Would it be a bad idea to use BOS notes as study notes? (1 Viewer)

jarrodoliver1

HSC
Title.

Would it be better to refer to them and write my own? They seem pretty well in-depth.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Depends, for some people writing notes in itself is a good revision. If you are the type to study last minute then BOS notes are pretty good.

jarrodoliver1

HSC
Okay, thanks mate. I was thinking that if i have less time note writing i can have more time doing past hsc papers. Not sure whethers its a great thought though..

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you have time, definitely make your own notes to supplement the BOS notes, particularly for things like English, which are less fact-oriented. But aim to do as many past papers as possible.

Peeik

HSC
The process of writing your own notes is more valuable than the notes itself. I would highly recommend you use BoS notes and textbooks to construct your own notes.

captainpigs

Tutor and Note Seller
HSC
Uni Grad
Make ONE complete set of notes, and add and change these ones. DO not keep making new sets of notes. Or just go to www.lolhsc.com its a new website and its notes helped me alot this year however atm its limited

deswa1

HSC
It depends on YOU personally. If you can learn without writing notes (I.e. reading others), it saves heaps of time. I never wrote notes for any subject (bar compiling stats for Eco) and the other top end people in phys/chem at my school didn't either (we used a few sets of state rank notes) and we all did alright. If though you learn from the process of writing the notes, then yeah, I'd recommend writing your own

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends, for some people writing notes in itself is a good revision. If you are the type to study last minute then BOS notes are pretty good.
This.

It comes down to how you learn best- some are better at learning just by reading and others learn from making notes.

I personally wouldn't rely on someone else's notes without writing a substantial amount myself and verifying they were reliable. Keep in mind BoS notes tend to be uploaded and shared AFTER the author has done their HSC in which case your would be using notes a year old- depending on subject and whether the curriculum has been updated, this could be dangerous eg economics.

That being said for open book exams where you can bring material in (eg some university exams) then that's a different story.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends how you like to do it.

I used to refer to multiple books/notes/my work etc. when making summaries to get compare and that-sometimes I'd pull the dotpoint summary straight out, sometimes I'd make my own pretty coloured table to reinforce something I couldn't remember-so I did a hybrid. It also depends on the subject-some subjects I found nots very useful-other subs where most would sweat by making your own I didn't bother/or just skimmed others.

Bobbo1

HSC
If you have time, definitely make your own notes to supplement the BOS notes, particularly for things like English, which are less fact-oriented. But aim to do as many past papers as possible.
This, English should be a very personal subject in that you'll need your own opinion/spin on a text to do well. For other theory based subjects just make sure to use a good set of notes you'll be fine

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed re: English in particular. It's really hard to try to use someone else's point of view and clearly articulate it because it wasn't your own. It's definitely easier to come up with your own stuff particularly when you need to remember it for an exam.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I strongly recommend you make your own notes, as tempting as it is. You could use BoS notes to check for holes in your own.

sinawi

HSC
It's not a bad idea to use BOS notes. A new and different student perspective via a set of notes or strategy to a particular assessment task will definitely aid your existing approach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)