• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Work experience (1 Viewer)

shinn

HSC
Usually in year 10, students are required to do 1 week of work experience in most schools. What place did you work at or want to work at during this period? e.g. hospitial, bookshop etc. What are some jobs that's actually worthwhile going?
Lets discuss.:wave:

Feiyt

HSC
Well...I'm actually smack bang in the middle of my work experience right now, and I'm at Sydney Children's Hospital. I have to say, it's really interesting, and I think it's one of the most rewarding experiences of my life- because now I've decided that I definately want to be a doctor now.

So when you do choose work experience, I think that's a good idea to find an organisation that's pretty big, and actually has a work experience program that is really good, i.e. hospitals, law firms, etc. That's if you're ambitious though ^^. It also requires you to either be really early, really impressive, or have a contact in the organisation.

Good luck! :)

Feiyt

HSC
Well, they organised my timetable so I go into quite a few departments, each for around 1/2 a day, so no particular department. I think there's 2 types of work experience though, medical and nursing. I'm in medical ^^.

Last edited:

justbecause

icanhascheezburger
HSC
I have no idea either what I'm going to do this year :\
Preferably something in design and/or technology, who knows.

ALphOnSe

HSC
Feiyt said:
Well...I'm actually smack bang in the middle of my work experience right now, and I'm at Sydney Children's Hospital. I have to say, it's really interesting, and I think it's one of the most rewarding experiences of my life- because now I've decided that I definately want to be a doctor now.

So when you do choose work experience, I think that's a good idea to find an organisation that's pretty big, and actually has a work experience program that is really good, i.e. hospitals, law firms, etc. That's if you're ambitious though ^^. It also requires you to either be really early, really impressive, or have a contact in the organisation.

So um u make potions?? im interested :) a hospital or medical clinic sounds good...no more bookshop for me
:)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Some catholic schools like mine do community service for a set number of hours instead of work experience.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
In year 10 I never did nor had to do work experience although it was a common misconception that many students believed you had to which they didn't, unless there course required.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I just dropped off into Woolies the last minute since I was never keen on work experience and didn't even bother looking :p Spoilsport I am, I know :p

Golden Creeper

HSC
N/A
Feiyt said:

could i ask you, what type of placements you did at the sydney children's hospital?

Feiyt

HSC
I was a medical officer, so no particular department. I was in every department, except for the emergency ward, which is apparently not suitable.

I think you can either apply for medical officer, or nursing officer. Your choice. ^^

passion89

HSC
My school required us to do 2 weeks so that was...fun... I did salvation army and bookstore.
Fun times
Word of warning - do not go work at the bank because you will be EXTREMELY bored

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
My cousins Real Estate office.

MM, it smells like lies and money. Much like a law firm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)