why... either way the red army claimed that they had saved Russia from a counter revolution and with that they became popular amongst the people... sounds strange to me but you never can tell with russians!

then on the 8th november 1917-the day after their claim to power the Bolsheviks issued a decree calling for a 'just and democratic peace' in december the signed an armistice with Germany and began peace negotiations at Brest-Litovsk the treaty as eventually signed according to germany's terms and after trotsky had threaterned to resign twice went ahead only to be reversed by the allied victory on the western front... at the cost of peace between Russia and Germany! hope that answered the question... or did i skoot around it? anyway russia continued with a civil war of its own while the rest of the war went on without it... not long to go and germany is defeated by the allies this ment more troops that were once fighting on the eastern front could aid the western front now...thats all i can remeber...

now my question: now that russia is out of it...what saw the end of the first world war and the last german offensive collapse before their deutch eyes?
allied troops breaking down the hindenburg line... i think not that's not it...my god jesus christ i know absolutely nothing. u people must have elephant minds. HAAAAAALP!

KarmaKitten

HSC
mittens said:

the end of ww1 was due to the failed german offensives and the final massive offensives launched by the allies. The Americans, French, British, Canadian and Australian troops began to launch offensives which pushed the german forces behind the hindenburg line. Also the effect of the blockades and the lack of morale within the army, helped cause the breakdown of the german army.

my question is

how did both german and british government use propoganda and censorship in ww1?

Jos

Britain - propaganda was to promote patriotism and encourage men to enlist. It emphasised German responsiblity for the war and concerntrated on the plight of 'poor Belgium' and German war atrocities.The official govt. branch responsible was the Secret War Propaganda Bureau at beginning of war, then came Department of Info. then came Ministry of info. Was mainly spread through newspapers, the medium of cartoons was very powerful. Also used photos specially crafted newspaper articles, billboards, film, church also supported war effort and so preached accordingly. (I'm goning to let someone else do the censorship part)

German - severely anti-British. There was to be no speaking of English. When Germans met eachother they were expected to mutter "Gott strafe England" (God punish England). The German people had no real understanding of the great loss of life their country had suffered until after the war. When the people found out it was a huge shock. Information from the fornt was tighly controlled. There was a ban on discussion of the peace movement in the press. They were denied info about troop morale, casualties and desertions. There was little organisation behind the propaganda in Germany. The military had its own service called German War News. Propaganda used elitist figure to transmit the message such as intellectuals and military authorities. It was often mixed with racial prejudice.

My Question - Breifly describe some of the tactics of Trench Warfare

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)