Will doing Standard English really hurt my ATAR? (1 Viewer)

Year10er

HSC
I don't really know my ability in English, because I haven't tried properly this year, and I already selected Advanced, but I doubt I will get in.

I have heard so much stuff about how poorly Standard English aligns. I have heard that only 5% of the state get Band 5 or above, with the rest 95% getting a Band 4 or below.

If I don't come in the top 3 (and I doubt I will), will doing Standard English REALLY bring my ATAR down?

Thanks.

Bobbo1

HSC
Even is you consider yourself as average in english try to do advanced rather than standard because an average mark in advanced might be higher than the top marks for standard. I'd say if your aiming for a 90+ atar, then it could damage it a bit, but for less than 90 it shouldn't be too bad.

loaves

HSC
Yep, it is generally more beneficial to do average in advanced than do well at standard. I would advise against doing standard unless you truly think you won't cope in advanced. Find out what texts your school does for both, look them up and see if you can handle them.

If the school doesn't let you in, it's always worth having a chat with the principal/English department head. Seeing you take initiative will usually impress them, and you get the chance to explain that you've had a rough year and are planning to work harder. If they're not unreasonable (and your marks aren't absolutely terrible) they might make an exception. Good luck! :)

D94

HSC
N/A
Standard doesn't appear to be any more easier than Advanced; you still need to apply the same knowledge of techniques, quotes, relating to text etc., so you're pretty much doing the same thing on apparently easier texts. You may as well choose Advanced; you're far better off in hindsight.

joezia

HSC
im 1st in standard english, and i got higher marks in paper 1 and paper 2 in the trial than about 90% of the advanced english class, am i heaps disadvantaged though compared to all these advanced students when it comes to scaling overall? with the external exam and everything

Last edited:

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I am doing Standard :(

Hopefully it won't impact me. But I do believe even if you do standard if you try hard you will go well

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Do Advanced...seriously do advanced

Doing "worse" in Adv than Standard tends to be better in the end because of aligning.

Year10er

HSC
When I told my English head teacher that few people get Band 6's in Standard, she says like "It's not like that anymore."

Seriously, how do you argue with someone who won't even acknowledge it?

Last edited:

joezia

HSC
When I told my English head teacher that few people get Band 6's in Standard, she says like "It's not like that anymore."

Seriously, how do you argue with someone who won't even acknowledge it?
shes sort of right, i mean 6 or 7 people got band 6 in standard in 2006, last year around 63 people got a band 6, so it isnt like how it was before, but its still a very low percentage

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
shes sort of right, i mean 6 or 7 people got band 6 in standard in 2006, last year around 63 people got a band 6, so it isnt like how it was before, but its still a very low percentage
The OP told the teacher "very few people" which implies probably 1% or less. "It's not like that anymore" implies that it is a decent amount more than 1% which is wrong.

ReneeApple

HSC
im 1st in standard english, and i got higher marks in paper 1 and paper 2 in the trial than about 90% of the advanced english class, am i heaps disadvantaged though compared to all these advanced students when it comes to scaling overall? with the external exam and everything
No. Standard can scale all right if you do very well in it (like you are).

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
dont do it! pick advanced.
I carelessly chose std. english for yr 11 and had to work my ass off to move up for yr 12.
same level and amount of work, you will be in a competitive environment if you choose adv. and you will also have better skills in terms of vocab and analysis if you choose adv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)