Windows Vista (1 Viewer)

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I'm liking the look of it so far - I'm aiming to get a dual-core laptop for uni at the end of this year with Vista. Check out a review of the latest Vista build (remember it's still months from release) here. Either way, it's a hell of a lot shinier than XP. And that's where half the appeal lies. :p

I_F

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
haha wtf is with this about SuperFetch
You may have experienced sluggish behavior after booting your machine, after performing a fast user switch, or even after lunch. Although too many carbohydrates might slow you down after lunch, your computer slows down for different reasons.
using usb flash drives as RAM?
Windows Vista introduces a new concept in adding memory to a system. USB flash drives can be used as External Memory Devices (EMDs) to extend system memory and improve performance without opening the box.
Meh overall it looks, sounds and feel like a great os worth upgrading from winxp. The sophisticated calendar/organiser, "WinLive" that allows u to see thumbnails of EVERYTHING, the new WMP 11.

I dunno, if it's around $200aud (like the current price for winxp) it's well worth it.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
i wouldnt get it as soon as it comes out, wait a year or two. knowing microsoft there will be gazillions of bugs. in two years, all the tweaks will beout and it will be fine tunes and i get it for free. :jedi:

co6

Knight
HSC
It looks nice, feels nice, the new 3D task switcher works quite well, as does the PIP feature in the taskbar. The new start menu is MUCH more streamlined, and it really is simpler and faster to launch programs through it.

EMD? I think it's kind of stupid seeing as the average flash drive isn't actually as fast as your hard drive.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I know i will certainly be grabing an Academic version of it when it comes out. The GUI is just so much cleaner and simpler than XP.

However, if you are tight for cash, your money would be better spent on purchasing Office 12 when its released. The new office is just amazing, and so much more simpler to use than previous versions.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
I have to say, it's getting better every time I see a revision. I didn't like the look of it at first, but the newest screenshots are not as chunky. I'm not sure if I'll upgrade when it comes out, might wait for a service pack first.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Does it still have a lot of funky movements and animations? When I tried the last beta it made me a bit motion sick, so I didn't try it much.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
HotShot said:
i wouldnt get it as soon as it comes out, wait a year or two. knowing microsoft there will be gazillions of bugs. in two years, all the tweaks will beout and it will be fine tunes and i get it for free. :jedi:
agreed .

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Any reasoning to back up why such visuals are such a detriment?

syslink

HSC
windows is a bloated piece of shit os, go the *nix i say!

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I hardly find windows bloated.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
syslink said:
windows is a bloated piece of shit os, go the *nix i say!
Taking back the internet, one *nix fatty at a time...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it'll need killer PC specs to run properly- and I'm happy with my XP... so until I get a new PC, then I'll wait. I also prefer to get OS original (that's one thing which you don't wanna get off BT IMO), and I might as well get it free with a new Dell or something.

And ironically half the people who brag about the various *nix incarnations don't know jack about it, or are only using it for bragging rights alongside their Windows PC which is what they spend most of their time using.

... and yes I have a Sun Microsystems PC running Unix- but it's mostly used by my father for testing/debugging his software. I have no use for it.

(EDIT)
Btw am I the only one who finds the African-American man wearing a green shirt (on the Windows Vista website) somewhat amusing? He seems very "happy" that Windows Vista introduces a breakthrough user experience and is designed to help you feel confident in your ability to view, find, and organize information and to control your computing experience.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/default.aspx

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)