Would u rather someone tell u the truth or lie? (1 Viewer)

Do you like the truth?

• Yes

Votes: 115 87.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 12.9%

• Total voters

Ziff

HSC
N/A
It doesn't prove or disprove anything. That applies to some people, just as mine applies to some people. It's typically the sort of people who watch too much Neighbours and Home and Away, however, who advocate people telling the truth because they're suckers for controversy. "Oh look! Here's the truth, let's have a fight so we have something to gossip about! YAY!!!"

It's not a matter of telling people what they want to hear, it's a matter of avoiding problems for both you and the other person.

Then again, there is no such thing as the truth. That's why everything can be spun to sound good even if it's a load of crap.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Omission is the best way to lie.

meshy

Originally posted by Ziff
It doesn't prove or disprove anything.
Lucky I didn't say it proved anything then

That applies to some people, just as mine applies to some people. It's typically the sort of people who watch too much Neighbours and Home and Away, however, who advocate people telling the truth because they're suckers for controversy. "Oh look! Here's the truth, let's have a fight so we have something to gossip about! YAY!!!"
Sure, that's one perspective (in your previous post I thought you were referring to everyone when you said "the only reason people..") - but some people (the listeners) just value being told the truth and getting closer to understanding how someone else 'truly' feels, above feeling good all the time.

It's not a matter of telling people what they want to hear, it's a matter of avoiding problems for both you and the other person.
If you can't be truthful with those who you are close to, I'd say that could become a recurring problem (rather than one which can be simply avoided). When it comes to those close to us, why do you see some truths (which admittedly may cause problems in the short-term, if the truth hurts them in the long-term it'd be people we're probably best off not hanging around anyway) as something we must necessarily avoid?

Then again, there is no such thing as the truth. That's why everything can be spun to sound good even if it's a load of crap.
True, but best to start another thread if you want to begin debating whether or not there's such a thing as objective truth ;)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by meshy
Lucky I didn't say it proved anything then

Sure, that's one perspective (in your previous post I thought you were referring to everyone when you said "the only reason people..") - but some people (the listeners) just value being told the truth and getting closer to understanding how someone else 'truly' feels, above feeling good all the time.
Mmm maybe with some people. Personally, I'm adverse to letting anyone really know anything about me which is probably why I'm not really into this truth thing. I still see it as potentially causing more problems and outweighing any potential benefits. Selective truth maybe, a better way of putting it.

If you can't be truthful with those who you are close to, I'd say that could become a recurring problem (rather than one which can be simply avoided). When it comes to those close to us, why do you see some truths (which admittedly may cause problems in the short-term, if the truth hurts them in the long-term it'd be people we're probably best off not hanging around anyway) as something we must necessarily avoid?
Well I didn't mean lie all the time, but definitely there are times when it's more preferable to telling the outright truth. I took the question as being int he context of a critical time. E.g. admit to something and every one reaps consequences or just lie about it and it'll blow over! Even omitting details or just not telling them at all. You might want to be truthful about certain things, but I still think that there are always things you'll want to hide/obfuscate/not disclose/outright lie about no matter who you're talking to.

True, but best to start another thread if you want to begin debating whether or not there's such a thing as objective truth ;) [/B]
Take it to the ExtHist forum :p

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i like 2 b Frank n outspoken n i expect others 2 b the same with me....i say wat i want 2 on the person's face rather than backbiting.....well , dats how i am!!!

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by elizabethy
i like 2 b Frank n outspoken n i expect others 2 b the same with me....i say wat i want 2 on the person's face rather than backbiting.....well , dats how i am!!!
Yeah, I found that's generally not a good idea when what you think about certain people isn't exactly "nice" and they just happen to be a fellow colleague/worker/student/classmate etc :p

Hence, a diplomatic approach! I still think that if nothing but the truth was ever uttered we'd be in a much worse world than we are now.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by meshy
Wrong. Some people (the speaker) tell those who are close to them (the listener) the truth because it gives the listener an accurate representation of how the speaker truly feels, rather than the listener only having someone who tells them what they want to hear.

This disproves your flimsy claim that people only tell the truth cos they have a huge amount of guilt. Some people prefer having truthful people around them who don't make them happy 100% of the time, than being surrounded by agreeable machines who tells lies to maintain the (artificial) flow of happiness.

:)
Don't worry bout Ziff, his ideas resonate along the lines of "I'm right. You wrong."

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AsyLum
Don't worry bout Ziff, his ideas resonate along the lines of "I'm right. You wrong."
And yours don't :rolleyes:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
And yours don't :rolleyes:
Rofl. Of course not.

They are canon. geez. I dont have to prove anything.

Get with the program.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Navjeet
but when they ask you directly, it's best to tell the truth.
Lying only lengthens and increases the pain and aftermath.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Lying only lengthens and increases the pain and aftermath.

Who says there will be an aftermath? :p Dont lose hope...ignorance reigns supreme :D

Last edited:

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Rofl. Of course not.

They are canon. geez. I dont have to prove anything.

Get with the program.
Learn to spell programme!

The way I spell is the correct way, like, geez.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
If they ask plead ignorance. It's unlikely they'll ask. If shit hits the fan lie some more and hope to god one of their gossip-monger mates won't blow your story!

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Learn to spell programme!

The way I spell is the correct way, like, geez.
And I suppose you spell jail as gaol and joke as goak? Thats their correct spellings, after all, if we want to dismiss americanism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)