Writing notes/ summaries?? (1 Viewer)

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Hi guys :)

This has been troubling me for quite a long time so I thought I'd make a thread about it to see if I could get any advice. Since year 11 is starting this year I desperately need to know how to properly write notes and summaries for my subjects ( in my signature ). In the past I tend to write down everything in the textbook/workbook and then learn from there. Also how often would you recommend to make notes of the content, like every week or so? Please leave any advice down below as I really want to address this issue before school starts. Thank you :)

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Maths: Don't need notes, just practice. Although making a formula sheet could be useful.

English: Practice writing essays and give to your teacher for feedback.

Chemistry, Biology and S & C: Make syllabus dot points notes. PM me for more details.

As for how often you make your notes, I'd say every week because by the time exams come you can just whip out your notes and skim through them.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks! This really helped, I'll definitely be PM'ing you as soon as I get back, I need all the help I can get :)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Hi guys :)

This has been troubling me for quite a long time so I thought I'd make a thread about it to see if I could get any advice. Since year 11 is starting this year I desperately need to know how to properly write notes and summaries for my subjects ( in my signature ). In the past I tend to write down everything in the textbook/workbook and then learn from there. Also how often would you recommend to make notes of the content, like every week or so? Please leave any advice down below as I really want to address this issue before school starts. Thank you :)
Honestly there's no formulaic way to write down notes. You need to find a method that works for you. It depends what kind of learner you are. If you're visual, use lots of diagrams. If you're aural, make podcasts of you reading your work and listen to them when you go to school. If you learn through rote, make sure your notes are concise but detailed enough for revision etc

Since you're only entering year 11, I wouldn't really recommend doing summaries each week. Tbh I barely studied during the year and did fine. A lot of my study was done before prelims or class tests. You're going to burn yourself out a lot if you're working to do summaries each week (heck I don't even do that for year 12). Just do summaries when you need to. They're not quintessential.

Also I didn't really make summaries at all (except for math which I will explain later). I just made sets of detailed notes and studied from that and did lots of past papers. Keep in mind what worked for me will not necessarily work for you :)

Also people who say you don't need notes for math, I wouldn't completely disregard that idea. I made notes for maths, but mind you they were quick summaries outlining core concepts I really needed to know, with all the essential formulas and maybe a few examples. It's a good way to revise. But I also did a lot of practice.

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Honestly there's no formulaic way to write down notes. You need to find a method that works for you. It depends what kind of learner you are. If you're visual, use lots of diagrams. If you're aural, make podcasts of you reading your work and listen to them when you go to school. If you learn through rote, make sure your notes are concise but detailed enough for revision etc

Since you're only entering year 11, I wouldn't really recommend doing summaries each week. Tbh I barely studied during the year and did fine. A lot of my study was done before prelims or class tests. You're going to burn yourself out a lot if you're working to do summaries each week (heck I don't even do that for year 12). Just do summaries when you need to. They're not quintessential.

Also I didn't really make summaries at all (except for math which I will explain later). I just made sets of detailed notes and studied from that and did lots of past papers. Keep in mind what worked for me will not necessarily work for you :)

Also people who say you don't need notes for math, I wouldn't completely disregard that idea. I made notes for maths, but mind you they were quick summaries outlining core concepts I really needed to know, with all the essential formulas and maybe a few examples. It's a good way to revise. But I also did a lot of practice.
Thank you so much rumble roar!! You're advice is extremely useful, you've definitely helped Me :) thanks buddy

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Justem i bought a book for 2u math that consists of just formualas and examples. Its called important facts and formulas year 11 maths, also available in ex1. its really helpful as a resource for when doing homework or revision pre exam.

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Justem i bought a book for 2u math that consists of just formualas and examples. Its called important facts and formulas year 11 maths, also available in ex1. its really helpful as a resource for when doing homework or revision pre exam.
Oh that's awesome! Did you buy it off BOS or like in an actual bookstore?

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
no i went to dymocks, it was pretty rare tbh, there were like only 4 stocked. it costs $14.30 RRP but managed to get it for $10
Just a question did you get it for $10 because it was on sale?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
np, It's fairly useful. nownside is that it only provides 1 example, but who cares pretty epic for $10. btw the author Warwick Marlin writes all formula books for all yrs.

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
np, It's fairly useful. nownside is that it only provides 1 example, but who cares pretty epic for $10. btw the author Warwick Marlin writes all formula books for all yrs.
No for $10 that's definitely brilliant! I'll be sure to tell you if I manage to find it today, definitely going to buy it

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
anything at dymocks is getting really cheap atm, its going out of business, good time to stock up, I am desperate for an IPT book but the one's at dymocks were small summary and revision books.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Biology - Make summaries under each dot-point.

Excel preliminary biology gives good examples.

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
[ QUOTE=iJimmy;6518091]anything at dymocks is getting really cheap atm, its going out of business, good time to stock up, I am desperate for an IPT book but the one's at dymocks were small summary and revision books.[/QUOTE]

Would you mind if the IPT book was second hand? Because I could help you find one via BOS or Gumtree :)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
it was on sale from RRP to 12.99 and then got a further member discount.

enoilgam

HSC
Definitely agree with this - what works for one person may not work for another. So you need to have a good understanding of what works for you and implement that in your note writing strategy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)