Would you be allowed extra points for ATAR if you have family issues? (1 Viewer)

Laughable

HSC
Issues meaning emotional/verbal/physical abuse and all that jazz. It's kinda making me even more stressed about education and whatnot.
I heard it's possible you can get extra points for your ATAR if you have problems or something... Anyone to enlighten me if this is true or not?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
These are things you will need to bring up with your counsellor and school. Without going into more details (and I wouldn't recommend this with a bunch of randoms online), we are unable to discern one way or another.

In relation to your situation, I would like to bring your attention to this thread - http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=94439 - where it is possible to talk to someone through your issues.

stereoheart

HSC
Im not sure if this will help you but our coordinator told us a story where a girl did recieve some extra points because her father was abusive and her family environment sucked. But the trouble is, the BOS wanted his signature too. So it was difficult to get him to sign off on papers saying that he was abusing her but awkward as it may be, she still got him to sign it.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes you can. When I was in grade 7 and my sister was doing the HSC, my dad passed away and she was the last person to see him before he died and the first person who found him dead, she got extra 5 points or what not for her HSC. So it is possible.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes you can. When I was in grade 7 and my sister was doing the HSC, my dad passed away and she was the last person to see him before he died and the first person who found him dead, she got extra 5 points or what not for her HSC. So it is possible.
That's quite confronting...

Dylanamali

HSC
Yes it is possible.
For my friend, however it wasn't just "5 extra points" but rather after he completed his HSC exams, IF his exam mark was lower then his assessment mark, he received his assessment mark for his exam mark.
It's basically like getting illness and misadventure for all your exams.

Clean Sweep

HSC
You can also get extra points for other things like if you've got a little brother or sister to look after. At least that's what my Careers Adviser told me. You will have to fill out a form, I've seen last year's form and this year's form will be coming in July, again according Careers Adviser. I know I'll be filling one out because I've got the above issue.

Talk to your Careers Adviser or relevant people about it after the holidays.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes it is possible.
For my friend, however it wasn't just "5 extra points" but rather after he completed his HSC exams, IF his exam mark was lower then his assessment mark, he received his assessment mark for his exam mark.
It's basically like getting illness and misadventure for all your exams.
Wow, that's a really big advantage...it's like a guarantee to do well (assuming your assessment is decent).

Dylanamali

HSC
Wow, that's a really big advantage...it's like a guarantee to do well (assuming your assessment is decent).
Yeah, exactly.. everyone of his exams in the end didn't count except for ONE.
coz he had really good internal rankings (top 3 in everything), probably helped him get an extra 2-3 ATAR points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)