• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Writing outside of lines? (1 Viewer)

Clifford

HSC
Pretty dang mundane question, but I was wondering if in exams such as Modern core, Ancient, Religion, Business... well, anything with defined lines in a booklet, are you allowed to write outside the lines? I always write wildly up the sides, with elaborate arrows and whatnot, and often get disapproving 'you can't do that in the HSC' lectures. But is it so?

It seems rather absurd to squeeze tiny writing into the lines to get more space... but I dont want to leave that to chance, that then points wouldn't get marked.

Sorry if this has been asked, I looked around and couldn't find anything. Thanks!

_GOD_

HSC
I have never been able to write in the given space, i usually write at wild but readable speeds, write more then needed and still have time to check over work.
I dont think i can recall a time when i havnt written overboard
except for FKN religion, because our teacher picked which essays we had to write,
had to write about fkn friday prayer at the mosque > Pope John XXIII
Du ma mei gugheung trut trois ung mai lungge na ngig uguit duemeat mei fkn du mee :hammer:

absorber

HSC
From what I've heard of the way things are marked, teachers won't look at it and just go 'Does not compute', and ignore it. It'll be irritating, so don't do it unless it's not much writing and very legible, but they're not gonna give you 0 for it.

hollaholla

HSC
lol i use arrows toooo....hilarious my friends call em...
i go like

seriously...my teachers dont mind it

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nothing wrong with writing over the lines [well at my school], but especially in the HSC, provided that it's legible and fluent - you'll be fine.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yeah you can write outside the lines, but if you're planning to write a lot more then ask for a HSC booklet :)

Tutored

Snooze Fest
HSC
The Examiners are instructed to read and are able to give marks to "everything contained within the booklet" - it is perfectly fine, as long as you don't make a mess of things (as has been covered above) to continue writing outside the lines, down past the page, onto the back and even onto that random sheet with the word "blank page" in the centre - if you so find it necessary.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not sure about other subjects, but with regards to Phys and Chem - if you're writing heaps and heaps beyond the lines, chances are you're either writing too much, or you're not being succinct.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As a Modern History marker all your work will be marked but...please don't write all over the page but use a booklet.

It is often hard to work out where the student wants the marker to go.

Clifford

HSC
Damn, I wish I'd known this before my modern trial. In the core, they gave you about 2 lined (big lined) pages for the 10 markers in section 1, and I felt like I wrote way too little but was too concerned to ask for a booklet. Though, looking at the exemplary answers, they only had two pages and went a bit over, so it might be fine...

urgh, I hate the constant worry post-exam!

On that topic, (not really, slight deviation), does anyone who does modern and the rise of Nazis question know if it was up to 1933 or 1934? God... it better have been 33

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Damn, I wish I'd known this before my modern trial. In the core, they gave you about 2 lined (big lined) pages for the 10 markers in section 1, and I felt like I wrote way too little but was too concerned to ask for a booklet. Though, looking at the exemplary answers, they only had two pages and went a bit over, so it might be fine...

urgh, I hate the constant worry post-exam!

On that topic, (not really, slight deviation), does anyone who does modern and the rise of Nazis question know if it was up to 1933 or 1934? God... it better have been 33
As the question said Rise of the Nazi Party, you could argue either way.

I know I will be looking at my kids answers (in about an hours time) and will see how they justify the cut off date they chose. If they just leave it hanging then I will point out that they need some sort of justification for their decision and point out the arguments the other way.

As the syllabus divides this section into three I would expect the best students to deal with the following three points:

The rise of the Nazi Party
– rise of the Nazi Party (NSDAP) from 1923
– Hitler’s accession to power
– initial consolidation of Nazi power 1933–1934

That would mean that it should go to 1934 but I will use my professional judgement.

However, from experience at the HSC, with that wording in the syllabus, we would be told that no higher than 20/25 for someone who doesn't do the third point as the heading is the same as the question.

Mind you, my experience is with the Personality section and we are always making judgements based on the wording of the question and the syllabus and I have never actually checked it the same thing happens in the essays but I would assume that it does as the Supervisor of Marking has to approve all such decisions.

Clifford

HSC
Didn't the questions specify?

I can't remember exactly, but wasn't it something along the lines of:

'explain/assess (one of them) how the Nazi Party came to power, despite setbacks, in 1933?'

If you're about to mark them (this is so strange to be talking to a teacher across Bos) could you tell me what the question was? Thanks!

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
The key to writing an essay in an exam booklet is to only write on every second line. (ie double space)

That way, if you need to add stuff later or change it you have a whole line above which you can use.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Didn't the questions specify?

I can't remember exactly, but wasn't it something along the lines of:

'explain/assess (one of them) how the Nazi Party came to power, despite setbacks, in 1933?'

If you're about to mark them (this is so strange to be talking to a teacher across Bos) could you tell me what the question was? Thanks!
The question does say by 1933.

I hadn't read it for a couple of weeks when I posted that earlier post and I have just finished marking them and have accepted responses to 33 only of course. Everything past that is ignored as irrelevant.

cassieagill

HSC
it's important to write in the clearest manner possible, in order to help the marker understand what you're writing and therefore maximise potential marks. if you have a problem with space, you can ask for extra writing booklets. also, the hsc booklets are quite generous with their line space, so you shouldn't feel the need to write particularly small
this

Clifford

HSC
Hurrah, huroo,
I feel like the Vietnamese at Dien Bien Phu!

I thought a modern rhyme would nicely compliment the fact I no longer feel like I completely blew modern! Danke Cem!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)