Would you do a PHD for medicine? (1 Viewer)

Medman

HSC
Consultants keep mentioning that ideally we need a PHD's in order to be competitive to get a job in a hospital. This is most likely true due to the increased amount of med students in NSW in particular and also the amount of overseas trained doctors flooding Australia. Bumped into an overseas trained cardiologist today (he was our previous tutor) and he is 1 year away from finishing his PHD. The only reason why he wanted to do the PHD was to get a job at Westmead hospital as a consultant. This was from here say, almost half of BPT trainees applying for AT positions apparently had completed PHDs (Not sure how accurate this is but if it was true that would be terrible. I am quite skeptic about this figure).

Just wondering how many people would be willing to complete a PHD for medicine?

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Definitely would. Theres a few unis that offers a MD/PHD. I think ANU? Know theres others but cant think of them.

How would one though juggle a PHD with a MD... or would they do a few years of just PHD and then the rest of the time just MD

bangladesh

HSC
Definitely would. Theres a few unis that offers a MD/PHD. I think ANU? Know theres others but cant think of them.

How would one though juggle a PHD with a MD... or would they do a few years of just PHD and then the rest of the time just MD
from what i know (and that's not very much), It takes an extra 2 years with the phd/MD but that's still shorter than the normal time a phd would take, so it's like they've speeded up the process kinda. (don't quote me on this tho, not too sure)

As for the phd, i would be interested to do a phd eitherway, It seems very appealing to me regardless of the increased job opportunities it'd provide. But i really do like research and am willing to get involved in medical research as of this summer hopefully (during my undergrad degree)

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Considering doing a Masters of Public Health after my MBBS at the moment actually.

Medman

HSC

A friend I know does it concurrently so whatever time he has from hospital he spends doing his PHD. He is taking a year off to finish it so I guess the arrangement is flexible.

Considering doing a Masters of Public Health after my MBBS at the moment actually.
What are you thinking of ending up in?

Also from speaking to a few people who had already completed their PHDs almost all have said they would not do it again if they had the choice. Again medical PHDs may differ from other types of PHDs but to think that's the case is quite terrifying.

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Consultants keep mentioning that ideally we need a PHD's in order to be competitive to get a job in a hospital. This is most likely true due to the increased amount of med students in NSW in particular and also the amount of overseas trained doctors flooding Australia. Bumped into an overseas trained cardiologist today (he was our previous tutor) and he is 1 year away from finishing his PHD. The only reason why he wanted to do the PHD was to get a job at Westmead hospital as a consultant. This was from here say, almost half of BPT trainees applying for AT positions apparently had completed PHDs (Not sure how accurate this is but if it was true that would be terrible. I am quite skeptic about this figure).

Just wondering how many people would be willing to complete a PHD for medicine?
same tbh, i know it helps from what people have told me but i don't think the figure is really that high

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
What are you thinking of ending up in?
No idea, but it'll make any college application more attractive. That being said, I would NOT do medicine again given the choice.

Medman

HSC
No idea, but it'll make any college application more attractive. That being said, I would NOT do medicine again given the choice.
It does, btw when do you graduate?. I've heard that for some AT positions they make you promise to do a PHD. Regarding dermatology, the only two ways to get into the program is to have a PHD in derm and kiss lots of ass or graduate top in your cohort in a reputable university (USYD, UMelb, UNSW etc.).

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
if have any questions about that ask me so i can ask mom cos she did that after she finished her mbbs.

Last edited:

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
It does, btw when do you graduate?. I've heard that for some AT positions they make you promise to do a PHD. Regarding dermatology, the only two ways to get into the program is to have a PHD in derm and kiss lots of ass or graduate top in your cohort in a reputable university (USYD, UMelb, UNSW etc.).
I'm sorry if this is random but are u an intern or resident? ur like a pro :D

Last edited:

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Hating to sound dumb but whats AT an abbreviation for?

Medman

HSC
both of my parents are doctors.

Mom- Consultant, rehabilitation
Dad- consultant, anesthetist.

wbu?
Lowly med student not enjoying life. Would probably suit surg but minor health issues and the inability to stay awake with not enough sleep is a no no for surg. I don't really want to do internal medicine because there's just too much information to commit to memory, I'm dying already. Anesthesiology so hard to get into nowadays and probably needs a PHD at the end too.

Just found out today you can also be a hospital administrator after your medical degree.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Lowly med student not enjoying life. Would probably suit surg but minor health issues and the inability to stay awake with not enough sleep is a no no for surg. I don't really want to do internal medicine because there's just too much information to commit to memory, I'm dying already. Anesthesiology so hard to get into nowadays and probably needs a PHD at the end too.
Just to chime in, PhDs are not mandatory. As I have mentioned in a previous thread, I have met new consultants this year without any research who graduated from fellowship last year and are spending their first year of consultancy in a metropolitan public hospital. While research is useful, it is not mandatory.

To answer the question, I would do a PhD if I thought it was necessary, which I do not at this time for all bar a few specialities. The real question is whether a PhD really adds anything to your practice as a clinician and I believe in most cases that answer to be a no. It becomes hard to juggle research and clinical practice and too much research activity may impact negatively on your clinical skills. The PhD surgeon isn't necessarily the most technically or clinically gifted, simply because they are not spending as much time operating.

Regarding internal medicine and too much information, it is worth noting than other specialities also are large in their scope of knowledge. Be comforted by the fact that every speciality is going to have some sucky exams to get through.

Medman

HSC
Just to chime in, PhDs are not mandatory. As I have mentioned in a previous thread, I have met new consultants this year without any research who graduated from fellowship last year and are spending their first year of consultancy in a metropolitan public hospital. While research is useful, it is not mandatory.

To answer the question, I would do a PhD if I thought it was necessary, which I do not at this time for all bar a few specialities. The real question is whether a PhD really adds anything to your practice as a clinician and I believe in most cases that answer to be a no. It becomes hard to juggle research and clinical practice and too much research activity may impact negatively on your clinical skills. The PhD surgeon isn't necessarily the most technically or clinically gifted, simply because they are not spending as much time operating.

Regarding internal medicine and too much information, it is worth noting than other specialities also are large in their scope of knowledge. Be comforted by the fact that every speciality is going to have some sucky exams to get through.
Just wondering which hospital just out of curiosity. I think the general consensus now is that a PhD may bring prestige to the hospital and therefore, bringing in more funding and patients. I have not met any consultants from competitive specialties without a PhD nowadays. For less competitive specialties (geris, palliative, rehab etc.) there are still gaps for people without PhDs but for specialties such as cardiology, gastroenterology etc. Please enlighten me if I am wrong though as I would love to hear a some good news for non PhD candidates.

Last edited:

hayabusaboston

HSC
EVERYONE wants to do fucking medicine lol holy shit. It will one day lose its prestige and ppl will stop seeing it as this massive godly achievement they have to get at any cost.

Its legit fucking irritating to see how many people are so obsessed with getting into medicine. Like farout, pick something else, your life doesnt depend on this one career.

Medman

HSC
EVERYONE wants to do fucking medicine lol holy shit. It will one day lose its prestige and ppl will stop seeing it as this massive godly achievement they have to get at any cost.

Its legit fucking irritating to see how many people are so obsessed with getting into medicine. Like farout, pick something else, your life doesnt depend on this one career.
Definitely agree my friend. That is why I'm showing students it's not all glory or rewarding as many people assume it is. I have come to the stage where doing something you enjoy is more important but I think in 10 years time I might have a flip around. Oh how life changes.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

Lol why r u so irritated at ppl wanting to do medicine?

Let people aspire to do what they want lol, there is no logical reason apart from not wanting competition that u would be irritated or upset by heaps of people wanting to do it

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)