Will this be bad for my Atar? (1 Viewer)

ZonedOut

Bing bang diggiriggidong
HSC
Hi everyone, I'm trying to make it into either University of Sydney or UNSW. I'm in Year 10 and found out that some of my chosen courses are clashing so I have to drop something.

Problem: AH and Bio.

I really want to do Ancient history; so I'm thinking of dropping Biology and keeping Anc. History and picking up Economics in place of Biology.

That would mean I have no science subjects..

will this impact my ATAR? I have limited knowledge on how ATAR or HSC works so just wanted to ask if its a bad idea to have none of the science subjects.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lucas_

HSC
It won't affect your ATAR persay (chemistry and physics do scale quite well, but only if you achieve reasonably in them.

Where it could impact you is in terms of which university courses you're interested in. A lot of courses have chemistry or physics as a prerequisite to study that course, however I guess you could always do a bridging course if you really wanted too...

The short it is that no, not picking science won't screw your atar :)

madharris

HSC
N/A
Not picking a science is advantageous if you're not good at them.
Even if subjects scale well, if you don't like them and don't do well in them, only then will it be bad for your atar

Just pick subjects that your enjoy and you think you will do well at

Sindivyn

HSC
Economics actually scales better than sciences, so if you're good at Eco and hate sciences it will be very beneficial.

ZonedOut

Bing bang diggiriggidong
HSC
Not picking a science is advantageous if you're not good at them.
Even if subjects scale well, if you don't like them and don't do well in them, only then will it be bad for your atar

Just pick subjects that your enjoy and you think you will do well at
Yeah, thanks for that - I really hate science and all that stuff. Don't think I want to have anything to do with science in the future.

It won't affect your ATAR persay (chemistry and physics do scale quite well, but only if you achieve reasonably in them.

Where it could impact you is in terms of which university courses you're interested in. A lot of courses have chemistry or physics as a prerequisite to study that course, however I guess you could always do a bridging course if you really wanted too...

The short it is that no, not picking science won't screw your atar :)
Ah, thanks for that very detailed explanation it was very helpful - thank you so much once again.

Economics actually scales better than sciences, so if you're good at Eco and hate sciences it will be very beneficial.
Oh okay - I don't know if I'm good at Eco or not because I haven't done it before, but I think I will like the subjects.

Marc26

HSC
I thought prerequisites for uni's are gone now..

enoilgam

HSC
You should be fine then - if you dont like science and arent good at it, then you shouldnt really pick them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)